• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Accidental Child Firearms Deaths

eye95

Actually, the chart DOES show a correlation. A very LARGE correlation. Just a negative correlation.

Again, the does not mean causation in any particular direction--or causation at all, for that matter. However, if there is a causal relationship between availability of firearms and accidental child firearm deaths, then increasing the supply of firearms reduces those deaths.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Shows the lack of correlation between [highlight]more[/highlight] guns equating to [highlight]more[/highlight] deaths.

However, more guns ≠ more deaths.

More guns equating (=) to less deaths would be a direct correlation.

WalkingWolf

There are so many ways that children die accidentally, or through negligence that firearms is really down at the bottom of the scale.

The safest place for a firearm in the home is in the holster on the person. I don't know if there are any statistics on discharge of firearms while parents sleep but I do not remember hearing any.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Must be a result of all those gun storage laws...see how one can look at he chart and come to conclusions.

The CDC has reports regarding accidental deaths by guns .. most of children are kids who horseplay around with them.

Isolated incidents...nothing to get all hot and bothered about.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Must be a result of all those gun storage laws...see how one can look at he chart and come to conclusions.

The CDC has reports regarding accidental deaths by guns .. most of children are kids who horseplay around with them.

Isolated incidents...nothing to get all hot and bothered about.

I won't make light of anyone's death. I'm sure that the friends and family would not either.

If you have something to say, spell it out. Don't offer up a tidbit that might even be tongue-in-cheek.

eye95

Shows the lack of correlation between [highlight]more[/highlight] guns equating to [highlight]more[/highlight] deaths.

However, more guns ≠ more deaths.

More guns equating (=) to less deaths would be a direct correlation.

Correlation has nothing to do with "equating." Correlation simply means that one variable seems to "depend" on another. A correlation of zero means that the variables seem to act independently. A correlation of one means that the two variables move in the same direction at a perfect constant relative rate. A correlation of negative one means that the two variables move in opposite directions at a perfect constant relative rate.

Correlations between zero and one (or between zero and negative one) represent a spectrum running between a near nonexistent relationship to a near-perfect relationship.

That is just what the word "correlation" means. If you are going to use it, you might want to either use it correctly, or accept correction when you don't.

There is a very strong correlation between those two variables. That correlation is just negative, meaning that the variables move in opposite directions.

Mathematical reality from a former math teacher.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I won't make light of anyone's death. I'm sure that the friends and family would not either.

If you have something to say, spell it out. Don't offer up a tidbit that might even be tongue-in-cheek.

We have guns in this country; I think our founding fathers knew that deaths like children in horseplay would occur.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Correlation has nothing to do with "equating." Correlation simply means that one variable seems to "depend" on another. A correlation of zero means that the variables seem to act independently. A correlation of one means that the two variables move in the same direction at a perfect constant relative rate. A correlation of negative one means that the two variables move in opposite directions at a perfect constant relative rate.

Correlations between zero and one (or between zero and negative one) represent a spectrum running between a near nonexistent relationship to a near-perfect relationship.

That is just what the word "correlation" means. If you are going to use it, you might want to either use it correctly, or accept correction when you don't.

There is a very strong correlation between those two variables. That correlation is just negative, meaning that the variables move in opposite directions.

Mathematical reality from a former math teacher.

The first (primary) definition is not mathematical.

cor·re·la·tion (kôr′ə-lā′shən, kŏr′-)n.1. A causal, complementary, parallel, or reciprocal relationship, especially a structural, functional, or qualitative correspondence between two comparable entities: a correlation between drug abuse and crime.

2. Statistics The simultaneous change in value of two numerically valued random variables: the positive correlation between cigarette smoking and the incidence of lung cancer; the negative correlation between age and normal vision.

3. An act of correlating or the condition of being correlated.

See also the synonyms:
correlation noun analogy, chain, collation, connection, corollary, correspondence, counterpart, equivalence, functionality, interchange, interconnection, likeness, mutual, mutuality, parity, quid pro quo, reciprocation, reciprocity, relation, relativity, resemblance, similarity, similitude, transmutation

Notice that none of them are specific to mathematics - that was not and is not relevant to the issue.

Last edited: