• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Residency

Steve Larson

Hey everyone.. So.. I'm Canadian and I live in Alberta, but I come down to Nevada at least twice a year. Id come down more if it didn't cost so much. If I bought an apartment or a house in Nevada, would I be considered a "resident" for the purposes of a CCW? What kind of ID requirements would there be? If I got a Nevada drivers license, I'd have to give up my Alberta one, and I can't do that.
I know that there is nowhere in the NRS about residency/citizenship requirements, but the Sheriffs seem to not care, and have turned me down for CCW based on residency. Even with CCW I'd OC wherever I could.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
I'm not the biggest expert in this part of the law, but some things that might be useful:

After you have been a resident for 60 days, a recognized non-resident permit no longer works, and the holder of such a permit needs a NV issued permit:
NRS 202.3688  Circumstances in which holder of permit issued by another state may carry concealed firearm in this State; holder of permit issued by another state subject to same restrictions and requirements as holder of permit issued in this State.
1.  Except as otherwise provided in subsection 2, a person who possesses a permit to carry a concealed firearm that was issued by a state included in the list prepared pursuant to NRS 202.3689 may carry a concealed firearm in this State in accordance with the requirements set forth in NRS 202.3653 to 202.369, inclusive.
2.  A person who possesses a permit to carry a concealed firearm that was issued by a state included in the list prepared pursuant to NRS 202.3689 may not carry a concealed firearm in this State if the person:
(a) Becomes a resident of this State; and
(b) Has not been issued a permit from the sheriff of the county in which he or she resides within 60 days after becoming a resident of this State.
3.  A person who carries a concealed firearm pursuant to this section is subject to the same legal restrictions and requirements imposed upon a person who has been issued a permit by a sheriff in this State.
(Added to NRS by 2007, 3150

And according to the DMV for the purposes of getting a drivers license: http://www.dmvnv.com/newresident.htm

Nevada Revised Statutes 482.103 and 483.141 "Resident" defined.
"Resident" includes, but is not limited to, a person:
Whose legal residence is in the State of Nevada.
Who engages in intrastate business and operates in such a business any motor vehicle, trailer or semi trailer, or any person maintaining such vehicles in this state, as the home state of such vehicles.
Who physically resides in this state and engages in a trade, profession, occupation or accepts gainful employment in this state.
Who declares himself to be a resident of this state to obtain privileges not ordinarily extended to nonresidents of this state.
The term does not include a person who is an actual tourist, an out-of-state student, a foreign exchange student, a border state employee or a seasonal resident.

But this may not be the same as for getting a CCW, I'll have to look into it in more detail.

Last edited:

Steve Larson

Who declares himself to be a resident of this state to obtain privileges not ordinarily extended to nonresidents of this state.
The term does not include a person who is an actual tourist, an out-of-state student, a foreign exchange student, a border state employee or a seasonal resident.

Hmm, the first line here seems to be perfect for my circumstances... , but then the second line has that "seasonal resident" part... I wouldn't necessarily be "seasonal", but I would be sporadic... I would own property full time, but only be occupying it myself a week at a time every couple of months. I would rent it out to friends who need a place to stay while in Vegas/Front Sight when I wasn't using it.

Although, like you say, this is for the DMV... I don't plan on getting a license to drive... just a CCW. Some other kind of state ID would probably work... up here we have Government issued Provincial IDs for those who need ID, but don't have the ability to drive.

JoeSparky

Centurion

Hmm, the first line here seems to be perfect for my circumstances... , but then the second line has that "seasonal resident" part... I wouldn't necessarily be "seasonal", but I would be sporadic... I would own property full time, but only be occupying it myself a week at a time every couple of months. I would rent it out to friends who need a place to stay while in Vegas/Front Sight when I wasn't using it.

Although, like you say, this is for the DMV... I don't plan on getting a license to drive... just a CCW. Some other kind of state ID would probably work... up here we have Government issued Provincial IDs for those who need ID, but don't have the ability to drive.

Would you be declaring your intent to IMMIGRATE from Canada to the US and become a permanent resident alien? This would strengthen your claim to residency more just regularly visiting for months at a time on a TOURIST VISA. All said assuming you are a Canadian citizen and resident.

jdholmes

Just an FYI for you Steve from a fellow Canadian. You don't have to give up your Canadian license to get a Nevada.

The USA has no jurisdiction over another countries licensing so they can't revoke it anymore than they can revoke my Canadian citizenship when I complete my US citizenship process.

When you apply here you will have to retest with both the written and driving portions of the test, that's all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdholmes

Or you can do as I have done and just get a state ID and continue to use a valid Canadian drivers license for driving.

As far as proving residency I think you may have an issue with that. If I recall correctly they would not give me the state ID until I had documentation from USCIS showing that I was in the process of legally immigrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve Larson

ID

a seasonal residence ID? What would be the purpose? But hey, if it helped me out... interesting.

What would be better is if the Sheriffs just followed the rules instead of making their own up... reminds me of our Provincial Chief Firearms Officers up here... making regulations at their whim and discretion.