• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bad fuel pump???????

self preservation

Calling all mechanics...I have a question. My 94 Ranger has been idling rough when first started, then runs fine after warming up. The other day it failed to start at all. I have changed the fuel filter a few times in the past when it failed to start and it would start fine afterwards, but even after a filter change this go round it still won't start. I believed that my fuel pump was bad so I changed it as well. Still nothing. I pulled the fuel line off of the filter on the tank side and turned the key over to see if my new fuel pump was indeed pumping fuel. It pumped a very tiny amount of fuel onto the ground then stopped. Should my new fuel pump constantly pump fuel through the disconnected fuel line? I've been told that the pump will only pump until it reaches a certain pressure, but with the line unhooked it has no pressure to build up to. Any ideas what is wrong? By the way, it's a 94 Ranger, 4.0.

Batousaii

The Ranger Station - Great website for those trucks.

I had a mid 90's ranger for a couple years, it was an ok truck. Traded on an 82 Toyota 4x4, much better (for me at least).

For rangers, one of the best sites out there http://www.therangerstation.com/
Lots of tech tips, articles, fixes, mods etc.

Hope it helps.

Bat

Logan 5

IIRC isn't there a solonoid that feeds power to the fuel pump, in the Ranger? My Bronco 2 had one.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
IIRC isn't there a solonoid that feeds power to the fuel pump, in the Ranger? My Bronco 2 had one.
Think that a solenoids/relays are mandated safety feature on vehicles equipped with an electric fuel pump.

Logan 5

My B2 was an '88 and it had an in tank pump. A '94 Ranger likely does as well.
I hate in tank pumps. major PIA to fix.