• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Glock .380ACP????

WalkingWolf

The 380 built in other countries were built on existing larger caliber frames. The 42 is a entirely new gun built in the US smaller than the other Glocks and single stack. The reason for the 380s built in other countries is some countries do not allow civilians to have military caliber guns. All that said I am not interested, there are smaller 9mm firearms out there with a good reputation for the same of less money than the Glock.

mobiushky

I have been reading that Glock is releasing a .380ACP, the Glock 42. For the longest time the BATFE wouldn't allow Glock .380's in the country. What has changed to allow it now?

http://us.glock.com/products/model/g42

The key piece of info is the "Made in the USA" part. Most of the reasons you can't get a specific firearm is because of the import laws. Well, consider that a rule of thumb. If you can't get it, it's probably an import issue. Since the new 42's are made in the US, they are not imported.

Now here's where it's a stupid thing. The reason I understand the 25 and the 28 are not allowed to be imported is because they fail the "sporting use" test and don't score enough points to pass. Funny thing is, the 42 is smaller than the 25 and the 28 which means if it were imported, it would score even lower, LOL! SO, by not allowing the 25 or the 28, we now have a firearm that the BATFE(GTWALPBUWNGI...) deems to be more evil, but since it's made in the US now, it's ok.

While I personally have no interest, this might be the firearm for my M-I-L. She's moderately recoil sensitive and tried to shoot my wife's 9mm and couldn't handle it. This is larger than most pocket .380's, but not as heavy as the larger ones. Kind of middle of the road. If I could try one out, it might fit the bill.

.45acp

I have a G 25 at my home in Brazil. While not a huge fan of Glocks or the .380, the G 25 is a very pleasant pistol to shoot. Due to the size and low recoil, it shoots very very fast. A Brazilian buddy of mine said it was like watching someone shoot a squirt gun.

WalkingWolf

I might be mistaken, but I believe a semi auto handgun needs to have a manual safety to be imported. Originally Toks did not have manual safety, one was added to them to be imported. Not positive but I believe that now all the glocks now made for US market are made in the US.

tomrkba

I have been reading that Glock is releasing a .380ACP, the Glock 42. For the longest time the BATFE wouldn't allow Glock .380's in the country. What has changed to allow it now?

http://us.glock.com/products/model/g42

Pet peeve...there is no Glock .380ACP. It is a Glock Model 42 chambered in 380 ACP. Are you trying to say Glock is releasing their own line of ammunition starting with 380 ACP? Or are you trying to talk about the model chambered in that caliber? It's just as ambiguous as saying "Glock 40". There is no "Glock 40" and by referring to a shortened version of the caliber, it either means a Glock 22, 23, 27 or 35 or a new model. Glock should have released a Model 40 and chambered it in any caliber other than 40 S&W just to annoy all the idiots who are too lazy to learn what model number is on the side of their pistol.

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I might be mistaken, but I believe a semi auto handgun needs to have a manual safety to be imported. Originally Toks did not have manual safety, one was added to them to be imported. Not positive but I believe that now all the glocks now made for US market are made in the US.

Glocks are still made in Austria, as well as the U.S., for the U.S. market. Glocks were/are not required to have manual safeties, unless there is some new law. I could be wrong with some of this, but the last three Glocks I have bought, all within the past year, have been made in Austria.

Kopis

Glocks are still made in Austria, as well as the U.S., for the U.S. market. Glocks were/are not required to have manual safeties, unless there is some new law. I could be wrong with some of this, but the last three Glocks I have bought, all within the past year, have been made in Austria.

you might want to check your proof marks on the barrel. Most are being made in the USA now even tho the gun still says "AUSTRIA" on the side of the slide. Ive purchased and sold several glocks in the past year as well and thought they were all Austrian made till i looked at the proof marks.

To the OP, i believe it is because the G42 is entirely made in the USA. I saw the g42 at a gun show a few weekends ago. Very small and way overpriced. M&P shield in 9mm is a better buy IMO and im a glock fan boy usually.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Every Glock I have seen has been stamped with Austria, just like all Colts used to be stamped with Hartford CT. I will have to look again, but I believe the new advertised as made in the US Glock 42 is stamped Austria.

Mia Culpa, the 42's are stamped USA. But other than that every single Glock I have seen, even the brand new ones are stamped Austria. So it would appear that either Glocks are actually NOT made in the US as I have heard their owners claim, or that Glock plays games to mislead. I once saw on their site that the guns were US made.

Last edited:

mobiushky

The word "AUSTRIA" stamped on the side is not an indication of where it's actually made.

The safety has nothing to do with it at all. It's the collection of points assigned to handguns for "sporting use" by the ATF. Remember, the ATF in it's infinite wisdom "world without end" has decreed that firearms that are not of "sporting use" may not be imported into the US. How it reaches the level of sporting use is determined by the following. A gun must score 75 points based on the following list:

Length: for each 1/4" over 6" 1
Forged steel frame 15
Forged HTS alloy frame 20
Unloaded weight w/mag (per oz.) 1
.22 short and .25 auto 0
.22 LR and 7.65mm to .380 auto 3
9mm parabellum and over 10
Locked breech mechanism 5
Loaded chamber indicator 5
Grip safety 3
Magazine safety 5
Firing pin block or lock 10
External hammer 2
Double action 10
Drift adjustable target sight 5
Click adjustable target sight 10
Target grips 5
Target trigger 2

http://www.atf.gov/files/forms/download/atf-f-5330-5.pdf

So, take the Glock 26.

Length (6.29") 1
Weight (21.87oz) 22
Caliber (9mm) 10
Locked breech 5
Firing pin block 10
Double action 10
Target sight 10
Target grips 5
Target trigger 2
Total 75 - just enough to get in.

Figure that the 42 (or more accurately the 25 and the 28 previously) would not meet the level of 75 simply because the .380 only gets 3 points on the "caliber" instead of 10. Which means that the 25 and the 28 failed the "sporting" test in the eyes of the ATF, "May they live forever." (And yes, I'm treating it like the ATF is ridiculous because they are.)

Anyway, far as I can tell, there is no "safety" requirement in the list above.

As for the 42. I don't see it being a real game changer for pretty much anyone. I know people have been begging for a .380 Glock for what reason I don't know. I would have been more impressed if they'd done a single stack 9mm. But then, maybe that's the point. Maybe the 43 will be a 9mm version of the 42.

SouthernBoy

you might want to check your proof marks on the barrel. Most are being made in the USA now even tho the gun still says "AUSTRIA" on the side of the slide. Ive purchased and sold several glocks in the past year as well and thought they were all Austrian made till i looked at the proof marks.

To the OP, i believe it is because the G42 is entirely made in the USA. I saw the g42 at a gun show a few weekends ago. Very small and way overpriced. M&P shield in 9mm is a better buy IMO and im a glock fan boy usually.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll check my newer ones out.

I know about the points system and how that affects handguns imported into the U.S. (pointed out above). Not sure if this system was devised by the Bush #1 admin after Stockton or by the Clinton DOJ for the '94 ban.

mobiushky

Thanks for the heads up. I'll check my newer ones out.

I know about the points system and how that affects handguns imported into the U.S. (pointed out above). Not sure if this system was devised by the Bush #1 admin after Stockton or by the Clinton DOJ for the '94 ban.

According to the ATF website:

The ATF Form 4590, Factoring Criteria for Weapons, was implemented as a result of the Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA). Following the enactment of the GCA, the Treasury Department established an advisory council known as the Firearms Evaluation Panel to provide guidance in determining an import standard, and to identify which firearms met this standard for importation into the United States. The panel focused its attention on handguns and recommended the adoption of a factoring criteria to evaluate certain types of handguns. The resulting factoring criteria for handguns is a one-page worksheet utilized by ATF’s Firearms Technology Branch to calculate a numeric score that is used in determining whether a certain handgun may be legally imported into the United States.

According to Gilbert v. Higgins, 2010, the panel was adopted in 1968 and used at least until 1986. So, neither.

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Okay, after wiping the egg off of my face I am here to say that two of the three new Glocks I have were made in Austria and one was made here in the U.S. I shall return to my hole in the corner of the basement until further need arises.

WalkingWolf

Firing pin block or lock 10

This is what Glock calls a safety~~on 1911 the hammer and sear is blocked by the thumb safety, same for the Tok modified. And that probably gave the Tok enough points to be imported.

But we know that without the striker block Glocks would not meet the points to be imported. Remember it is up to ATF to decide what they will and will not accept.

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Gen 2, so I am fairly sure it was made in Austria.

How do you like it? Have you fired it yet? Any work done to it that you can see?

Good find. I imagine gen2 G22's are hard to find unless you settle for a retired LEO piece. I believe those are rather plentiful.

I bought a gen4 G22 last May and it is a fine and accurate shooter. I have made some of my usual mods to it and it is one solid and reliable gun.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

How do you like it? Have you fired it yet? Any work done to it that you can see?

Good find. I imagine gen2 G22's are hard to find unless you settle for a retired LEO piece. I believe those are rather plentiful.

I bought a gen4 G22 last May and it is a fine and accurate shooter. I have made some of my usual mods to it and it is one solid and reliable gun.

It is a police trade in. So far I have not fired it yet, I am going to let the wife do that tomorrow. I can not notice any work, one mag is new, the other almost new, I can only get 14 rounds in both of them. Mag springs are really really tight. It may have had trigger work, it has hair trigger. Much much lighter than a new Glock. For now I keep a karabiner clip behind the trigger to avoid any negligent discharges while it is out of the holster, the pull is that light. Hopefully there are no light strikes with it so light.

I am working on a duty style holster wild mild drop, and offset so a garment slides behind the body of the holster. That will probably take me several days.

As far as plentiful they seem to have dried up suddenly. I was going to order several more, and they are no longer there. The gen 3's are still out there though. Between the holster, and taking online Glock Snob classes I should be busy for the next several days.

SouthernBoy

It is a police trade in. So far I have not fired it yet, I am going to let the wife do that tomorrow. I can not notice any work, one mag is new, the other almost new, I can only get 14 rounds in both of them. Mag springs are really really tight. It may have had trigger work, it has hair trigger. Much much lighter than a new Glock. For now I keep a karabiner clip behind the trigger to avoid any negligent discharges while it is out of the holster, the pull is that light. Hopefully there are no light strikes with it so light.

I am working on a duty style holster wild mild drop, and offset so a garment slides behind the body of the holster. That will probably take me several days.

As far as plentiful they seem to have dried up suddenly. I was going to order several more, and they are no longer there. The gen 3's are still out there though. Between the holster, and taking online Glock Snob classes I should be busy for the next several days.

A trigger that light most likely has a lighter striker spring, perhaps a 4 pound unit, and a 3.5 connector. I doubt it would also have a 6 pound trigger spring because that wouldn't work well with a light striker spring. When you fire it, examine the primers in fired cased to see if the strikes are light. You should see what resembles a rectangle surrounding the oblong striker indent.

A gunsmith once worked my primary gen3 G23 down to around 3 to 3 1/2 pounds and I didn't like that. Too light for me for my carry gun. I want it between 4 1/2 to 5 pounds (obviously depends upon the gun and trigger design).