Thread: OC in Winston-Salem??

OC in Winston-Salem??

Hey all,

Regular OCer from Ohio here... I make an annual trip to North Carolina to visit my Mother and always go armed. Mom moved to Winston-Salem a year ago and had mentioned that there are funny gun laws in that city. So far I haven't been able to turn up any results saying there are, so I figured I would come here and ask a few questions.

Are there any regulations against OC in Winston-Salem? Anyone have OC experience there?

Read State V Kerner, open carry is a right that is statewide protected. There is only limited restrictions that a local or county government can apply.

http://www.guncite.com/court/state/107se222.html

Without a permit from a accepted state you cannot OC in a business that sells alcohol for consumption on premises. You are also restricted from any venue where there is a paid admission without a permit. Other than that it is mostly follow federal laws.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 02-03-2014 at 08:21 PM.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Read State V Kerner, open carry is a right that is statewide protected. There is only limited restrictions that a local or county government can apply.

http://www.guncite.com/court/state/107se222.html

Without a permit from a accepted state you cannot OC in a business that sells alcohol for consumption on premises. You are also restricted from any venue where there is a paid admission without a permit. Other than that it is mostly follow federal laws.
    Glad to see that state law pre-empts most local law! THank you very much for the link and for the info!!

to the gentleman from the buckeye state some reading material for you...section III is good start and III D gets exciting...

http://www.ncsheriffs.org/documents/...rms%20Laws.pdf

safe drive and watch the weather....

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Winston-Salem/ Forsyth county is definitely a anti defense, anti American place. there are a few ristricted places there like libraries, and believe it or not cemeteries. Winston very definitely defies state laws by banning firearms in parks

my blood pressure jumps 20 points when ever i am there. but i do go there regularly. for the most part the citizenry are pro gun
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

papa bear you know the cemeteries and the parks restrictions are probably a lack of someone 'cleaning' up W-S ordinances...especially since 14-29 was put in place in 2006!

city planners/manager might not even know they are in the ordinances as it has only been less than six months since our GA changed our statutes.

sounds like a good project for GRNC since they passed the Oct Legislature in the first place.

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    to the gentleman from the buckeye state some reading material for you...section III is good start and III D gets exciting...

http://www.ncsheriffs.org/documents/...rms%20Laws.pdf

safe drive and watch the weather....

ipse
    THANK YOU!!!!!!! And thank you all for your advice / opinions. Anything else I should look out for? I'll be browsing your forum to see if I can pick up any info myself as well..

Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    papa bear you know the cemeteries and the parks restrictions are probably a lack of someone 'cleaning' up W-S ordinances...especially since 14-29 was put in place in 2006!

city planners/manager might not even know they are in the ordinances as it has only been less than six months since our GA changed our statutes.

sounds like a good project for GRNC since they passed the Oct Legislature in the first place.

ipse
    not so sure about that. you do know they declared Salem lake to be an athletic field so they could ban guns there. that is one of the things that the GRNC is supposed to be suing over.

i did ask the GRNC to about the restrictions in W-S and i got a big "EH"

but like i said, i think for the most part the citizenry is OK with OC
    Last edited by papa bear; 02-05-2014 at 07:13 PM.
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

just like to mention. there will be a meet and greet in the triangle area. happens every first Friday

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...h-month-at-6pm

- unknown

Thank you very much, the Fiance and I will come check it out when we are in the area!