Thread: First time ever OCing in the city and a question about proximity

First time ever OCing in the city and a question about proximity

So I OC'ed for the first time in the city today. It was uneventful - remarkably uneventful. I had imagined being ridiculed and poked fun at in my fairly liberal city, however I received no treatment of the sort. I went to CVS to go buy a few things (batteries, gum, chapstick, chocolate) and I think a few people noticed. When I was in line for checkout there was a gentleman that got closer than I would like. In fact, armed or not armed I would have been uncomfortable with how close he was. I kept inching forward and he kept doing the same. I kept my weak side towards him (I wear a strong side OWB holster), but then I started crowding the people in front of me undoubtedly making them equally uncomfortable, AND then I had my strong side and firearm almost within reach of them. I ended up just stepping out of line and pretending like I forgot to grab something and rejoinng the line after he had left. He looked like a regular college kid (about like me) and didn't really set off any internal alarms other than the fact he kept getting really close.

What would my fellow (and undoubtedly more experienced) OC'ers have done differently? I didn't really want to make the situation tense by telling him to take a step back, regardless of my intention I feel like it may have been received the wrong way. Should I just have told him he was making me uncomfortable?
    Last edited by Dav; 02-01-2014 at 07:39 PM.

Some may have done differently, but I feel you handled it well. I would have done the same thing.

You walked softly, as Theodore Roosevelt put it.
    I carry everywhere because crime doesn't make appointments.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvertongue View Post
    Some may have done differently, but I feel you handled it well. I would have done the same thing.

You walked softly, as Theodore Roosevelt put it.
    Thanks bud. After lurking here for 4 months (I just recently started posting) I thought I was doing what the wise men of OCDO would do. Carrying in the city is definitely a lot more involved than strapping a .45 to your hip and stomping around in the montana back country. That's for sure.

All said and done I'd say it was a positive experience.

DW

IMHO You did fine. Didn't confront, smooth exit plan, kept everything casual.

Welcome to OCDO and to Open Carry!

Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    Thanks bud. After lurking here for 4 months (I just recently started posting) I thought I was doing what the wise men of OCDO would do. Carrying in the city is definitely a lot more involved than strapping a .45 to your hip and stomping around in the montana back country. That's for sure.

All said and done I'd say it was a positive experience.

DW
    Curious: Does anybody actually use straps?
    I carry everywhere because crime doesn't make appointments.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvertongue View Post
    Curious: Does anybody actually use straps?
    I've never seen it, most of the other people I've seen OC were landowners who typically toted a rifle.

SNIP...What would my fellow (and undoubtedly more experienced) OC'ers have done differently? I didn't really want to make the situation tense by telling him to take a step back, regardless of my intention I feel like it may have been received the wrong way. Should I just have told him he was making me uncomfortable?
    I would have (and do) buy my batteries, gum, and chocolate in bulk.

Welcome to OCDO, and greetings from sunny, dry Arizona Dav! It sounds like you handled yourself very well, and had the situational awareness to perceive possible dangers ahead. Besides, the responsibility that comes with carrying a firearm dictates that we need to be more mature and cool-headed than those we encounter. You seem to have been both.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

What City/State

So I OC'ed for the first time in the city today. It was uneventful - remarkably uneventful. I had imagined being ridiculed and poked fun at in my fairly liberal city, however I received no treatment of the sort. I went to CVS to go buy a few things (batteries, gum, chapstick, chocolate) and I think a few people noticed. When I was in line for checkout there was a gentleman that got closer than I would like. In fact, armed or not armed I would have been uncomfortable with how close he was. I kept inching forward and he kept doing the same. I kept my weak side towards him (I wear a strong side OWB holster), but then I started crowding the people in front of me undoubtedly making them equally uncomfortable, AND then I had my strong side and firearm almost within reach of them. I ended up just stepping out of line and pretending like I forgot to grab something and rejoinng the line after he had left. He looked like a regular college kid (about like me) and didn't really set off any internal alarms other than the fact he kept getting really close.

What would my fellow (and undoubtedly more experienced) OC'ers have done differently? I didn't really want to make the situation tense by telling him to take a step back, regardless of my intention I feel like it may have been received the wrong way. Should I just have told him he was making me uncomfortable?
    Dav,
    What City/State are we talking about? Am I overlooking something on this site?

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar

Don't invade my space

Quote Originally Posted by fjpro2a View Post
    Dav,
    What City/State are we talking about? Am I overlooking something on this site?
    Lincoln, NE

Overlooking what?

Phrased poorly

Lincoln, NE

Overlooking what?
    Dav,
    What I meant to say was - Am I overlooking something on this site that would have let me know the city/State? As the title says - PHRASED POORLY
    As to your original thread, you handled it very well. Kudos.

I guess I'm different. I would have politely asked him to give me room.
    I have done this in the past. Carrying or not, I want my space.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Originally Posted by fjpro2a

Dav,
    What City/State are we talking about? --snip--
    Lincoln, NE
    --snip--
    Being more precise as to your location in your Profile eliminates such problems. You might consider editing that.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

are you using a retention holster, or one that makes it easy for someone to just reach and grab your gun? a retention holster will at least raise your nervous threshold.

a lot has to do with sizing up the people around you, just like you are already doing.

Quote Originally Posted by hafnhaf View Post
    are you using a retention holster, or one that makes it easy for someone to just reach and grab your gun? a retention holster will at least raise your nervous threshold.

a lot has to do with sizing up the people around you, just like you are already doing.
    I've got a leather thumb strap, that's about it.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    I might have taken a few steps backward to force him to do the same and then moved forward again to see if that opened up some space between myself and the fellow behind me. If not, I think your action would have been fine. You did well. And welcome aboard.
    Last edited by SouthernBoy; 02-04-2014 at 06:22 AM.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

I OC in Lincoln too! Hope to run into you some time. I think you reacted well. When I feel someone is getting too close, I also rest my arm on top of my holstered gun and try to move away or turn. I sometimes make eye contact and smile. I don't see anything wrong in asking for a little space if you do it casually and politely. Depends on the person, I suppose.

Just a small point; in some areas of the country, you will encounter folks from other countries whose comfort zone is much closer than is typical for us Americans. I encountered this in Europe, the Middle East, North Africa, and Asia when I was in those areas. I've also encountered it in this country with both foreign-born folks and with different regional cultures.

OP, you handled it very well. I can't think of how you might have done better. You gracefully removed yourself from a situation you found uncomfortable.

I do not like anyone to get within arm's reach of me when I am carrying and out in public. I have had to ask several of my lovely bride's countrymen to give me a little more room.
    "Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."