Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What makes Giffords qualified to speak about gun control??

What makes Giffords qualified to speak about gun control??

Being shot does not make you an expert on gun control! I'm sorry, but I just do not understand what gives her the right to come and speak in our state about this.

http://q13fox.com/2014/01/28/gifford...#axzz2rvDARrvF

Thank you to everyone who was able to show up in Olypmia and show support for Washington gun owners.
    Last edited by bebop4one; 01-30-2014 at 07:12 PM.
    "I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it."
    - Clint Eastwood

Apparently Rep. Jenkins, the Judiciary chairwoman, invited her to come speak. I called up Jenkin's office to complain that an out of state resident was given over 10 minutes of testimony time while mere WA citizens were given a sparse 90 seconds, and many WA taxpayers who were PAYING FOR THE HEARING were not able to testify because of an out of state resident sucking up all that time.

I was cut off-mid sentence by her legislative aide, Lynda Foster, and told that she would not listen to me "insult" Gabby Giffords and she was going to hang up on me, then she disconnected me.

Apparently calling Gabby Giffords an out of state resident is an insult. And I being a mere WA taxpayer am not worth listening to.

If you have some time, call up Jenkin's office and let them know how you feel about it. It doesn't matter if she isn't your district's Rep., as committee chair of the Judiciary Committee she represents all of the state in that role.

(360) 786-7930
    Last edited by Alpine; 01-30-2014 at 06:56 PM.

Banned
    She evokes sympathy, an emotional reaction, The anti argument is built on emotion. She is an expert in the emotions felt by those who have been shot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Quote Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
    Apparently Rep. Jenkins, the Judiciary chairwoman, invited her to come speak. I called up Jenkin's office to complain that an out of state resident was given over 10 minutes of testimony time while mere WA citizens were given a sparse 90 seconds, and many WA taxpayers who were PAYING FOR THE HEARING were not able to testify because of an out of state resident sucking up all that time.

I was cut off-mid sentence by her legislative aide, Lynda Foster, and told that she would not listen to me "insult" Gabby Giffords and she was going to hang up on me, then she disconnected me.

Apparently calling Gabby Giffords an out of state resident is an insult. And I being a mere WA taxpayer am not worth listening to.

If you have some time, call up Jenkin's office and let them know how you feel about it. It doesn't matter if she isn't your district's Rep., as committee chair of the Judiciary Committee she represents all of the state in that role.

(360) 786-7930
    I'm going to call that number the moment I get off of work. This is an outrage.

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    She evokes sympathy, an emotional reaction, The anti argument is built on emotion. She is an expert in the emotions felt by those who have been shot.

<o>
    Then wouldn't she be better suited speaking to victims of violent crimes? I think she would be a great source of inspiration for people looking for emotional recovery. But coming to a state that she has nothing to do with and speaking about our gun laws? Take a hike lady!
    Last edited by bebop4one; 01-30-2014 at 07:19 PM.
    "I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it."
    - Clint Eastwood

(360) 786-7930
    I just called and stated that I was dismayed and displeased with the fact that Giffords, as a resident of Arizona, was even invited let alone allowed to testify at a "hearing" that only affected Washington state residents and registered voters. I stated that this was a great injustice to Washington state residents and registered voters.
    Armed and annoyingly well informed!

There are two constants when dealing with liberals:
    1) Liberals never quit until they are satisfied.
    2) Liberals are never satisfied.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    That was part of my message to all my reps. That I hoped they wouldn't be swayed by an out of state persona whose experience has nothing to do with the bill.

I guess If I get ran over by a car, that would make me an expert on drivers licensing?
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    That was part of my message to all my reps. That I hoped they wouldn't be swayed by an out of state persona whose experience has nothing to do with the bill.

I guess If I get ran over by a car, that would make me an expert on drivers licensing?
    Nah, would make you an expert in background checks being required before one can obtain a car even through a private sale or transfer even if it's a temporary one! :P Or it would make you an expert in assault cars and how they need to be banned to protect the children... won't somebody please think of the children!? /sarcasm
    Last edited by Grim_Night; 01-30-2014 at 07:56 PM.

Well many of us here in AZ are hoping she stays in WA!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    Curse you! Keep your trash to yourselves!

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Haha, thanks but no thanks!
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

(360) 786-7930
    Ok well I just called and spoke to Lynda Foster who informed me that the committee in charge invited Giffords and that Rep Jenkins had nothing to do with her being there. She was also pretty smug when she corrected me about Gifford's speaking time claiming that she did not speak for 10 minutes. Furthermore, she went on to say that I should contact the committee who approved Mrs. Giffords presence to testify. She said that it was an ethics violation to give me any information regarding that committee while at work. I don't believe a word she said.
    - Clint Eastwood

Technically it was her husband Mark Kelly speaking for her for 99% of it, she did some rambling at the end but you can check the video for the exact time they got.

She's qualified because they are naming a battle ship after her. Independence class Warship: USS Gabby Giffords
    http://bulletsfirst.net/2014/01/29/g...hip-named-huh/
    Last edited by golddigger14s; 02-01-2014 at 02:32 AM.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

regardless of qualifications, she didn't speak that long at all, mark kelly took the bulk of the time.

They did put Fagan and Mcintosh in at the end too, and that balances out the time a little.

While I don't think she should have been given so much time versus a WA resident, I have nothing personal against Giffords or Kelly, and the committee chairs are pretty much able to set their own rules..... this is one of those things to let lie. frankly, we all knew months in advance that the legislature would pass the buck on this, let the people vote. it puts them in a position of not having to vote for or against gun control and then being able to say "the people have spoken" on election night. why make tough decisions when you can make someone else, or more accurately, about 4 million elses decide for you....
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

No you don't.

Think about it. What galvanizes people who are pro 2A to get riled up and take sides? It's goofy spokespersons making untenable arguments, and being trotted out as sacrificial lambs.

We want over reacting people like Piers Morgan so that a lot of people who were sitting by get vocal for PRO-2A.

We want guys like Mr Obama to say 'let's do gun control', to a mild degree, because then people who THINK go get supplies. Unfortunately, Mr O went to far and people got alarmed and gun shops and manuf. and dealers and companies were high fiving and everyone on the freaking universe went out and bought 10 guns.

He is the best salesman for the firearms and gear industry, but he was too good. If he would just moderate a little maybe you and I could find mags and ammo.

Just got off the phone with a polite guy who is the assistant clerk of the Capitol. He told me that I can email him what occurred about being treated rudely and that there might actually be some recourse rather than just having a "flapper"-Gulliver's-Travels-type situation. As someone who used to work in a Senate office, the cardinal rule is that unless constituents are shouting, using profanity, insulting or making threats, you NEVER hang up on them.

If any of you were treated rudely by Lynda Foster and you were polite when you called, I urge you to email Tim Sekerak at tim.sekerak@leg.wa.gov and detail what happened.
    Last edited by Alpine; 01-31-2014 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grim_Night View Post
    Curse you! Keep your trash to yourselves!
    It was worth a try.

OT: This is what happens when Politicians, not Americans, are the ones making laws.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Just got off the phone with a polite guy who is the assistant clerk of the Capitol. He told me that I can email him what occurred about being treated rudely and that there might actually be some recourse rather than just having a "flapper"-Gulliver's-Travels-type situation. As someone who used to work in a Senate office, the cardinal rule is that unless constituents are shouting, using profanity, insulting or making threats, you NEVER hang up on them.

If any of you were treated rudely by Lynda Foster and you were polite when you called, I urge you to email Tim Sekerak at tim.sekerak@leg.wa.gov and detail what happened.
    Awesome follow up! Although Lyinda was smug with me, she kept calm and and let me speak. I wouldn't go so far as to say she was rude, but she definitely sounded happy to correct me on several issues. I hope she receives some kind of disciplinary action for the way she spoke to you.
    - Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post

<o>
    I resent that; I have been shot and don't have the first clue about emotions.....

(360) 786-7930
    Just got off the phone, I too was told that is was the decision of the committee in charge of the bill to invite Giffords and that Rep. Jenkins had nothing to do with it. She told me that Giffords actually only talked for like 90 seconds or so, I reminded her that, just because she's not the one speaking doesn't mean she's not the one being represented with the time. If my lawyer is the one speaking for me at trial, I'm still being represented by his words. Told her I felt it was inconsiderate to Washingtonians for someone from out of state and that would even be subject to such a law would be speaking in opinion of it, and it was a complete wait of the voters time and money.

She wasn't rude, but was definitely happy to argue with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Alsherry View Post
    Just got off the phone, I too was told that is was the decision of the committee in charge of the bill to invite Giffords and that Rep. Jenkins had nothing to do with it. She told me that Giffords actually only talked for like 90 seconds or so, I reminded her that, just because she's not the one speaking doesn't mean she's not the one being represented with the time. If my lawyer is the one speaking for me at trial, I'm still being represented by his words. Told her I felt it was inconsiderate to Washingtonians for someone from out of state and that would even be subject to such a law would be speaking in opinion of it, and it was a complete wait of the voters time and money.

She wasn't rude, but was definitely happy to argue with me.

She's probably sitting in her office thinking "Who are these people?"

I'm glad we could call and let her know we weren't happy with that decision. Maybe Rep. Jenkins will catch wind of it.
    Last edited by bebop4one; 01-31-2014 at 06:08 PM.
    - Clint Eastwood

I'm curious if anyone brought up the fact at the hearing that Gabby's shooter passed the background check. The law she's testifying for wouldn't have even remotely changed the outcome that supposedly makes her an expert.
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

Quote Originally Posted by tombrewster421 View Post
    I'm curious if anyone brought up the fact at the hearing that Gabby's shooter passed the background check. The law she's testifying for wouldn't have even remotely changed the outcome that supposedly makes her an expert.
    Yes, it was brought up, at least it was in the wednesday hearing.

Founder's Club Member

(360) 786-7930
    A bit off topic, but, why is anybody surprised by this?

If I hire a convicted fraudster as my accountant, do I have any right to be surprised if he takes off with the pension fund?

In that same vein, the so-called government rules people without their consent. That is to say, they expressly claim jurisdiction over every single equal person in their territory, and intend to make that person comply in spite of his refused consent.

You're dealing with a person who has demonstrated his total willingness to make other equals comply in spite of even their refused consent. Why on earth would anybody be surprised when they diss him or prove they don't really think of themselves as servants?
    Last edited by Citizen; 02-01-2014 at 12:32 AM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tombrewster421 View Post
    Proof that one should have to pass a background check !

Oh wait....crap...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast