• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Recommend a good leather holster, and mag pouch.

Small_Arms_Collector

So I'm looking for a holster, and double mag pouch (or 2 singles) for my new 1911, I primarily intend it for OC when I want to dress up a bit, I.E. formal/business wear for things like social functions, protests, voting, and government meetings. Basically it's not for everyday carry, but I would still like it to hold the pistol, and mags securely, and be decently functional just in case, but it's primary mission will be to look nice. (My normal holster is a level 2 retention holster similar to a SERPA.)

I would like brown leather molded to the pistol (it's a full size government model), and ideally it should have a forward "FBI" cant, and I would prefer no thumb break (They don't look very nice, and they drive me crazy, and to my mind are just one more thing to potentially foul up a draw stroke.). It goes without saying it should be OWB, but I would prefer a pancake style, but that's not set in stone.

The magazine carrier should be flap less (I HATE FLAPS!), and match the holster.

The problem though is that I am on a VERY tight budget, also I don't want to drop a lot of money on a holster I'm only going to use occasionally. Ideally I don't want to spend more than $60-$70 for both holster, and mag pouch combined. I'm finding finding anything leather in that price range to be very difficult. Got any suggestions?

WalkingWolf

Wish I could help but I make my own leather holsters instead of buying them. Good leather holsters are usually expensive, you could try looking on ebay though.

You can get Serpas in brown which looks similar to leather. You can also inlay poly holsters like serpas with proper preparation of the poly first. PVC cleaner(yellow can) and contact cement on both leather and poly will dress up a poly holster.

Maybe Grapeshot will post a pic of his inlay holster. He has mentioned it, but I don't think he has posted a pic of it.

Last edited:

So I'm looking for a holster, and double mag pouch (or 2 singles) for my new 1911, I primarily intend it for OC when I want to dress up a bit, I.E. formal/business wear for things like social functions, protests, voting, and government meetings. Basically it's not for everyday carry, but I would still like it to hold the pistol, and mags securely, and be decently functional just in case, but it's primary mission will be to look nice. (My normal holster is a level 2 retention holster similar to a SERPA.)

I would like brown leather molded to the pistol (it's a full size government model), and ideally it should have a forward "FBI" cant, and I would prefer no thumb break (They don't look very nice, and they drive me crazy, and to my mind are just one more thing to potentially foul up a draw stroke.). It goes without saying it should be OWB, but I would prefer a pancake style, but that's not set in stone.

The magazine carrier should be flap less (I HATE FLAPS!), and match the holster.

The problem though is that I am on a VERY tight budget, also I don't want to drop a lot of money on a holster I'm only going to use occasionally. Ideally I don't want to spend more than $60-$70 for both holster, and mag pouch combined. I'm finding finding anything leather in that price range to be very difficult. Got any suggestions?

Do a google search on Caldwell Gunleather to see some of this guys work. He makes holsters in his spare time. He is a deputy sheriff and sometimes is unbelievable busy but is worth the wait. I have had him to make me several holsters and highly recommend him. If interested send me a PM and I will give contact info if you can't find it online.

WalkingWolf

Do a google search on Caldwell Gunleather to see some of this guys work. He makes holsters in his spare time. He is a deputy sheriff and sometimes is unbelievable busy but is worth the wait. I have had him to make me several holsters and highly recommend him. If interested send me a PM and I will give contact info if you can't find it online.

He is on ebay~~~http://stores.ebay.com/Caldwell-Gunleather

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Wish I could help but I make my own leather holsters instead of buying them. Good leather holsters are usually expensive, you could try looking on ebay though.

You can get Serpas in brown which looks similar to leather. You can also inlay poly holsters like serpas with proper preparation of the poly first. PVC cleaner(yellow can) and contact cement on both leather and poly will dress up a poly holster.

Maybe Grapeshot will post a pic of his inlay holster. He has mentioned it, but I don't think he has posted a pic of it.

2d79fkj.jpg

Small_Arms_Collector

OK so I ordered my new holster, and mag pouch last night from Midway USA, total price shipped was $70.13 after a $10 off coupon code.

The brand is El Paso Saddlery.

holster:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/372350/el-paso-saddlery-high-slide-outside-the-waistband-holster-right-hand-1911-leather-russet-brown?cm_vc=ProductFinding $48.99

149.jpg

Double mag pouch:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/943376/el-paso-saddlery-double-magazine-pouch-single-stack-magazine-leather-russet-brown?cm_vc=ProductFinding $26.49

123.jpg

I almost got this one instead, but decided I liked the other one better:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/714622/el-paso-saddlery-combat-express-belt-slide-holster-right-hand-1911-leather-russet-brown?cm_vc=ProductFinding $27.49

This is the promo code I used: $10 off $50 - Promo Code: 46CDBC4

So how did I do?

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

You will be the determining factor as to how well you did. Some people pay thousands for leather and are very happy. Some not.

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran