• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCing in gang territory

independence

I have read some say that they prefer not to open carry (they CC instead) in an area that is known gang territory. What is your opinion on this? Also, what are some good telltale signs for knowing you are in gang territory? I mean, in some major cities you will find graffiti everywhere. Is that enough to make some of you not want to open carry in that area?

Yeah, yeah...I know...Don't go in those areas and you won't have to worry about it...Well, sometimes there are cases where you just have to....

Sent from an app instead of a browser simply because browsers on mobile devices are incapable of basic usability by design so that people can sell apps.

Last edited:

Primus

Large crews of guys on for corners or more often sitting on or in front of houses. Some rock colors (black and white, blue, white, etc). If there is a group of people all with the same of some characteristic (clothing color, race, culture, gender, etc) then it might be a crew.

Not all "gangs" are really gangs. We have a lot of smaller crews running around that may or may not have ties to actual large national gangs, kings, crops, bloods, folk nation, ms 13, etc. Etc.

The small crews are actually more likely to rob you or start problems. The larger more organized guys are more worried about pushing drugs and making money to deal with petty crime. So if your in their radar they will just kill you and call it a day. Although they do have young guys trying to move up.
.if it doesn't look right, feel right, smell right.... its not right.

Finally, they aren't bashful people. Especially when they are with their crew. If they are staring you down or even talking at/to you then its prob a crew.

Ultimately they are usually cowards. If you appear a hard target then they'll move to easier prey. Its why we have literally the same exact characteristics for 90% (give or take) of our victims of robberies. Let's just say the victims are NOT 18-26 year old sober in shape males. If they are in that category it was targeted not just a routine robbery.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

independence

Large crews of guys on for corners or more often sitting on or in front of houses. Some rock colors (black and white, blue, white, etc). If there is a group of people all with the same of some characteristic (clothing color, race, culture, gender, etc) then it might be a crew.

Not all "gangs" are really gangs. We have a lot of smaller crews running around that may or may not have ties to actual large national gangs, kings, crops, bloods, folk nation, ms 13, etc. Etc.

The small crews are actually more likely to rob you or start problems. The larger more organized guys are more worried about pushing drugs and making money to deal with petty crime. So if your in their radar they will just kill you and call it a day. Although they do have young guys trying to move up.
.if it doesn't look right, feel right, smell right.... its not right.

Finally, they aren't bashful people. Especially when they are with their crew. If they are staring you down or even talking at/to you then its prob a crew.

Ultimately they are usually cowards. If you appear a hard target then they'll move to easier prey. Its why we have literally the same exact characteristics for 90% (give or take) of our victims of robberies. Let's just say the victims are NOT 18-26 year old sober in shape males. If they are in that category it was targeted not just a routine robbery.

Good stuff. Thanks.

So would you agree that it would be a bad idea to OC if you had to be in an area where there are small crew type situations? You said to be a hard target. The general consensus on this forum is that OC is a hard target. Is there an exception for gang areas? Just curious for opinions here...

Sent from an app instead of a browser simply because browsers on mobile devices are incapable of basic usability by design so that people can sell apps.

Primus

Good stuff. Thanks.

So would you agree that it would be a bad idea to OC if you had to be in an area where there are small crew type situations? You said to be a hard target. The general consensus on this forum is that OC is a hard target. Is there an exception for gang areas? Just curious for opinions here...

Honestly don't know. If I'm ocing its to or from certain places and I know the places to avoid off duty. If i do there im concealed. So I honestly have no experience other then being in uniform in the s*** areas. There has to be some guys on here with experience actually living and being in crap areas and how/when they OC.

I say hard target because I've seen the cops get chewed up by the crew and then the cops they don't mess with. So I'm assuming it carries right over to citizens.

I would say more then just your gun will make the difference. Having a gun doesn't make you a hard target (plenty of weak cops). YOU make you a hard target. Your body language the way you carry yourself. Eye contact or how much you acknowledge them or if you cross the street or the pace you walk all indicate prey it hard target.

If you start swiveling all around and damn near running (fear) your going to get hemmed up just for sport. On the other end if you strut up to their corner and stare them down.... bad idea. And having a gun on your hip wouldn't change either of those because they usually have guns to. Only difference is they have the fastest kid carry the gun till they need it.

sudden valley gunner

Respect. Don't make yourself a target. Nod, wave, acknowledge you are in "their territory" and keep to your business.

Most "gangs" don't kill people randomly it's bad for business.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Nightmare
I got a 2300 (hours for sodjer wannabes) call from the administrator of our Do Not Shop list, to verify that the Meeting Street Piggly Wiggly had un-posted.

The words are English but I have no idea what you said.

He received a phone call at 11:00 pm from the person that maintains the "unfriendly" list confirming that a certain store had removed their No Guns sign.

The code for tomorrow is 23N.

b0neZ

The words are English but I have no idea what you said.

Translation: got an 11 p.m. call from the administrator of a list of places not to shop (due to having "No firearms" signs) to confirm that the Piggly Wiggly (grocery chain) on Meeting Street had indeed removed their "No guns" signage.

Last edited:

Freedom1Man

I say, OC where ever you, legally, can.

Remember when you OC you're not looking to start a fight, you're only interested in stopping one when it is brought to you.

I understand that there is much more to this, please don't flame me, but that is the general rule. There are other 'rules' that have been discussed on this Forum site but I don't want to drag all of those out.

DrakeZ07

Couple years back I had found myself on the wrong side of Louisville one night, after dropping off a BF date I had. I had gotten lost and stopped at an IGA, that happened to be open at the time, it was around 10pm, to ask for directions. I was carrying a trusty ruger .40, openly, and kept my hand on the snap lock the entire time that I was outside of my vehicle, and in the store, to ask directions. When I hadn't gotten sufficient directions, I went back to my truck, and kept my hand about six inches from the loaded Saiga I kept in the rear window gun rack, the entire three hours I was lost, until I found a random street sign that guided me back to an interstate.

Yes, you should always Open Carry in 'gang' areas, or when in the 'wrong' side of a town/city. You may be harassed by police if spotted in such undesirable areas, but I'd rather be harassed for legally OCing in such areas, by cops, than to be bleeding out on the street after being harassed by some gang-bangers.

Usually, and in my experience, for some reason the southern side of large towns/cities are always the 'bad side' of such towns/cities. As is the case in Lexington, especially getting towards Nicholasville; South side of Cincinnati is a place I wouldn't go without a S.A.W. and a few belts of ammo!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
The police OC when they go into those areas - although they may be more likely to go in small groups. OCing, along with wearing the uniform and riding around in cars that may have funny paint jobs, advertises that they are not a soft target.

Is it necessary to get out and walk about? Or are you sightseeing? If you have business, attend to it but remember to check what's going on around you and be willing to trust yur gut feelings about things going from OK to not-OK. If you are sightseeing you need to ask yourself why you continue to remain in the area after identifying it as probably Indian Country.

It all comes down to the second part of what we mean when we say we OC for self protection. Are you wearing it as a magic talisman or carying it as a tool that you are fully prepared to use without hesitation?

stay safe.

stealthyeliminator

So, the general consensus seems to be that a lot more than just OCing goes into "self-preservation," and that may be especially true in areas that are gang-ridden. So far I haven't seen any reasoning for why it might be 'worse' than usual to openly carry as opposed to not carry or concealed carry. I think it was a very good question, the OP.

sudden valley gunner

So, the general consensus seems to be that a lot more than just OCing goes into "self-preservation," and that may be especially true in areas that are gang-ridden. So far I haven't seen any reasoning for why it might be 'worse' than usual to openly carry as opposed to not carry or concealed carry. I think it was a very good question, the OP.

In my experience it is no worse and may be better for you, but each should know their own surroundings and neighborhoods. Some sheltered types just don't know how to not be a target.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Many decades ago I ended up in a bad part of Chicago at 230am. There all kinds of undesirable looking persons on the street corners by every stop light.

I took the advice of an LEO that worked the bad parts of that area he said let them see you gun. My Hi power was out in the open,

He told me that they would drive around the worse parts with handgun in hand held up in plain view.

I didn't have any trouble and the trip was made just fine after that I was a lot more careful where I ended up.

Lyndsy Simon

A gun isn't even the primary issue in a situation like that - it's about motivations and power.

If you are scared and act scared, you're prey. If you run from a mountain lion it's going to chase you. Don't be prey.

If you're aggressive, you're a threat. Gangs exist for common defense and to hold territory - if you're a threat, you'll likely be dealt with. Don't be a threat.

I would likely make eye contact and give them the "man nod" to acknowledge that I was aware of their presence, then go about my business. My business, by the way, would be to find my way to a safer neighborhood.

sudden valley gunner

A gun isn't even the primary issue in a situation like that - it's about motivations and power.

If you are scared and act scared, you're prey. If you run from a mountain lion it's going to chase you. Don't be prey.

If you're aggressive, you're a threat. Gangs exist for common defense and to hold territory - if you're a threat, you'll likely be dealt with. Don't be a threat.

I would likely make eye contact and give them the "man nod" to acknowledge that I was aware of their presence, then go about my business. My business, by the way, would be to find my way to a safer neighborhood.

+1000 I have been telling people that for years even on this forum. There are some who think not meeting eye contact and staring straight ahead will protect them.

stealthyeliminator

+1000 I have been telling people that for years even on this forum. There are some who think not meeting eye contact and staring straight ahead will protect them.

Eyes can tell a lot. A simple half second look can easily say "I see you there, and you better stay there." Not that you'd want to literally be that confrontational, but you get the idea.

Facial expressions and looks can break language barriers as well.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Eyes can tell a lot. A simple half second look can easily say "I see you there, and you better stay there." Not that you'd want to literally be that confrontational, but you get the idea.

Add body language to that mix of communication skills.

Tackleberry1

Personally... I save OC specifically for bad neighborhoods.

My profession demands CC but when a job takes me to gangland the cover garment comes off. I firmly believe in the deterent value of being openly armed. I'm not interested in being surprised and forced to fight by thugs who mistake me as a soft target.

I'd rather let them know up front that any aggression WILL lead to a gunfight.

Criminals in my experience are inherently cowards and not interested in catching a bullet.

Tack

Rusty Young Man

I know what you mean. Might be more of an "I see you, I don't fear you, I don't want to hurt you, but I won't hesitate to do so if you try to hurt me."
Walk with purpose, walk with confidence, and use that "nod" to acknowledge their existence.