Thread: OC in Gettysburg / Adams County

OC in Gettysburg / Adams County

How are the LEO's as far as handling OCers in the Adams County area? Particularly Ghettysburg?? My fiance and I love to tour the battlefield and go on ghost hunts, also love all the local restraunts.. We drive over from North East Ohio once a year to walk around Ghettysburg and have fun. I've refrained from carrying there because I didn't know how the laws were in PA until I joined this site BUT I figured that before I went ahead and OCed there I would come ask about any experiences first... any advice / tips??
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 02-04-2014 at 03:49 AM. Reason: Fixed title

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    No license/permit is required to OC except in a vehicle and excepting in city Philadelphia.
    http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=292

Gettysburg National Military Park is NPS administered property. As such carry is in accordance with state law, excepting no guns are permitted in facilities (buildings) where park employees normally work - signs required. You'll be fine walking the battlefields.
    http://www.nps.gov/gett/parkmgmt/lawsandpolicies.htm
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    No license/permit is required to OC except in a vehicle and excepting in city Philadelphia.
    http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=292

Gettysburg National Military Park is NPS administered property. As such carry is in accordance with state law, excepting no guns are permitted in facilities (buildings) where park employees normally work - signs required. You'll be fine walking the battlefields.
    http://www.nps.gov/gett/parkmgmt/lawsandpolicies.htm
    Thank you very much!

Do you know of any local eateries that are OC friendly? Also, does PA have the whole 'NO GUN' signs that Ohio does? Like can a privately owned store/restaurant ban guns in their establishment??

Quote Originally Posted by MountainDEWDjv View Post
    Thank you very much!

Do you know of any local eateries that are OC friendly? Also, does PA have the whole 'NO GUN' signs that Ohio does? Like can a privately owned store/restaurant ban guns in their establishment??
    A majority of restaurants in PA are at the least OC neutral, if not friendly.

Not sure what you mean by "the whole No Guns signs, but yes, a privately owned store/restaurant can ban guns - they are private property and they get to make the rules.

If you see a sign or are asked to leave, just take your money elsewhere.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 02-05-2014 at 09:45 PM. Reason: fixed it
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

thank you very much Hopefully Lee's buffet will be okay, I LOVE THEIR FOOD! Best Asian buffet!!

As far as the 'no gun signs' Here in Ohio if there is a CPZ (criminal protection zone aka gun free zone) it has to be clearly marked with what we call a 'Gun Buster' sign... looks a lot like the ghostbusters logo but with a gun and not a ghost... LOL

Campaign Veteran
    Good info, as always, Grapeshot! There is a restaurant that we used to go to for OC get togethers, but I can't recall the name of it. They were SUPER gun friendly and loved having us visit. I'll try to find it and post.

Found it:

Gettysburg Family Restaurant

1275 York Rd.

Gettysburg, Pa. 17325

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...-in-Gettysburg
    Last edited by SP101; 02-06-2014 at 08:45 PM. Reason: found restaurant

Quote Originally Posted by SP101 View Post
    Good info, as always, Grapeshot! There is a restaurant that we used to go to for OC get togethers, but I can't recall the name of it. They were SUPER gun friendly and loved having us visit. I'll try to find it and post.

Found it:

Gettysburg Family Restaurant

1275 York Rd.

Gettysburg, Pa. 17325

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...-in-Gettysburg
    ^This! A bunch of us went there after spending an open carry day at the battlefields. Otherwise I'm afraid my travels don't take me to those areas all that often so I can't say what your experience might be. I have not had a problem in over 5 years of OC throughout other areas of PA, and I would hope this would be the same.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    While many claim to support the right to keep and bear arms, precious few support the practice.

We're currently under a declared state of emergency (again) because of the weather; during SOE's, you'll need a license/permit to carry, period. It doesn't matter if it's concealed, open, in Philly, outside of Philly, in a car, in a bus, in a box, with a fox...you'll need "permission" to carry.
    Givin' up the tactical advantage since 2008.

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    We're currently under a declared state of emergency (again) because of the weather; during SOE's, you'll need a license/permit to carry, period. It doesn't matter if it's concealed, open, in Philly, outside of Philly, in a car, in a bus, in a box, with a fox...you'll need "permission" to carry.

^Good point, I'm always forgetting that SoE.

While many claim to support the right to keep and bear arms, precious few support the practice.

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    ^Good point, I'm always forgetting that SoE.

But of course!

There is no reason for LAC to defend themselves in an emergency. (sarcasm)

"NO GUN" signs in PA

Quote Originally Posted by MountainDEWDjv View Post
    Thank you very much!

No gun signs do not carry the force of the law in PA. a buisness can ask you to leave and you must comply. However a sign can not prohibit you from carrying inside any buisness were it is legal if you have a LTCF or CC license recognized by PA.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Henderson View Post
    No gun signs do not carry the force of the law in PA. a buisness can ask you to leave and you must comply. However a sign can not prohibit you from carrying inside any buisness were it is legal if you have a LTCF or CC license recognized by PA.
    No cigar - businesses that are private property most assuredly can and do have such legal authority. Since PA is for all practical intents an OC state w/o a permit, the question of a permit/license is not germane.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Henderson View Post
    Welcome to OCDO. Always good to see a new face.

Please provide the citation that supports your statement - or a citation to the appropriate section of the law where the statute ought to be found but is conspicuously missing. (Basically a list of places listed in the law where carry is prohibited, permit or no permit.)

And even if signs do not have "the force of law" regarding gun carry itself, I'm pretty sure that if an owner/manager asked you to leave and you did not you could face trespass charges. We here at OCDO generally favor taking the moral high road and leaving when asked to. Even if that means getting up from a half-eaten meal and only leaving a tip for your server.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit