• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in winter

WalkingWolf

There are serious drawbacks to going unarmed because a person has not the nads to carry over objections by others. And really should not be pointing fingers at others for having the balls to carry how they please and not worry about whiners trying to get back some of their masculinity.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
So you're assuming he has that same level of skill?
So........you're assuming he doesn't? Hmm

Anyway, that is one of the biggest benefits of OC'ing in the first place IMHO. The BG knowing I have a gun will hopefully think better of committing any wrong doing in my presence. Thus eliminating the need for me to even take it out, and having to fire it at all. While the CC only crowd are forced by the unknowing BG to draw, but hopefully not have to fire. Unfortunately if things have gone so badly that the gun is drawn, it may be too late to stop further action. I'm sure there are some stats out there that show the correlation of a gun being drawn, and then fired by police officers.

Last edited:

DaveT319

By police, I would bet it's pretty low. They seem to draw all the time, even when there isn't a specific deadly threat. Often they draw just to compel compliance.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
There are serious drawbacks to going unarmed because a person has not the nads to carry over objections by others. And really should not be pointing fingers at others for having the balls to carry how they please and not worry about whiners trying to get back some of their masculinity.

This is TRUTH!!

I get people chuckling at my EDC now and then. I EDC a CZ82 in 9x18. Some think the round is too small and they are compelled to tell me of my "short coming". I feel very confidant that my weapon will do a more than adequate job when I need it. Besides, I really do not give a rats a$$ what anyone thinks of my weapon, it's on MY hip not yours.

sudden valley gunner

This is TRUTH!!

I get people chuckling at my EDC now and then. I EDC a CZ82 in 9x18. Some think the round is too small and they are compelled to tell me of my "short coming". I feel very confidant that my weapon will do a more than adequate job when I need it. Besides, I really do not give a rats a$$ what anyone thinks of my weapon, it's on MY hip not yours.

+1

I dare anyone who thinks the round is insufficient to test that theory.

WalkingWolf

This is TRUTH!!

My wife sometimes carries my PA-63 same caliber. The round worked very well for the Soviet police.

Firearms Iinstuctor

My wife sometimes carries my PA-63 same caliber. The round worked very well for the Soviet police.

Do you have any actual shooting data to back up that statement there are many reasons a government choses a certain caliber or round, performance in not necessarily one of them. .

Any caliber works well for executions or against unarm citizens.

WalkingWolf

Do you have any actual shooting data to back up that statement there are many reasons a government choses a certain caliber or round, performance in not necessarily one of them. .

Any caliber works well for executions or against unarm citizens.

The Soviets used the pistol from 1951 to 1991, 40 years. Do you have doubts about getting shot with a 9X18 would be inefective if not used for execustions or unarmed citizens? Do you think carrying a megga cartridge will make getting shot with a smaller caliber safe?

If you do I have a bridge for sale in Wilmington...:lol:

BTW I have used mine in self defense, to stop a charging pit bull. Two shots, only because the second shot comes out of reflex. He nose dived on the first shot. This dog weighed as much as a small person, I have no doubt getting shot by one would be traumatic. But then your mileage may very.

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

If longevity is the key to effectiveness then their are a lot of other pistol calibers that beat the 9x18 mak round like the 22 short 32S@W short etc..

No sane person wants to get shot with any thing all can kill or cause serious personal injury.

I carried and shot a Makarov a bit a 95 grain bullet at around 1100fps neither good or bad it is what it is.

I have shot critters with mine so.

Shot placement is always the key a well place 22rf well drop a 1100lb steer done that, a poorly placed bullet is just that.

Just because a round or pistol is used by a certain government doesn't make it good or bad plenty have been adopted for other reasons besides performance.

If you like carrying a certain round so be it, I have and still do now and then neither good or bad just a personal choice.

Making a blanket statements the just because this government uses it neither makes it good or better and isn't always the best indicator.

WalkingWolf

If longevity is the key to effectiveness then their are a lot of other pistol calibers that beat the 9x18 mak round like the 22 short 32S@W short etc..

No sane person wants to get shot with any thing all can kill or cause serious personal injury.

I carried and shot a Makarov a bit a 95 grain bullet at around 1100fps neither good or bad it is what it is.

I have shot critters with mine so.

Shot placement is always the key a well place 22rf well drop a 1100lb steer done that, a poorly placed bullet is just that.

Just because a round or pistol is used by a certain government doesn't make it good or bad plenty have been adopted for other reasons besides performance.

If you like carrying a certain round so be it, I have and still do now and then neither good or bad just a personal choice.

Making a blanket statements the just because this government uses it neither makes it good or better and isn't always the best indicator.
The 32 S&W was used by police for a good number years, here in the US. Simple matter is no matter how big or fancy your gun is, if you get shot, you are probably going to get hurt. I think it is absolutely silly to argue that bigger or more ammo is better against another person with even a 22 short.

But if you want to be the guinea pig, I can't stop you. Just get back to us and tell us how it works out.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
One of the advantages of our local weather is that it does not get very cold. I just saw a gentleman ride a motorcycle past my house, wearing a T shirt. This means no heavy jackets and better penetration on opponents. I normally do not deploy a weapon beyond twenty to twenty five feet. That gives me a very good shot group if the need arises. Makes me happy.

Rusty Young Man

One of the advantages of our local weather is that it does not get very cold. I just saw a gentleman ride a motorcycle past my house, wearing a T shirt. This means no heavy jackets and better penetration on opponents. I normally do not deploy a weapon beyond twenty to twenty five feet. That gives me a very good shot group if the need arises. Makes me happy.

Then I'm sure you would appreciate Arizona winters.

OT: I had to find a thicker sweater that wouldn't cover up my holster. In the end, I settled for one that allowed my to fold in that elastic portion at the bottom. Kind of like that photo of eye95 OCing in the winter (sans gloves, beanie, and beard). Didn't get caught on my holster (tested this various times before settling on it), was plenty warm for the area, and was already in my closet (penny saved). It is now my designated "OC sweater".

Firearms Iinstuctor

But if you want to be the guinea pig, I can't stop you. Just get back to us and tell us how it works out.

What does that statement have do with any thing, your the only one talking volunteer.

I have always stated getting shot with any thing is not a good idea.

I find that people who are losing an argument tend to make foolish statements to try and make their point.

WalkingWolf

What does that statement have do with any thing, your the only one talking volunteer.

I have always stated getting shot with any thing is not a good idea.

I find that people who are losing an argument tend to make foolish statements to try and make their point.

So you are saying then that any handgun round is effective? Correct?

Kopis

I tailor my clothing style to accommodate my carry & deployment tactics. I want easy and quick access to my firearm, so I always carry strong side OWB. In winter I may be covering the weapon with a jacket, but the movement to access the firearm remains the same.

For this reason, I like having the option to CC or OC - I do not like having to be "paranoid" about how I carry.

i echo what you said. I dont HAVE to show my firearm to make a statement like some. I prefer OC because it's easier to carry and draw. In winter, my jacket covers it, the movement and draw is still the same. Just having a choice is nice.

Last edited:

cabledawg

Prior to getting a CCW I just used a dropleg. Now that I can CC, I usually wear a hoodie that slightly covers my sidearm, but if a jacket is a must, the hoodie underneath gets tucked behind the sidearm and the jacket is left open front. But the dropleg is still an option, just havent used it as much.

Chief Ten Beers

So you just OC for show then? Not a very practical SD weapon...

If I was carrying just for show, I'd tie balloons and streamers on my gun to draw attention. My .45 Colt SAA is a very practical weapon, especially when I hand load my own ammo, and I use 250 grain Hornady XTP sitting on top of 10.9 grains of Blue Dot. It will stop any threat that will come around.