• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

would/should you use your oregon CHL as ID?

sobe911

welcome to the forum,,, 2 poster...

you could use some thicker skin,,, maybe check amazon or ebay for the best price on that.

I check handgunlaw,us to answer these type of queries.

see this http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/oregon.pdf

:banghead:
I don't bode well with being told I'm wrong, when I know I'm not.

As far as handgunlaw.us goes, it doesn't quite contain the information cited in my 2 posts. The sources of the information in my posts are government websites, except oregonlaws.org.

I simply joined this website to post a comment on my experience with using my CHL as ID when being carded, and I'm suddenly a big deal :dude:

I'm certainly not planning on posting further, given this seemingly childish community; it's pretty childish to go after post count. It's an irrelevant figure when discussing facts.

Last edited:

Sethrotull

OSP runs the background check. The county sheriff is who issues a CHL. Even with the OSP involvement this is not a state issued ID.

SteveM

We all know that everything we read on government websites and form 4473's is an accurate representation of law. :lol:

166.291 Issuance of concealed handgun license; application; fees; liability. (1) The sheriff of a county, upon a person’s application for an Oregon concealed handgun license, upon receipt of the appropriate fees and after compliance with the procedures set out in this section, shall issue the person a concealed handgun license if the person:

The Washington County CHL says right on it "Issued by Sheriff Pat Garrett" and is completely without any mention of the state of Oregon except as a geographical location of where the county is located.

We-the-People

A CHL is not valid ID for alcohol parchases in Oregon.

http://olccblog.blogspot.com/2008/08/can-i-see-your-id-please.html?m=1

A CHL is issued by a county sheriff and not state issued.

A CHL may not be one of the accepted forms of ID to purchase alcohol in Oregon but LEGALLY you can still use it. Here's what your provided link says at the bottom, and it would allow you to use a CHL to purchase alcohol.

"Current accepted forms of ID include a valid state driver license with a photo; a valid DMV ID card with photo, name, date of birth & physical description from any state; a valid passport or a valid U.S. military ID card.

If you don’t have your ID on you, the business may allow you to fill out a Statement of Age card. In order to do this, you must have at least two forms of identification on you. One with your name, address, date of birth, signature and physical description or photo. The second piece of ID must be able to verify the identity of the first piece. If it is still unclear if you are over 21 years of age, you will be refused service of alcoholic beverages."

No, the CHL is not state issued but it does have the required information. Toss in pretty much ANY other ID with your name on it and you're LEGAL.

That doesn't mean that the individual establishment will ACCEPT it but it is LEGAL.

Sethrotull

A CHL may not be one of the accepted forms of ID to purchase alcohol in Oregon but LEGALLY you can still use it. Here's what your provided link says at the bottom, and it would allow you to use a CHL to purchase alcohol.

"Current accepted forms of ID include a valid state driver license with a photo; a valid DMV ID card with photo, name, date of birth & physical description from any state; a valid passport or a valid U.S. military ID card.

If you don’t have your ID on you, the business may allow you to fill out a Statement of Age card. In order to do this, you must have at least two forms of identification on you. One with your name, address, date of birth, signature and physical description or photo. The second piece of ID must be able to verify the identity of the first piece. If it is still unclear if you are over 21 years of age, you will be refused service of alcoholic beverages."

No, the CHL is not state issued but it does have the required information. Toss in pretty much ANY other ID with your name on it and you're LEGAL.

That doesn't mean that the individual establishment will ACCEPT it but it is LEGAL.

Yeah I can garuntee you won't find an establishment that will fill out a Statement of age card.

Really just use your DL!

CitizenJohn

:banghead:
I don't bode well with being told I'm wrong, when I know I'm not.

As far as handgunlaw.us goes, it doesn't quite contain the information cited in my 2 posts. The sources of the information in my posts are government websites, except oregonlaws.org.

I simply joined this website to post a comment on my experience with using my CHL as ID when being carded, and I'm suddenly a big deal :dude:

I'm certainly not planning on posting further, given this seemingly childish community; it's pretty childish to go after post count. It's an irrelevant figure when discussing facts.

I thought that your post subject was a good one. Most of the replies seemed thoughtful. I too, recently used my CHL for ID and didn’t get so much as a blink.

You just have to ignore the childish posts. We should all practice to be respectful even if we disagree. Using sarcasm or demeaning remarks is not productive in furthering a discussion. I also agree that whether you have 1 post or several thousand, the point is the subject matter at hand, not the post count.

I do have to agree that it seems that the CHL issuance is a County municipality responsibility and not a State one.

I visited the OSP website you mentioned and it had an “Ask OSP” link, so I sent them a querry:

To: Ask OSP
Subject: CHL Responsible Agency

Hello: On the Oregon "Licenses, Permits and Registrations" website, the OSP is listed as the "responsible agency" for CHL I thought that the County Sheriffs were the "responsible agency" for CHL? Thanks

To which I received the following reply:

Thank you for your inquiry. That is an interesting question. You are correct - in Oregon, the county sheriff's office deals with concealed handgun licenses and questions regarding concealed handgun licenses. For the best answer to your questions, please contact your county sheriff's office or the Oregon State Sheriffs' Association at www.oregonsheriffs.org. Thank you.

Interesting no? Even the OSP is too lazy to supply an answer about their own website. They simply referred me to someone else.