• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Winston-Salem??

MountainDEWDjv

Hey all,

Regular OCer from Ohio here... I make an annual trip to North Carolina to visit my Mother and always go armed. Mom moved to Winston-Salem a year ago and had mentioned that there are funny gun laws in that city. So far I haven't been able to turn up any results saying there are, so I figured I would come here and ask a few questions.

Are there any regulations against OC in Winston-Salem? Anyone have OC experience there?

WalkingWolf

Read State V Kerner, open carry is a right that is statewide protected. There is only limited restrictions that a local or county government can apply.

http://www.guncite.com/court/state/107se222.html

Without a permit from a accepted state you cannot OC in a business that sells alcohol for consumption on premises. You are also restricted from any venue where there is a paid admission without a permit. Other than that it is mostly follow federal laws.

Last edited:

MountainDEWDjv

Read State V Kerner, open carry is a right that is statewide protected. There is only limited restrictions that a local or county government can apply.

http://www.guncite.com/court/state/107se222.html

Without a permit from a accepted state you cannot OC in a business that sells alcohol for consumption on premises. You are also restricted from any venue where there is a paid admission without a permit. Other than that it is mostly follow federal laws.

Glad to see that state law pre-empts most local law! THank you very much for the link and for the info!!

papa bear

Winston-Salem/ Forsyth county is definitely a anti defense, anti American place. there are a few ristricted places there like libraries, and believe it or not cemeteries. Winston very definitely defies state laws by banning firearms in parks

my blood pressure jumps 20 points when ever i am there. but i do go there regularly. for the most part the citizenry are pro gun

solus

papa bear you know the cemeteries and the parks restrictions are probably a lack of someone 'cleaning' up W-S ordinances...especially since 14-29 was put in place in 2006!

city planners/manager might not even know they are in the ordinances as it has only been less than six months since our GA changed our statutes.

sounds like a good project for GRNC since they passed the Oct Legislature in the first place.

ipse

MountainDEWDjv

papa bear

papa bear you know the cemeteries and the parks restrictions are probably a lack of someone 'cleaning' up W-S ordinances...especially since 14-29 was put in place in 2006!

city planners/manager might not even know they are in the ordinances as it has only been less than six months since our GA changed our statutes.

sounds like a good project for GRNC since they passed the Oct Legislature in the first place.

ipse

not so sure about that. you do know they declared Salem lake to be an athletic field so they could ban guns there. that is one of the things that the GRNC is supposed to be suing over.

i did ask the GRNC to about the restrictions in W-S and i got a big "EH"

but like i said, i think for the most part the citizenry is OK with OC

Last edited: