• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Gettysburg / Adams County

MountainDEWDjv

How are the LEO's as far as handling OCers in the Adams County area? Particularly Ghettysburg?? My fiance and I love to tour the battlefield and go on ghost hunts, also love all the local restraunts.. We drive over from North East Ohio once a year to walk around Ghettysburg and have fun. I've refrained from carrying there because I didn't know how the laws were in PA until I joined this site BUT I figured that before I went ahead and OCed there I would come ask about any experiences first... any advice / tips??

Last edited by a moderator:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
No license/permit is required to OC except in a vehicle and excepting in city Philadelphia.
http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=292

Gettysburg National Military Park is NPS administered property. As such carry is in accordance with state law, excepting no guns are permitted in facilities (buildings) where park employees normally work - signs required. You'll be fine walking the battlefields.
http://www.nps.gov/gett/parkmgmt/lawsandpolicies.htm

MountainDEWDjv

No license/permit is required to OC except in a vehicle and excepting in city Philadelphia.
http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=292

Gettysburg National Military Park is NPS administered property. As such carry is in accordance with state law, excepting no guns are permitted in facilities (buildings) where park employees normally work - signs required. You'll be fine walking the battlefields.
http://www.nps.gov/gett/parkmgmt/lawsandpolicies.htm

Thank you very much!

Do you know of any local eateries that are OC friendly? Also, does PA have the whole 'NO GUN' signs that Ohio does? Like can a privately owned store/restaurant ban guns in their establishment??

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Thank you very much!

Do you know of any local eateries that are OC friendly? Also, does PA have the whole 'NO GUN' signs that Ohio does? Like can a privately owned store/restaurant ban guns in their establishment??
A majority of restaurants in PA are at the least OC neutral, if not friendly.

Not sure what you mean by "the whole No Guns signs, but yes, a privately owned store/restaurant can ban guns - they are private property and they get to make the rules.

If you see a sign or are asked to leave, just take your money elsewhere.

Last edited:

MountainDEWDjv

thank you very much :) Hopefully Lee's buffet will be okay, I LOVE THEIR FOOD! Best Asian buffet!!

As far as the 'no gun signs' Here in Ohio if there is a CPZ (criminal protection zone aka gun free zone) it has to be clearly marked with what we call a 'Gun Buster' sign... looks a lot like the ghostbusters logo but with a gun and not a ghost... LOL

SP101

Campaign Veteran
Last edited:

Curmudgeon

Good info, as always, Grapeshot! There is a restaurant that we used to go to for OC get togethers, but I can't recall the name of it. They were SUPER gun friendly and loved having us visit. I'll try to find it and post.

Found it:

Gettysburg Family Restaurant

1275 York Rd.

Gettysburg, Pa. 17325

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?52504-When-your-tummy-growls-in-Gettysburg

^This! A bunch of us went there after spending an open carry day at the battlefields. Otherwise I'm afraid my travels don't take me to those areas all that often so I can't say what your experience might be. I have not had a problem in over 5 years of OC throughout other areas of PA, and I would hope this would be the same.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

jahwarrior

We're currently under a declared state of emergency (again) because of the weather; during SOE's, you'll need a license/permit to carry, period. It doesn't matter if it's concealed, open, in Philly, outside of Philly, in a car, in a bus, in a box, with a fox...you'll need "permission" to carry.

Curmudgeon

We're currently under a declared state of emergency (again) because of the weather; during SOE's, you'll need a license/permit to carry, period. It doesn't matter if it's concealed, open, in Philly, outside of Philly, in a car, in a bus, in a box, with a fox...you'll need "permission" to carry.

^Good point, I'm always forgetting that SoE.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

^Good point, I'm always forgetting that SoE.

But of course!

There is no reason for LAC to defend themselves in an emergency. (sarcasm)

Charles Henderson

"NO GUN" signs in PA

Thank you very much!

No gun signs do not carry the force of the law in PA. a buisness can ask you to leave and you must comply. However a sign can not prohibit you from carrying inside any buisness were it is legal if you have a LTCF or CC license recognized by PA.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
No gun signs do not carry the force of the law in PA. a buisness can ask you to leave and you must comply. However a sign can not prohibit you from carrying inside any buisness were it is legal if you have a LTCF or CC license recognized by PA.
No cigar - businesses that are private property most assuredly can and do have such legal authority. Since PA is for all practical intents an OC state w/o a permit, the question of a permit/license is not germane.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Welcome to OCDO. Always good to see a new face.

Please provide the citation that supports your statement - or a citation to the appropriate section of the law where the statute ought to be found but is conspicuously missing. (Basically a list of places listed in the law where carry is prohibited, permit or no permit.)

And even if signs do not have "the force of law" regarding gun carry itself, I'm pretty sure that if an owner/manager asked you to leave and you did not you could face trespass charges. We here at OCDO generally favor taking the moral high road and leaving when asked to. Even if that means getting up from a half-eaten meal and only leaving a tip for your server.

stay safe.