Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Are there any open carry restrictions on reservations?

  1. #1
    Regular Member bebop4one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    142

    Are there any open carry restrictions on reservations?

    I want to visit the Tulalip reservation so I can hit up Cabella's, the outlets, and maybe even do a little gambling. Does anyone know casino restrictions if they are on the Rez? What about just being on the Rez but not visiting the casino? Are there different laws?
    "I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it."
    - Clint Eastwood

  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran slapmonkay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    1,267
    I have not had any issues up in tulalip. Tribal law only applies to tribal members. You can be trespassed from tribal land if they deem it warranted.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    I Am Not A Lawyer, verify all facts presented independently.

    It's called the "American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

    I carry a spare tire, in case I have a flat. I carry life insurance, in case I die. I carry a gun, in case I need it.

  3. #3
    Campaign Veteran slapmonkay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    1,267
    Here is a PDF of tribal firearm laws in the US. Again, they only apply to tribal members.

    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...c3YPjliiGOD0yQ

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    I Am Not A Lawyer, verify all facts presented independently.

    It's called the "American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

    I carry a spare tire, in case I have a flat. I carry life insurance, in case I die. I carry a gun, in case I need it.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Thanks to SCOTUS stealing more and more of the rights of the native american indians .. soon they'll have to have video cameras that transmit right into gov't offices.

  5. #5
    Regular Member 509rifas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Yakima County
    Posts
    253
    What they said, Indian law only applies to Indians.
    I've never had trouble at the Yakama Nation casino.
    LIVE FREE OR DIE TRYING

  6. #6
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    I have never had problems carrying on reservations, including going to the places you mentioned.

    It is about respect, don't be a d!ck!

    Side not many of our brown brothers and sisters in Indian Country feel just as strongly about the right to bear arms as we do.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  7. #7
    Regular Member bebop4one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    I have never had problems carrying on reservations, including going to the places you mentioned.

    It is about respect, don't be a d!ck!

    Side not many of our brown brothers and sisters in Indian Country feel just as strongly about the right to bear arms as we do.
    I got that same feeling when I went to the University of Washington last Saturday for a Pow Wow. There were a lot of different dancers representing a lot of different Indian nations. NRA hats everywhere!
    "I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it."
    - Clint Eastwood

  8. #8
    State Researcher Bill Starks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Nortonville, KY, USA
    Posts
    4,291
    I have a letter in with the Tribal Judge at the Tulalip reservation. I'll do a follow up on it.

    When I talked to Police Chief White at Neah Bay, I was asked to let him have a copy of my CPL and drivers license. This way if he got any calls he could tell them to rest easy.

  9. #9
    Regular Member bebop4one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Starks View Post
    I have a letter in with the Tribal Judge at the Tulalip reservation. I'll do a follow up on it.

    When I talked to Police Chief White at Neah Bay, I was asked to let him have a copy of my CPL and drivers license. This way if he got any calls he could tell them to rest easy.
    Thanks or the follow up, Bill. You know on another note, I recall seeing a sign at Cabela's in Tulalip asking that people not open carry at their store but that conceal carry was just fine. I'll have to research that before I can say for sure. I'll get back on here with an answer with a few.

    EDIT: I just found this link (http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...a-s-Gun-Policy) here on OCDO but it doesn't specify what the Tulalip store policy is.
    Last edited by bebop4one; 01-31-2014 at 05:41 PM.
    "I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it."
    - Clint Eastwood

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Moscow, ID
    Posts
    384
    Quote Originally Posted by bebop4one View Post
    Thanks or the follow up, Bill. You know on another note, I recall seeing a sign at Cabela's in Tulalip asking that people not open carry at their store but that conceal carry was just fine. I'll have to research that before I can say for sure. I'll get back on here with an answer with a few.

    EDIT: I just found this link (http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...a-s-Gun-Policy) here on OCDO but it doesn't specify what the Tulalip store policy is.
    I used to live in Lake Stevens and often frequented Cabelas. I haven't been there in probably 8 months, but I can say that when I was there last, open carry was fine, and not prohibited with any signage - I did it several times. Their sign applies to firearms that are going to be serviced or whatever.

  11. #11
    Regular Member bebop4one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by thewise1 View Post
    I used to live in Lake Stevens and often frequented Cabelas. I haven't been there in probably 8 months, but I can say that when I was there last, open carry was fine, and not prohibited with any signage - I did it several times. Their sign applies to firearms that are going to be serviced or whatever.
    That may be absolutely right. I didn't want to say for sure because I can't imagine them asking something like that. I do recall something about guns for repair or sale should be kept in a container or case. Thanks for the clarification.
    "I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it."
    - Clint Eastwood

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •