Thread: Making guns safer by making safer guns?

Making guns safer by making safer guns?

It could work... here's an excerpt from gizmag.com:
    Launched in California last week, the global challenge identifies four different categories as key pillars in the effort to reduce gun violence and offers US$1 million in grants and prize money for each.

The Armatix intelligent pistol, which we looked at in 2010, is an example of the type of thinking the challenge is looking to encourage. Users identify themselves via a fingerprint sensor on a custom wristwatch, which in turn sends a signal to to the gun and enables it for use.

In offering substantial rewards for technological solutions to gun safety, the foundation believes it can make a safer country for all, without compromising the constitutional rights valued by so many.
    All you need is a new (probably very expensive) handgun, and a new (also probably very expensive) wristwatch, and you're in business. I'll go out on a limb here, and assume that there is a receiving unit somewhere in the gun, and unless it is enclosed within the materials composing the frame of the gun, it could probably be easily disabled/removed/hacked. The other downside would be, what are the consequences if your very expensive wristwatch stops working? Plus, it's one more time-consuming activation step the owner would need to take prior to bringing his/her sidearm into action. Nancy Pelosi would recommend that every gun user be forced to buy buy something like that (everybody but HER)... I wouldn't buy one if I lost a bet. Pax...
    Last edited by Gil223; 02-04-2014 at 03:27 PM. Reason: insert space
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

Must be fail safe.

As I learned in USN, "it must work fine and last a long time, not rust, bust or collect dust, fail safe and drain to the bilge." I now forget what that mnemonic was about.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Banned
    Be wary .. this is just another attempt to control arms via cost...like liability insurance, ammo tax, gun tax etc.

AND if the watch fails or the battery goes dead?...
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    AND if the watch fails or the battery goes dead?
    It will be covered under warranty to the original purchaser, non-transferable, providing the product was registered with model number, serial number, date and place of purchase and original receipt and use only in accordance with the user manual provisions.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

I'm sure that there is a market for this "smart" gun.....liberals and FUDDs.