• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

BAN the term "Assault" weapon.

Fuller Malarkey

Safe. Semi. Burst.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

From the NRA:

ASSAULT RIFLE

By U.S. Army definition, a selective-fire rifle chambered for a cartridge of intermediate power.

Skippy, you go on down and straighten out the scofflaws at the NRA. Once you get them squared away on terminology, I'll get right on board too. :lol::lol::lol:

October 1988. Stephen C. Hensley, Acting Assistant Director of the Cal. DOJ's Investigation and Enforcement Branch, determines that assault rifles cannot be defined workably on the basis of style (size, caliber, rifle/pistol type, or magazine capacity) but only on the basis of action-type (semiautomatic)¾a functional characteristic. He warns that "this [action-type] approach would cover hundreds of different types of firearms of which in total many tens of millions of units have been produced,"[30] and he calls the good gun/bad gun distinction one based on "faulty logic."

http://saf.org/LawReviews/KobayashiAndOlson.htm

ETA: Oh, Skippy, you got your work cut out for you...

Seems the Second Amendment Foundation [SAF.org] is not on board with your notions about "assault rifles":

"By military definition, assault rifles are "selective firearms (full auto-continuous, or burst fire plus auto-loading) of sub-caliber." However, these guns are already heavily regulated, restricted, heavily taxed, and require special licenses. Thus, the cry for restrictions on "assault weapons" has already been answered. However, it has not silenced the gun-control crowd, who continue to attempt to expand the definition of assault rifle."

http://saf.org/default.asp?p=gunrights_faq#21

Last edited:

Fuller Malarkey

"In its ubiquity, the AR-15 is a modern musket—the default rifle with which law-abiding Americans exercise their right to keep and bear arms."

"The AR-15 is particularly favored for its modularity, accuracy, light weight, and low recoil—attributes that make it ideal not only for shooting sports but also armed self-defense."

........modularity, accuracy, light weight, and low recoil. Words that comprehensively describe an AR15 rifle. "Assault rifle" does not serve as a descriptor like "modularity, accuracy, light weight, and low recoil" does it?

http://www.assaultweapon.info/

Use your "right" arrow on your keyboard to see the show. Someone be charitable enough to relay to Primus what you viewed. I think Massachusetts has a ban on anything "right", so his keyboard probably doesn't have a "right" arrow. :lol:

FlyBoy276

"Discover the 2014 Camaro ZL1 high-performance sports car - the highest-performing production Camaro of all time."

http://www.chevrolet.com/camaro-zl1-sports-car.html

Now show me where Colt sells an "assault rifle".

"Colt rifle customers want the genuine article. They know that the story of today’s Colt commercial and sporting rifles began with the Stoner AR-15® design that Colt transformed into a military-grade rifle -- the Colt M16 automatic rifle."

Kinda looks like they changed a Sporting Rifle into a military grade firearm. At least by their own admission. So it might be more accurate to state that the military is using a modified Sporting Rifle.

No, an SKS is a semi-auto only rifle. An assault rifle, by military definition, is select-fire. And an SKS is not select-fire. Therefore it is not an "assault rifle." It is still an effective weapon, but it isn't an assault rifle. A military M60 is also not an assault rifle because it doesn't have the semi-automatic mode and it does not shoot an intermediate cartridge.

Calling a semi-auto only rifle an assault rifle is more like someone took the fiberglass body off of a NASCAR race car and put it on the chassis/engine of a Ford Pinto with a governor built in restricting it to 65 mph. It may look like a race car, but it is not a race car.

You could still race in it on the streets, but that still does not make it NASCAR just because it aesthetically appears to be NASCAR. The exterior body of a NASCAR is not the only defining characteristic of a NASCAR.

+1, and +1.

According to a certain person's logic, a well-intentioned police recruit COULD be turned into a power hungry, charge falsifying, evidence planting monster, therefore, all police officers are power hungry, charge falsifying, evidence planting monsters. Right? I could put sportbike fairings on a bicycle. It doesn't turn a Schwinn into a YZF-R1.

