• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My first OC in AL was uneventful

independence

Was briefly in Red Bay, AL recently and open carried to Big Star grocery. Had at least one person look directly at the firearm but there were no issues. Not that I expected there to be, but I have never OC'd in AL before so I wasn't sure what the OC climate was like.

Sent from an app instead of a browser simply because browsers on mobile devices are incapable of basic usability by design so that people can sell apps.

Rick H

That's the norm.

Was briefly in Red Bay, AL recently and open carried to Big Star grocery. Had at least one person look directly at the firearm but there were no issues. Not that I expected there to be, but I have never OC'd in AL before so I wasn't sure what the OC climate was like.

Sent from an app instead of a browser simply because browsers on mobile devices are incapable of basic usability by design so that people can sell apps.

I've been here in Alabama since July 2013 and have only had one LEO say anything which was in Warrior Al.
I've only seen a couple sign's or been told to cover my firearm, and in the coverage situations I simply state that I'm
now refusing the order I'd placed and will no longer be acquiring there business from this point further and leave
whether I've started eating or not, nor pay for it.

Tony_B

I've been here in Alabama since July 2013 and have only had one LEO say anything which was in Warrior Al.
I've only seen a couple sign's or been told to cover my firearm, and in the coverage situations I simply state that I'm
now refusing the order I'd placed and will no longer be acquiring there business from this point further and leave
whether I've started eating or not, nor pay for it.
Dress nicely, wear your lawful and properly holstered firearm like you would a sock or belt and forget you have it unless necessary, DO NOT make it a point to advertise or show everyone how tough you are by open carrying, and you'll not have any problems. In other words comport yourself professionally, do what you went into the store or business to do and leave, if the store owner doesn't want you in the store then wipe the dust off your shoes and never enter that business again, but be sure to let us know who they are so we don't also patronize them and support their anti-firearm, anti-self protection policies.

In passing, sometimes I get so involved in shopping, examining merchandise or labels, that I sometimes lose site of my situational awareness. That's the opposite extreme of advertising one's open carrying and something I need to work on since I don't want to get caught in a bad situation by surprise and not paying proper attention to my surroundings.

Just conduct yourself like an above average intelligent man or woman, dress appropriately and you won't have any problems for the most part. You can't fix stupid though and there will be those people (mostly hyper-emotional women) who will call the popo or report you to a store manager as they are "uncomfortable" or "scared" or whatever reason they give in an attempt to deny you your Rights.

That's the time when an officer can educate the uninformed public on Alabama state laws on open carry and that open carriers are not committing any crime(s) by merely open carrying.

EDIT: IF YOU DO NO POSSESS A CCW DO NOT COVER YOUR FIREARM IF ASKED OR TOLD TO DO SO. I had an officer ask me to cover mine during the only time I've ever been asked about my open carry. I told that officer that it would be a problem for me since I don't have a CCW, that I would be breaking the law in concealing my firearm, and could not comply with his request. I was heading to the check out at that time and had been in the store some 45 minutes at that time so they had plenty of time to observe my behavior which was appropriate and not worthy of suspicion.

He most certainly understood the position I would be in if I did conceal it. Have written about this elsewhere and commended this officer (Saraland officer performing off duty security) for his professionalism in not hassling me for open carrying, and he and the head store cashier for not asking me to leave that particular store although I was on my way to check out at that particular time.

At that time I wasn't feeling well and had been diagnosed with thyroid issues. Looked like I was homeless (lol) as I had been in bed for a couple of days recovering and waiting for the Synthroid to take effect. Had gone to buy some soup and staple items so was caught at a bad time in appearance and my open carrying. Some idiotic customer made a MWAG complaint to the store manager which apparently led to that particular encounter that itself ended well.

Again I commend that Saraland police officer for his professionalism. We have apparently have some fine and well trained officers in the Mobile and surrounding areas and South Alabama in general. Excepting a few that I've addressed in other posts but those did not relate to open carry per se.

Last edited: