• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What makes Giffords qualified to speak about gun control??

Alpine

Apparently Rep. Jenkins, the Judiciary chairwoman, invited her to come speak. I called up Jenkin's office to complain that an out of state resident was given over 10 minutes of testimony time while mere WA citizens were given a sparse 90 seconds, and many WA taxpayers who were PAYING FOR THE HEARING were not able to testify because of an out of state resident sucking up all that time.

I was cut off-mid sentence by her legislative aide, Lynda Foster, and told that she would not listen to me "insult" Gabby Giffords and she was going to hang up on me, then she disconnected me.

Apparently calling Gabby Giffords an out of state resident is an insult. And I being a mere WA taxpayer am not worth listening to.

If you have some time, call up Jenkin's office and let them know how you feel about it. It doesn't matter if she isn't your district's Rep., as committee chair of the Judiciary Committee she represents all of the state in that role.

(360) 786-7930

Last edited:

eye95

She evokes sympathy, an emotional reaction, The anti argument is built on emotion. She is an expert in the emotions felt by those who have been shot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

bebop4one

Apparently Rep. Jenkins, the Judiciary chairwoman, invited her to come speak. I called up Jenkin's office to complain that an out of state resident was given over 10 minutes of testimony time while mere WA citizens were given a sparse 90 seconds, and many WA taxpayers who were PAYING FOR THE HEARING were not able to testify because of an out of state resident sucking up all that time.

I was cut off-mid sentence by her legislative aide, Lynda Foster, and told that she would not listen to me "insult" Gabby Giffords and she was going to hang up on me, then she disconnected me.

Apparently calling Gabby Giffords an out of state resident is an insult. And I being a mere WA taxpayer am not worth listening to.

If you have some time, call up Jenkin's office and let them know how you feel about it. It doesn't matter if she isn't your district's Rep., as committee chair of the Judiciary Committee she represents all of the state in that role.

(360) 786-7930

I'm going to call that number the moment I get off of work. This is an outrage.

She evokes sympathy, an emotional reaction, The anti argument is built on emotion. She is an expert in the emotions felt by those who have been shot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Then wouldn't she be better suited speaking to victims of violent crimes? I think she would be a great source of inspiration for people looking for emotional recovery. But coming to a state that she has nothing to do with and speaking about our gun laws? Take a hike lady! :cuss:

Last edited:

Grim_Night

(360) 786-7930

I just called and stated that I was dismayed and displeased with the fact that Giffords, as a resident of Arizona, was even invited let alone allowed to testify at a "hearing" that only affected Washington state residents and registered voters. I stated that this was a great injustice to Washington state residents and registered voters.

sudden valley gunner

That was part of my message to all my reps. That I hoped they wouldn't be swayed by an out of state persona whose experience has nothing to do with the bill.

I guess If I get ran over by a car, that would make me an expert on drivers licensing?

Grim_Night

That was part of my message to all my reps. That I hoped they wouldn't be swayed by an out of state persona whose experience has nothing to do with the bill.

I guess If I get ran over by a car, that would make me an expert on drivers licensing?

Nah, would make you an expert in background checks being required before one can obtain a car even through a private sale or transfer even if it's a temporary one! :p Or it would make you an expert in assault cars and how they need to be banned to protect the children... won't somebody please think of the children!? /sarcasm

Last edited:

bebop4one

(360) 786-7930

Ok well I just called and spoke to Lynda Foster who informed me that the committee in charge invited Giffords and that Rep Jenkins had nothing to do with her being there. She was also pretty smug when she corrected me about Gifford's speaking time claiming that she did not speak for 10 minutes. Furthermore, she went on to say that I should contact the committee who approved Mrs. Giffords presence to testify. She said that it was an ethics violation to give me any information regarding that committee while at work. I don't believe a word she said.

Alpine

Technically it was her husband Mark Kelly speaking for her for 99% of it, she did some rambling at the end but you can check the video for the exact time they got.

EMNofSeattle

regardless of qualifications, she didn't speak that long at all, mark kelly took the bulk of the time.

They did put Fagan and Mcintosh in at the end too, and that balances out the time a little.

While I don't think she should have been given so much time versus a WA resident, I have nothing personal against Giffords or Kelly, and the committee chairs are pretty much able to set their own rules..... this is one of those things to let lie. frankly, we all knew months in advance that the legislature would pass the buck on this, let the people vote. it puts them in a position of not having to vote for or against gun control and then being able to say "the people have spoken" on election night. why make tough decisions when you can make someone else, or more accurately, about 4 million elses decide for you....

Maverick9

Well many of us here in AZ are hoping she stays in WA! :D

No you don't.

Think about it. What galvanizes people who are pro 2A to get riled up and take sides? It's goofy spokespersons making untenable arguments, and being trotted out as sacrificial lambs.

We want over reacting people like Piers Morgan so that a lot of people who were sitting by get vocal for PRO-2A.

We want guys like Mr Obama to say 'let's do gun control', to a mild degree, because then people who THINK go get supplies. Unfortunately, Mr O went to far and people got alarmed and gun shops and manuf. and dealers and companies were high fiving and everyone on the freaking universe went out and bought 10 guns.

He is the best salesman for the firearms and gear industry, but he was too good. If he would just moderate a little maybe you and I could find mags and ammo. :(

Alpine

Just got off the phone with a polite guy who is the assistant clerk of the Capitol. He told me that I can email him what occurred about being treated rudely and that there might actually be some recourse rather than just having a "flapper"-Gulliver's-Travels-type situation. As someone who used to work in a Senate office, the cardinal rule is that unless constituents are shouting, using profanity, insulting or making threats, you NEVER hang up on them.

If any of you were treated rudely by Lynda Foster and you were polite when you called, I urge you to email Tim Sekerak at tim.sekerak@leg.wa.gov and detail what happened.

Last edited:

bebop4one

Just got off the phone with a polite guy who is the assistant clerk of the Capitol. He told me that I can email him what occurred about being treated rudely and that there might actually be some recourse rather than just having a "flapper"-Gulliver's-Travels-type situation. As someone who used to work in a Senate office, the cardinal rule is that unless constituents are shouting, using profanity, insulting or making threats, you NEVER hang up on them.

If any of you were treated rudely by Lynda Foster and you were polite when you called, I urge you to email Tim Sekerak at tim.sekerak@leg.wa.gov and detail what happened.

Awesome follow up! Although Lyinda was smug with me, she kept calm and and let me speak. I wouldn't go so far as to say she was rude, but she definitely sounded happy to correct me on several issues. I hope she receives some kind of disciplinary action for the way she spoke to you.

Alsherry

(360) 786-7930

Just got off the phone, I too was told that is was the decision of the committee in charge of the bill to invite Giffords and that Rep. Jenkins had nothing to do with it. She told me that Giffords actually only talked for like 90 seconds or so, I reminded her that, just because she's not the one speaking doesn't mean she's not the one being represented with the time. If my lawyer is the one speaking for me at trial, I'm still being represented by his words. Told her I felt it was inconsiderate to Washingtonians for someone from out of state and that would even be subject to such a law would be speaking in opinion of it, and it was a complete wait of the voters time and money.

She wasn't rude, but was definitely happy to argue with me.