• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Municipal Employees

Flashlight

Since city halls, fire stations, police stations and such are not prohibited places under Maine law and cities cannot makes rules or ordinances making such places off limits, can municipalities legally forbid employees from carrying firearms while working?

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Probably so as workplace rules/terms of employment are generally legal.

I don't have the specific citation at hand though.

boyscout399

The pre-emption statute in Maine has no exception for public employees. Therefore it stands to reason that any rule by any political subdivision of the state pertaining to firearms would be void. The only public agency that can regulate firearms through this statute is Law Enforcement Agencies may regulate the type and use of firearms authorized for use by its employees.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The pre-emption statute in Maine has no exception for public employees. Therefore it stands to reason that any rule by any political subdivision of the state pertaining to firearms would be void. The only public agency that can regulate firearms through this statute is Law Enforcement Agencies may regulate the type and use of firearms authorized for use by its employees.
Maybe so, maybe not. Would seem that keeping a SD tool in a vehicle is fine, but genuinely question that the state and municipalities cannot put employment rules in place, including carrying or not while working.
http://www.shrm.org/legalissues/stateandlocalresources/pages/maineemployersfacenew.aspx

Has there been a test case yet of a public employee wrongfully terminated for carrying on the job?

boyscout399

Maybe so, maybe not. Would seem that keeping a SD tool in a vehicle is fine, but genuinely question that the state and municipalities cannot put employment rules in place, including carrying or not while working.
http://www.shrm.org/legalissues/stateandlocalresources/pages/maineemployersfacenew.aspx

Has there been a test case yet of a public employee wrongfully terminated for carrying on the job?

I can find no state statute that would override the pre-emption statute in this matter. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.