AR made their weapons platform before the US military decided to change their issued rifle. It makes me think of this whole 'drone' issue. I fly RC aircraft, and legislators want to ban certain aspects of my hobby because the military took the same concept, and added weapons to it. My $200 piece of flying foam is now an evil, privacy invading, death machine. :lol:

conandan

+1, and +1.

According to a certain person's logic, a well-intentioned police recruit COULD be turned into a power hungry, charge falsifying, evidence planting monster, therefore, all police officers are power hungry, charge falsifying, evidence planting monsters. Right? I could put sportbike fairings on a bicycle. It doesn't turn a Schwinn into a YZF-R1.

AR made their weapons platform before the US military decided to change their issued rifle. It makes me think of this whole 'drone' issue. I fly RC aircraft, and legislators want to ban certain aspects of my hobby because the military took the same concept, and added weapons to it. My $200 piece of flying foam is now an evil, privacy invading, death machine. :lol:

My little RC helicopter has a camera on it. Guess I better watch out homeland doesn't like competition. Lol

Kopis

I did see an article where the media referred to police ARs as "patrol" rifles. I was not amused.

Primus

I am certified in Personal Protection in the Home, and the "W" word was verboten in the class.

Think it depends the counselor. In HFS and bp we were told no w word. But my ppih and ppoh instructor classes they were a but more laxed because now your talking about guys using weapons against you or your firearm against them. Obviously NRA doesn't like the word but that seems more propaganda then reality.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Think it depends the counselor. In HFS and bp we were told no w word. But my ppih and ppoh instructor classes they were a but more laxed because now your talking about guys using weapons against you or your firearm against them. Obviously NRA doesn't like the word but that seems more propaganda then reality.

The only thing I quibble with in your post is the use of the word "propaganda." Words carry connotations and there is no doubt in my mind that "weapon" carries a negative connotation, which is why the NRA tells its instructors not to use that word. We are all about normalizing and desensitizing the general population in how they regard firearms, and not calling it a weapon is one small aspect of that process.

The students in the instructor classes I have taken who had the most problem by using the "w" word all had a recent or current military or LEO background, where the "w" word is the word they are taught to use. Those students helped to fill the "W Penalty Jar" and pay for lunch...

Primus

The only thing I quibble with in your post is the use of the word "propaganda." Words carry connotations and there is no doubt in my mind that "weapon" carries a negative connotation, which is why the NRA tells its instructors not to use that word. We are all about normalizing and desensitizing the general population in how they regard firearms, and not calling it a weapon is one small aspect of that process.

The students in the instructor classes I have taken who had the most problem by using the "w" word all had a recent or current military or LEO background, where the "w" word is the word they are taught to use. Those students helped to fill the "W Penalty Jar" and pay for lunch...

Lol you nailed it.... I bought more then one day of lunch.

I agree with the concept of words gave meaning. But like I said... the agenda is to normalize and desensitize. Its a good one and I agree and work to do the very same thing in my classes. But I do it understanding its still an agenda even though I agree with it.

There is GOOD propaganda as well as bad stuff.

OC for ME

A firearm is a weapon. Assault weapon is a word used in everyday conversation as a descriptor of a type of firearm, or weapon. Let the liberals and anti-liberty crowd use the word as they see fit. Those who value liberty pay no attention to such trivial distractions.

Anyone who requires payment (a fine) for its proper use in conversation is a idiot. I would actively work to discredit that business venture.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
A firearm is a weapon. Assault weapon is a word used in everyday conversation as a descriptor of a type of firearm, or weapon. Let the liberals and anti-liberty crowd use the word as they see fit. Those who value liberty pay no attention to such trivial distractions.

Anyone who requires payment (a fine) for its proper use in conversation is a idiot. I would actively work to discredit that business venture.

Good luck with that.

When you join an organization you tacitly agree to abide by its rules. In the case of this particular organization's cadre of instructors, the "w" word is not to be used. It is part of the program to normalize and desensitize people within the general population as to how firearms are regarded, and we try to avoid words for which the general public has a negative connotation. The tactic of modifying behavior to match an organization's norms has been used in training sessions across the spectrum of professions.

