Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OC in winter

OC in winter

How do you guys do it?

It's cold outside, so you put on a jacket. Then you've got to make sure the jacket is not covering the weapon. So you either have to lift the side over the weapon, or have it open on that side, or have a jacket specifically designed to go around your weapon.

It's easy when the weather is warmer and all you have is a shirt on. But how do you guys handle it when you have to start adding layers?

I sized my Beltman.com gun belts to go over my winter wear.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

My Serpa holster sticks out far enough to open carry over my coat. It is not so good for CC like I originally bought it for. Oops. Tend to CC a little more in winter.

David

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

anytime i use an OTW holster, i consider it OC. It may be mostly covered by a jacket but when i go inside and take it off, it's OC.

Since I have a CPL, I just don't worry about it. I just let the weather, and clothing determine my carry method. I use a large Serpa paddle holster, so if I had to OC I would just tuck my jacket behind it. Here in WA it doesn't get very cold anyway.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

IMO a defensive weapon does not do much good buried under layers of clothing, unless the bad guys believe in time outs. If I had to wear it under my coat I would just leave it at home.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

This is why I am not completely anti-CC. The weather defines how I carry. Up here, we can see -20 F days in the winter on a regular basis. Spikes to lower even. I OC as much as I can, but I also wear a jacket that is a layered system. All of the internal layers are shorter than the thin parka length outer. SO, my OWB holster is covered only by the thinnest outer layer. Sure it's CC, but putting bare or nearly bare hands on a -20F pistol isn't exactly conducive to effective shooting. So I CC while I'm walking around outside, which isn't much at that temp, then when I get into the building, I remove the outer layer and am OC.

There's always a way to be sure you have your tool handy.

Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    Since I have a CPL, I just don't worry about it. I just let the weather, and clothing determine my carry method. ....
    Same here. This is huge argument to be able to make against requiring a permit for CC when OC is otherwise legal, like in most states.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

See, normally I just wear a hoodie and have the gun side pulled up over and around the gun, but the next few days it's supposed to be cold with snow, so I'll probably be wearing a heavier coat, which is hard to maneuver the same way. I don't have my CHL yet, otherwise I wouldn't have to worry about it.

Everybody has to make these decisions who carry. But for me it is OC all the way. As far as cold gun, it has not been a problem. When it is very cold I wear driving gloves under extreme weather mittens. IMO it takes a lot less time to yank a mitten off then dig under a heavy coat. AND this worked for me just fine on one occasion with a dog that I sprayed with a OC'd canister of pepper spray. I keep all my tools on my belt for easy access.

I am more worried about lead poisoning or taking a beating than cold fingers for a split second. Or even worse with a weak heart going through rabies treatment.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

5.11 makes jackets, coats and even heavy parkas with zippers on both sides that make it easy to OC while bundled up for the weather. Most of their stuff is pricey, but very high quality, IMHO. I have several of their lighter jackets, one of which even has removable sleeves to turn it into a vest. All have zippers to facilitate OC as well as interior pockets not normally found on outerwear.

My level II serpa sits far enough away from my side that my carhartt (what I have been wearing mostly this winter) easily fits behind it. This method works just as well with other winter jackets that I have. I don't wear long trenchcoats that would muck that up. All of my jackets stop at the belt line.

I tailor my clothing style to accommodate my carry & deployment tactics. I want easy and quick access to my firearm, so I always carry strong side OWB. In winter I may be covering the weapon with a jacket, but the movement to access the firearm remains the same.

For this reason, I like having the option to CC or OC - I do not like having to be "paranoid" about how I carry.

I carry a single action .45 Colt in a Buscadero western holster, so my gun hangs low enough that I can wear a coat, cover the belt and ammo, and still leave my gun showing.
    If you're not ashamed to own it, don't be ashamed to open carry it.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Concealed carry, where you HIDE the exercise of your right to carry arms.

So you just OC for show then? Not a very practical SD weapon...

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT319 View Post
    So you just OC for show then? Not a very practical SD weapon...
    Ohh Boy, another one. I wonder if he is willing to stand in front of the business end of SA revolver.

No wonder his spouse does not respect him, he does not know how to control his mouth or have the ability of common sense.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

What you are comfortable in carrying is the most important thing. Don't think poorly about someones choice, because it is a revolver, a semi, a Taurus, a Hi-point, or a derringer. Trust me, I would need some new underwear if I was on the wrong end of a Colt .45. I carry a 1911 (with U.S. Army logo grips), and there is no reason if you are going to carry to not look good too
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson

I'm just meaning that there are serious drawbacks (in my mind) to carrying a single-action revolver for self-defense. First and foremost is that you have to cock the hammer each time, which seems to make quick follow-up shots much slower. Then besides the capacity (part of the reason I'm biased against revolvers, plus they've never felt comfortable in my hand), don't a lot of them have to be unloaded and reloaded one round at a time?

True, the imposing hole of a .45 barrel is going to give most people pause, but that's usually when face to face. Any farther and it's going to have less effect. I just believe there are better options out there.

And yes, it's better to carry something - anything - than to not carry at all.

Nothing wrong with a single action I owned several of them. Now down to I much prefer DAs revolvers for many reasons.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

I'm just meaning that there are serious drawbacks (in my mind) to carrying a single-action revolver for self-defense. First and foremost is that you have to cock the hammer each time, which seems to make quick follow-up shots much slower. Then besides the capacity (part of the reason I'm biased against revolvers, plus they've never felt comfortable in my hand), don't a lot of them have to be unloaded and reloaded one round at a time?
    I see you've never observed a cowboy action shooting competition before.

So you're assuming he has that same level of skill?

There are serious drawbacks to going unarmed because a person has not the nads to carry over objections by others. And really should not be pointing fingers at others for having the balls to carry how they please and not worry about whiners trying to get back some of their masculinity.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

I'm not a idiot, I assume anybody who has a firearm has a level of skill that could cause death or serious harm. Only a complete moron would test a armed persons skill.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

So........you're assuming he doesn't? Hmm

Anyway, that is one of the biggest benefits of OC'ing in the first place IMHO. The BG knowing I have a gun will hopefully think better of committing any wrong doing in my presence. Thus eliminating the need for me to even take it out, and having to fire it at all. While the CC only crowd are forced by the unknowing BG to draw, but hopefully not have to fire. Unfortunately if things have gone so badly that the gun is drawn, it may be too late to stop further action. I'm sure there are some stats out there that show the correlation of a gun being drawn, and then fired by police officers.
    Last edited by golddigger14s; 03-08-2014 at 04:24 AM.

By police, I would bet it's pretty low. They seem to draw all the time, even when there isn't a specific deadly threat. Often they draw just to compel compliance.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast