Thread: Gun Belt

Gun Belt

What type of gun belt do you guys use? I currently use a 5.11 casual belt that I really like. It's quite stiff and works fairly well for OWB carry, but it's beat to heck. I considered getting a Wilderness Tactical, but after seeing someones who said it doesn't hold up well over time I scrapped that. Also considered getting an Original S.O.E. 1.5" Rigid Cobra Duty Belt, but there appears to be problems with getting the large buckles to fit through belt loops. I'm thinking I'll get a reinforced leather belt much like I have now just figured I'd see what everyone else is using.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

I use waxed leather 2 inch belts for carry most of the time. On occasion I will wear a slide holster and use a waxed canvas belt 1 1/4 wide.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Raine Inc. Less than 30 bucks, made in the USA, and very good. I have been using it for years and it is still going very strong.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Desantis econo belt got it from midway for about $20
    Works great

It depends on the clothes I'm in really. I wear my old BDU's and ACU's a lot, so with them I have a 2" Phoenix web belt that holds my thigh rig. If I'm in jeans, just a typical leather belt is enough.

Belts

I like the Bullhide belts from http://www.thebeltman.net/

I have two Beltman gun belts, 1˝ inches wide with stiffener, sized to go over my heaviest winterwear. I may buy another one or two, my black one, that I use for daily wear, is getting tatty so I may get one for dress wear, properly sized, and then a brown one too.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

I have recently found I really like leather belts vs poly belts for guns. Comfort, and style are factors in favor of leather. This said, I needed a belt that could hold a lot of weight (at times I carry two 15+1 45acps). The solution. Aker Gun Belt = at 1/3 inch (.32 - .35 by my calipers) thick with a kevlar insert for strength. They are retailing for $50, however one can find them for around $37 at Galls with one of the 20% off promo's and if you stock up (like I did) you get free shipping on orders of $99 or more. I own three; been wearing one for about a year now and it shows little wear under heavy loads carried day in and out. The other two are on the shelf waiting to be called into service. If the first belt is a indicator, I suspect these three belts will get me a minimum of 10 years use between them. I call that money well spent. They are 100% USA (technically as they are made in CA) ... that's the only con I've found to date.

http://www.galls.com/aker-leather-dress-belt
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 01-31-2014 at 04:24 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

My gunbelt

I recently had BW leather in Idaho make me a new belt along with a pile of holsters.
    http://www.bwleather.com/content.php?page_id=1 She does great work and is very reasonable.

It is based upon the Dukes rig, made of soft sued leather folded over like a money belt, but sewn through. Cost much less that the El Paso or Triple K versions and I got exactly what I wanted.

I've attached a photo of my rig with a short .44 thumbuster and a tiny .22 shopkeeper on it along with the rest of the matching "half breed" holsters I had made with the belt, and a photo of the Dukes original rig for comparison.

Now I need to find some phony plastic ivory grips like the Dukes, and wear my hogleg for a few decades. Then they might match!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_2461.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	11218   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DukesGunRig_zpsabbd7637.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	11219  
    Last edited by EtdBob; 01-31-2014 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    I have recently found I really like leather belts vs poly belts for guns. Comfort, and style are factors in favor of leather. This said, I needed a belt that could hold a lot of weight (at times I carry two 15+1 45acps). The solution. Aker Gun Belt = at 1/3 inch (.32 - .35 by my calipers) thick with a kevlar insert for strength. They are retailing for $50, however one can find them for around $37 at Galls with one of the 20% off promo's and if you stock up (like I did) you get free shipping on orders of $99 or more. I own three; been wearing one for about a year now and it shows little wear under heavy loads carried day in and out. The other two are on the shelf waiting to be called into service. If the first belt is a indicator, I suspect these three belts will get me a minimum of 10 years use between them. I call that money well spent. They are 100% USA (technically as they are made in CA) ... that's the only con I've found to date.

http://www.galls.com/aker-leather-dress-belt
    That appears to be a lot like my current 5.11 belt and really a lot of what I've been looking for. I've considered the poly belts, but they seem to only hold strength for so long or are so thick that you can't put them on jeans or shorts. I did just order a 1.25" belt from Amerihide, but that will be for when I'm wearing a suit or dress clothes and need a belt a bit thinner for belt loops, but still support the weight of a gun.
    Last edited by xmanhockey7; 01-31-2014 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Can't spell
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Quote Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
    That appears to be a lot like my current 5.11 belt and really a lot of what I've been looking for. I've considered the poly belts, but they seem to only hold strength for so long or are so thick that you can't put them on jeans or shorts. I did just order a 1.25" belt from Amerihide, but that will be for when I'm wearing a suite or dress clothes and need a belt a bit thinner for belt loops, but still support the weight of a gun.
    I wear the aker daily with all types of pants (usually dockers).
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Been wearing a Triple K detective for about 4 months now. Really like it and was only $30.
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

Quote Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
    ...I considered getting a Wilderness Tactical, but after seeing someones who said it doesn't hold up well over time I scrapped that...

I've been wearing a Wilderness Tactical Frequent Flyer 5-stitch belt daily for more than 5 years and it's still in great shape. I couldn't be more pleased with its performance.

Rick Garcia belts. I have two, a brown and a black. He is "rayban" on MGO.

http://www.rgleather.freehomepage.com/
    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." – William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." – Samuel Adams
    Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Rick Garcia belts. I have two, a brown and a black. He is "rayban" on MGO.

http://www.rgleather.freehomepage.com/
    Nice looking stuff there.