In being trained on effective presentations, we were often fined a buck for every time we interjected an "uh" or an "um" while we were presenting.

When the TI didn't like how we performed a certain task, how often did we hear, "Drop down and give me twenty?"

Don't like the rules? Don't join the organization. Unfortunately, I have known quite a few people who joined an organization for the benefits but who rebelled against that organization's training methods -- methods which had been honed and perfected over many years and which produced many successful graduates. Those who sought to disrupt or 'discredit' the process did not last long in that organization.

OC for ME

<snip>

Don't like the rules? Don't join the organization. Unfortunately, I have known quite a few people who joined an organization for the benefits but who rebelled against that organization's training methods -- methods which had been honed and perfected over many years and which produced many successful graduates. Those who sought to disrupt or 'discredit' the process did not last long in that organization.
Is the fine advertised prior to enrollment?

Primus

Is the fine advertised prior to enrollment?

It wasn't for our class. We even got to wear a W necklace until the next person said the word.

We actually had a few guys get pretty mad about it so the instructor stopped. Its just a common practice.

The money was actually donated to a local boy scout troop.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...The money was actually donated to a local boy scout troop...

The Boy Scouts? An organization that prohibits its adults from carrying firearms while camping in the woods?

Sorry, we are so far off topic anyway, I couldn't help the interjection to note the irony.

Primus

The Boy Scouts? An organization that prohibits its adults from carrying firearms while camping in the woods?

Sorry, we are so far off topic anyway, I couldn't help the interjection to note the irony.

Agreed it may be ironic but it was still to a good cause. The kids in the troop got money for a trip or whatever they needed. I wasn't the instructor so I didn't have a say where it went just glad it went to kids.

papa bear

I would have to agree with the OP. those of you who uses the "assault" term to describe a firearm is playing right into the antis play

i would also like to use the term gun infringement instead of gun control. gun control is hitting what you aim at

sudden valley gunner

Guns were invented to be weapons I have no interest in being politically correct and watering down what they are. I proudly carry my weapon openly and legally.

Fuller Malarkey

Are snowballs "assault weapons"? They are made for no other reason than to assault something.

‘Snowball Five’ false-arrest lawsuit: NYPD officer admits she didn’t write down ‘snowball’ in weapons charge.

“No,” Officer Paola Diaz answered when asked if the word “snowball” appeared anywhere in the report charging the five with criminal possession of a weapon

Ramirez claims he pulled his loaded gun on the gang in February 2010 after they bombarded him with snowballs. The charges against the five were later dropped.

“I was outnumbered and I wasn’t taking any chances,” Ramirez testified Wednesday on the stand.

But a day earlier, Ramirez conceded the supposed assault was not as fearsome as he first described and that he was hit with just “one” snowball.

It appears police viewing snowballs as "assault weapons isn't an "isolated incident":

"An off-duty Washington D.C. police detective went berserk and began waving his gun around when his Hummer was pelted with snowballs during this weekend's storm.

"Yes I did (pull my gun), because I got hit with snowballs!" the cop said in a video of the confrontation posted to YouTube by a witness.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...-gun-hummer-pelted-snowballs-article-1.436220

Witnesses said the detective's big red Hummer was hit about 3 p.m. at the major intersection of 14th and U Streets, where a mass snowball fight organized over Twitter and Facebook was raging.

He left the vehicle and was hit with more snowballs as he approached the crowd of about 200, who had a banner proclaiming "No War But Snowball War."

Video posted online by a TV station shows the plainclothed detective advancing on the crowd as they chant, "You don't bring a gun to a snowball fight! You don't bring a gun to a snowball fight!"

At one point, he pulls aside his coat and pats his holster, taunting, "Throw another snowball!"

"This police officer threatened a bunch of people on the street in broad daylight with a firearm because his Hummer was hit by snowballs," blogged witness Sarah Massey, who says she is filing a complaint.

"This is not the kind of person I want serving me and my community. He threatened and scared people and acted in a dangerous manner."

Assault snowballs. Word.