• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in State Parks

MountainDEWDjv

Looking to OC when I go hiking at Mohican State Park and Malabar Farm when spring hits.... Keep getting varying opinions on OC in state parks. I'm fairly certain that I read it was legal somewhere..... Im fixing to call my lawyer and talk to him about it but I figured I would save a couple bucks and ask ya'll. SO, is OC legal in Ohio State Parks / Forests??

Brian D.

Legal for the most part around the parks, at least outside of the government buildings that aren't used primarily as restrooms or shelters. Do some reading on this sub forum for a more detailed answer. I'm having a computer issue or would go into some more detail.

One more thing: Use a voice recorder if you open carry, and maybe even if you have a license and carry strictly concealed.

MountainDEWDjv

I dont have a purpose made voice recorder at the moment, but there is always a video camera running on my phone that sits in my breast pocket.. the mic is great. It works good enough for now, will be getting a good voice recorder with my income tax return... any recommendations?

Chuck!

I just use a $60 SONY from Office Max
Experiment a bit with the different mic settings
Mine is set for meetings, I think, and it works fine in an inside shirt pocket or even pants pockets

RT48

One thing to look out for is property around a dam or lake that is under the control of the Army Corps of Engineers. No guns allowed there.

BriKuz

One thing to look out for is property around a dam or lake that is under the control of the Army Corps of Engineers. No guns allowed there.

For example, the dam the Charles Mill and the dike over by the sail-boat club are both ACOE controlled... the guy from ACOE actually doesn't care... apparently, he has hunters going through all the time with their shotguns, but that doesn't me he won't be replaced by Duddley Doright...

MountainDEWDjv

For example, the dam the Charles Mill and the dike over by the sail-boat club are both ACOE controlled... the guy from ACOE actually doesn't care... apparently, he has hunters going through all the time with their shotguns, but that doesn't me he won't be replaced by Duddley Doright...

Thank you for clarifying!! :)

Brian D.

Ohio's state parks, fairly dangerous places?

Uh...sometimes, sure. If any of us knew when those times were in advance, we wouldn't visit the parks just then, right?

Some of the state parks farther from "civilization" don't get many visits by rangers like they used to. And it's not like the county sheriff offices jumped right in to fill the gaps. Good example is Strouds Run down near Athens. The ranger and maintenence buildings got sold, private property now right by the shooting range. The range is self service, bring your own everything. The campground, put money in a little box in front of your site, someone will be along eventually to pick it up. The boathouse is only open on weekends, best I can tell. The rangers patrol that and another park from a station many miles away, via some twisty hilly state routes.

Too long ago to recall details, but someone was murdered in one of Strouds Runs' restroom buildings, don't remember if that one got solved. Nice place to die all alone, hmm?

Brian D.

Nah, CoL, the homicide there occured many years before licensed concealed carry--at least the one I'm aware of. Only in bars and such did any sort of 'No guns' signs ever get posted.The details of the murder were sketchy and only because I was visiting the Athens area soon after the crime, did I learn about it to begin with. It had started to become a cold case. Al Gore's invention of the interwebz was several years in the future at that point. Thus it was tough to follow up when I left and got home. As you may recall, back then "local news" meant it wasn't heard of outside the local area it took place in.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Nah, CoL, the homicide there occured many years before licensed concealed carry--at least the one I'm aware of. Only in bars and such did any sort of 'No guns' signs ever get posted.The details of the murder were sketchy and only because I was visiting the Athens area soon after the crime, did I learn about it to begin with. It had started to become a cold case. Al Gore's invention of the interwebz was several years in the future at that point. Thus it was tough to follow up when I left and got home. As you may recall, back then "local news" meant it wasn't heard of outside the local area it took place in.

You mean Al Schottelkotte's "Spotlight Report"??????

"That's it for now, so until tomorrow, may it all be good news.. to.. you"