Thread: Recommend a good leather holster, and mag pouch.

Recommend a good leather holster, and mag pouch.

So I'm looking for a holster, and double mag pouch (or 2 singles) for my new 1911, I primarily intend it for OC when I want to dress up a bit, I.E. formal/business wear for things like social functions, protests, voting, and government meetings. Basically it's not for everyday carry, but I would still like it to hold the pistol, and mags securely, and be decently functional just in case, but it's primary mission will be to look nice. (My normal holster is a level 2 retention holster similar to a SERPA.)

I would like brown leather molded to the pistol (it's a full size government model), and ideally it should have a forward "FBI" cant, and I would prefer no thumb break (They don't look very nice, and they drive me crazy, and to my mind are just one more thing to potentially foul up a draw stroke.). It goes without saying it should be OWB, but I would prefer a pancake style, but that's not set in stone.

The magazine carrier should be flap less (I HATE FLAPS!), and match the holster.

The problem though is that I am on a VERY tight budget, also I don't want to drop a lot of money on a holster I'm only going to use occasionally. Ideally I don't want to spend more than $60-$70 for both holster, and mag pouch combined. I'm finding finding anything leather in that price range to be very difficult. Got any suggestions?

Wish I could help but I make my own leather holsters instead of buying them. Good leather holsters are usually expensive, you could try looking on ebay though.

You can get Serpas in brown which looks similar to leather. You can also inlay poly holsters like serpas with proper preparation of the poly first. PVC cleaner(yellow can) and contact cement on both leather and poly will dress up a poly holster.

Maybe Grapeshot will post a pic of his inlay holster. He has mentioned it, but I don't think he has posted a pic of it.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 02-03-2014 at 08:43 PM.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Small_Arms_Collector View Post
    So I'm looking for a holster, and double mag pouch (or 2 singles) for my new 1911, I primarily intend it for OC when I want to dress up a bit, I.E. formal/business wear for things like social functions, protests, voting, and government meetings. Basically it's not for everyday carry, but I would still like it to hold the pistol, and mags securely, and be decently functional just in case, but it's primary mission will be to look nice. (My normal holster is a level 2 retention holster similar to a SERPA.)

I would like brown leather molded to the pistol (it's a full size government model), and ideally it should have a forward "FBI" cant, and I would prefer no thumb break (They don't look very nice, and they drive me crazy, and to my mind are just one more thing to potentially foul up a draw stroke.). It goes without saying it should be OWB, but I would prefer a pancake style, but that's not set in stone.

The magazine carrier should be flap less (I HATE FLAPS!), and match the holster.

The problem though is that I am on a VERY tight budget, also I don't want to drop a lot of money on a holster I'm only going to use occasionally. Ideally I don't want to spend more than $60-$70 for both holster, and mag pouch combined. I'm finding finding anything leather in that price range to be very difficult. Got any suggestions?
    Do a google search on Caldwell Gunleather to see some of this guys work. He makes holsters in his spare time. He is a deputy sheriff and sometimes is unbelievable busy but is worth the wait. I have had him to make me several holsters and highly recommend him. If interested send me a PM and I will give contact info if you can't find it online.

Quote Originally Posted by 9026543 View Post
    Do a google search on Caldwell Gunleather to see some of this guys work. He makes holsters in his spare time. He is a deputy sheriff and sometimes is unbelievable busy but is worth the wait. I have had him to make me several holsters and highly recommend him. If interested send me a PM and I will give contact info if you can't find it online.
    He is on ebay~~~http://stores.ebay.com/Caldwell-Gunleather
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Wish I could help but I make my own leather holsters instead of buying them. Good leather holsters are usually expensive, you could try looking on ebay though.

You can get Serpas in brown which looks similar to leather. You can also inlay poly holsters like serpas with proper preparation of the poly first. PVC cleaner(yellow can) and contact cement on both leather and poly will dress up a poly holster.

Maybe Grapeshot will post a pic of his inlay holster. He has mentioned it, but I don't think he has posted a pic of it.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Beautiful. Simply Beautiful, Grapeshot.

OK so I ordered my new holster, and mag pouch last night from Midway USA, total price shipped was $70.13 after a $10 off coupon code.

The brand is El Paso Saddlery.

holster:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/372...ProductFinding $48.99

Double mag pouch:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/943...ProductFinding $26.49

I almost got this one instead, but decided I liked the other one better:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/714...ProductFinding $27.49

This is the promo code I used: $10 off $50 - Promo Code: 46CDBC4

So how did I do?
    Last edited by Small_Arms_Collector; 02-06-2014 at 05:23 PM.

You will be the determining factor as to how well you did. Some people pay thousands for leather and are very happy. Some not.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

El Paso Saddlery, Galco, Bianchi, Safariland, Triple K, and numerous others make solid holsters and mag carriers for the 1911. I usually carry mine in a Galco, if that helps. I have both the Avenger http://www.galcogunleather.com/aveng..._8_4_1023.html and the Combat Master http://www.galcogunleather.com/comba..._8_4_1063.html . The Avenger is a little more secure due to the tension screw and easier to re-holster but the Combat Master is easier to conceal.