• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Louisa County Renewal information

Toad

Founder's Club Member
The Louisa County permit renewal process is almost correct.

Because traveling around the Country almost requires the acquisition of a permit I just had to pay my 5 year 2A Re-authorization Tax.
I choose to renew in person as opposed to mailing it partly because I am close to the Clerks office and partly because I cannot stand the USPS.

The clerks office is directly inside the court entry way just past the metal detectors that aren't really used. I didn't feel like emptying my pockets so I walked right trough. The deputy stopped me and all I said was renewal and he just stepped aside without requesting anything more of me; sure wish airport security operated the same way.

Since my form was already notarized, all they asked to see was the current permit and did not request any additional identification.
The charge was the full allowable rate of $50.00...I have a problem with this on many levels!
1. Charging to exercise a Right is criminal and unconstitutional, period.
It is ...keep and bear arms... there is no stipulation on the method of bearing. OC is no more a Right than CC; it's just one is more infringed than the other. So put that in your P4P pipe and stick it somewhere!
2. Why are they charging the same price that used to include prints if they can no longer collect prints?
I understand the 'Law' allows them to require up to a $50.00 bribe but if they are not doing everything they used to do why are they still allowed to charge the full rate.

I was given the option of either picking it up of having it mailed and this is where the they fail. In order to have it mailed, they say you must pay for the stamp taking the the maximum allowable extortion fee above $50.00. If you do not pay for the stamp you must pick it up in person. Sure it is "only a stamp" but it is the principle of it and questioning them or bringing up the law will not change their policy.

Their stated processing time is 30 to 40 days.

Last edited:

Blk97F150

I was given the option of either picking it up of having it mailed and this is where the they fail. In order to have it mailed, they say you must pay for the stamp taking the the maximum allowable extortion fee above $50.00. If you do not pay for the stamp you must pick it up in person. Sure it is "only a stamp" but it is the principle of it and questioning them or bringing up the law will not change their policy.

Perhaps not. But a writ of mandamus might.... :uhoh:

I'd probably send them a certified letter requesting that they mail the permit to me. I would not include a SASE, or funds to cover a stamp. Then wait....

But I'm like that. :cool:

Last edited:

TFred

§ 18.2-308.04. Processing of the application and issuance of a concealed handgun permit states:

C. The court shall issue the permit via United States mail and notify the State Police of the issuance of the permit within 45 days of receipt of the completed application unless it is determined that the applicant is disqualified. Any order denying issuance of the permit shall be in accordance with § 18.2-308.08.​

This section does not differentiate between new or renewal applications.

TFred

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
§ 18.2-308.04. Processing of the application and issuance of a concealed handgun permit states:

C. The court shall issue the permit via United States mail and notify the State Police of the issuance of the permit within 45 days of receipt of the completed application unless it is determined that the applicant is disqualified. Any order denying issuance of the permit shall be in accordance with § 18.2-308.08.​

This section does not differentiate between new or renewal applications.

TFred

and it doesn't allow the clerk's office to let you pick it up in person.....it must be mailed.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
So is everybody suggesting that Toad send an email to the Clerk of the Circuit Court of Louisa County, with a link to the appreopriate section of The Code of Virginia of 1950, as amended, along with a cut&paste of the actual language and the appropriate section highlighted?

Remember that emails come with their own time/date stamps, and that communications with the Clerk of the Court are public records - just in case there was a question later on.

stay safe.