• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Advice on bad experience In Fredericksburg Shop

MNMGoneShooting

So I think I know which shop we are discussing and know the owner. I'd advise the OP to go to the owner directly. If I'm right, he would not support his staff's blockade to keep you from contacting him. Can't explain the NSF. Again, if I'm guessing right about the business, they are pretty successful in sales.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HPmatt

So I think I know which shop we are discussing and know the owner. I'd advise the OP to go to the owner directly. If I'm right, he would not support his staff's blockade to keep you from contacting him. Can't explain the NSF. Again, if I'm guessing right about the business, they are pretty successful in sales.

If you were dealing with employees as opposed the owner, and you got an NSF, issue is raised of who is in charge of the bank account. C/B owner doesn't know about the bounced check - thinks there is $$ in there, so could be a control of cash register issue involved.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
If you were dealing with employees as opposed the owner, and you got an NSF, issue is raised of who is in charge of the bank account. C/B owner doesn't know about the bounced check - thinks there is $$ in there, so could be a control of cash register issue involved.

It shouldn't matter from the customers point of view HP!
Writing hot checks is a serious blow to a business's credibility and failure to deal with it internally is a giant step to a going out of business sale.

TFred

Regarding writing bad checks, serious question here:

Where is the line that makes this illegal? In smaller towns where they still report such things in the local newspaper, you regularly see the arrest reports about folks being criminally charged for writing bad checks. Why does this not happen when a business does it?

Should the OP call the police?

TFred

TFred

§ 18.2-181. Issuing bad checks, etc., larceny.

Any person who, with intent to defraud, shall make or draw or utter or deliver any check, draft, or order for the payment of money, upon any bank, banking institution, trust company, or other depository, knowing, at the time of such making, drawing, uttering or delivering, that the maker or drawer has not sufficient funds in, or credit with, such bank, banking institution, trust company, or other depository, for the payment of such check, draft or order, although no express representation is made in reference thereto, shall be guilty of larceny; and, if this check, draft, or order has a represented value of $200 or more, such person shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony. In cases in which such value is less than $200, the person shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

The word "credit" as used herein, shall be construed to mean any arrangement or understanding with the bank, trust company, or other depository for the payment of such check, draft or order.

Any person making, drawing, uttering or delivering any such check, draft or order in payment as a present consideration for goods or services for the purposes set out in this section shall be guilty as provided herein.

(Code 1950, § 6.1-115; 1966, c. 584; 1975, cc. 14, 15; 1978, c. 791; 1981, c. 230.)

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-181
What is this "intent" you speak of!? Surely the author of this text has never read a gun law!! :eek:

TFred

Blk97F150

You need to learn to be more open minded and forgiving Blk......Like me!
smiley-laughing021.gif
smiley-laughing021.gif
smiley-laughing021.gif

LOL! Yeah.... I'll try to work on both. Maybe that will be my New Years Resolution.... starting next year!! :cool:

92fan

Bounced check

You will not be able to get an arrest warrant for the signer of the check if it is an incorporated business. If it's an proprietorship you can and should. Send a registered letter and wait the required 10 days, then go see the magistrate for a warrant. If it's an incorporated business go straight to litigation and sue for three times the amount of the check as allowed by state statue 18.2-181 Additionally if the check is over $200 and the business is not a corporation it's a felony charge.

I would go talk to them but do not give them the check or certified bank copy of the check without payment first.

Last edited:

solus

'with intent' means the instrument was written by the signatory who knew there was no or limited funds to cover the payment of the instrument.

honest mistake or fraudulent or bad business practice of floating funds, that is up to the courts to sort out.

I do agree with one poster's suggestion...find the owner and calmly discuss the situation, w/photocopy of the bounced check,with them.

again as one poster suggested, the owner/management may have internal embezzlement going on and not be truly aware because of their 'self proclaimed protectors' keeping bad news from the owner/managment.

insure you get an extra bit of penitence to cover gas and such..just saying!

keep us informed on your efforts.

ipse

Last edited: