• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Alexandria Dinner, March 1st, 2014

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Not only did I survive venturing north of the Ni, I found parking almost right in front of the place. I stopped on my way home to buy a lottery ticket - maybe my luck will continue?

Great to meet people I know but had never before met.

But venturing north of the Ni again? Gonna need more incentive to do that again - folks up there drive funny among other things. :D

stay safe.

Gallowmere

Not only did I survive venturing north of the Ni, I found parking almost right in front of the place. I stopped on my way home to buy a lottery ticket - maybe my luck will continue?

Great to meet people I know but had never before met.

But venturing north of the Ni again? Gonna need more incentive to do that again - folks up there drive funny among other things. :D

stay safe.

I have been up that way many times. I am quite convinced that there is something about passing the Dale City exit on 95 North, that causes people to lose their minds while behind the wheel of a car. ;)

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
A very good start to a regular event

Many thanks to those who attended: Tess with her husband and son, JohnM15a and his wife Sue, Citizen, Tomrkba, and Skidmark, who came way north of the Ni to join us. We had a long table in the middle of the room and enjoyed great conversation and good food. There were several other restaurant customers that got somewhat google-eyed at seeing the array of firearms on hips and shoulder-holsters, but there were no comments or people running from the room in fright. Skid drew the most attention -- a little girl sitting at a booth close to his seat seemingly could not take her eyes off him. I am certain she was trying to understand why "Santa Clause" wasn't wearing his red suit.

It was a good gathering, and we are planning to do it again on a regular basis, about every 6-8 weeks or so. Watch for another announcement for a dinner sometime in May.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Got a text from another member asking me to let him know when we do these. Not everyone checks the board frequently (I know I'm not here anywhere near as often as I used to), and many, myself included, don't think to look in the separate events folder.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Got a text from another member asking me to let him know when we do these. Not everyone checks the board frequently (I know I'm not here anywhere near as often as I used to), and many, myself included, don't think to look in the separate events folder.

Good input. Tess. When we decide on the details of the next dinner, I'll put it in Virginia Events, and I'll put a notice in the Virginia Forum with a link to the thread in Events.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Good input. Tess. When we decide on the details of the next dinner, I'll put it in Virginia Events, and I'll put a notice in the Virginia Forum with a link to the thread in Events.

You could use a Mark Twain advertising technique. He wrote the copy for his own hand bills. For example,

FREE BEER!!!....

...will not be offered. But, you can have a great time and wonderful conversation with fellow OCers at the next OC dinner on Monday, February 31, at...

Of course, "free beer" is the thread title.

:D

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
You could use a Mark Twain advertising technique. He wrote the copy for his own hand bills. For example,

FREE BEER!!!....

...will not be offered. But, you can have a great time and wonderful conversation with fellow OCers at the next OC dinner on Monday, February 31, at...

Of course, "free beer" is the thread title.:D
FREE GUNS at our next OC dinner.

No entrance fee will be charged for guns carried in a safe and responsible manner. We do require that they be accompanied by a good and reasonable person of legal age.

Class and diner will commence at 7:00 pm.

Rusty Young Man

SNIP...There were several other restaurant customers that got somewhat google-eyed at seeing the array of firearms on hips and shoulder-holsters, but there were no comments or people running from the room in fright. Skid drew the most attention -- a little girl sitting at a booth close to his seat seemingly could not take her eyes off him. I am certain she was trying to understand why "Santa Clause" wasn't wearing his red suit...

I'll buy him a Santa-red jacket if it means I get to see Santa OC a "cowboy gun".:cool:
You better watch out, you better not cry,
you better watch out, I'm telling you why,
Santa Claus is coming to town.:lol:

FREE BEER!!!....

Of course, "free beer" is the thread title.

:D
FREE GUNS at our next OC dinner.

No entrance fee will be charged for guns carried in a safe and responsible manner. We do require that they be accompanied by a good and reasonable person of legal age.

Class and diner will commence at 7:00 pm.

I love the sense of humor here on OCDO. Can't believe I didn't join sooner, especially considering the amount of time I spent lurking beforehand.

IanB

Uhhhmmmmm... I think I resemble the dolt mentioned above by Tess.

I try to read the forum on a semi regular basis but I admit I breeze over the stickies and announcements. The SAME tired stuff sits up there FOREVER. Snowlection? Last post 2 months ago. VA Gun Trader? How long will that one live up above all other posts? If the site wants people to take the stickie area seriously, it needs to be managed better and not serve as a place for advertisements and outdated info.