• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No One Here Are Rational Thinkers!

Aknazer

So, my MIL and I don't get along. Due to other reasons my wife and I haven't had contact with them in almost three years now. Then on my wife's birthday she got a rather long rant, which included this little gem:

...wearing a loaded gun and holster around, even to the mall!! Not rational thinking!

When I saw that little bit it made me think of you guys. So I just figured I would let you all know that you're not rational thinkers. Also when she asked why I was carrying a gun around the home she didn't seem to understand the comment that "100% of home invasions happen in the home, and to help normalize my kids to guns so that they aren't some mystical item."

Note that at the time of her visit OK was a CC-only state, and while I wouldn't be surprised if some of the doors of the mall were posted, the doors that we entered in through were not (since I'm sure some people are going to wonder about that).

HPmatt

Like the Irrational Gestapo in Des Moines

Here's a family sitting around their home in Des Moines, IA when the SWAT team comes looking for credit card thieves - with no results, other than charging a few occupants of the house on unrelated items. (Will these charges be tossed since they were not the subject of the Search Warrant - girl w probation issue and guy w drugs (visiting from CO or WA?)).

I guess the news guys were too busy to ask the DA or Des Moines or Ankeny Chief of Police why the 4A was being so terribly abused. Homeowner lady looks t/b traumatized. Maybe everyone needs to build David Koresh style doorways to repel the Stasi from asking what's for dinner.

Glad her son, who was carrying in the bathroom of his own home (drugs?), had his gun holstered when the cops kicked in the door.

I like how at the end of the video they show the cops destroying the homeowners property - pulling the camera off the wall and covering another one up.

Isn't credit card fraud a Class C misdemeanor? To send in a SWAT team? Some politicians need to reign in the attack dogs in the 'First State with a Preezy Primary'.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ized-america-iowa-family-terrorized//?print=1

PistolPackingMomma

I'm perfectly joyous not to meet your MIL's definition of "rational".

My genuine sympathies to your wife; sounds like a difficult situation, and not a pleasant one to deal with on her birthday.

stealthyeliminator

So, my MIL and I don't get along. Due to other reasons my wife and I haven't had contact with them in almost three years now. Then on my wife's birthday she got a rather long rant, which included this little gem:

When I saw that little bit it made me think of you guys. So I just figured I would let you all know that you're not rational thinkers. Also when she asked why I was carrying a gun around the home she didn't seem to understand the comment that "100% of home invasions happen in the home, and to help normalize my kids to guns so that they aren't some mystical item."

Note that at the time of her visit OK was a CC-only state, and while I wouldn't be surprised if some of the doors of the mall were posted, the doors that we entered in through were not (since I'm sure some people are going to wonder about that).

lol. I like it. What's not to get? I am thankful that I haven't had any family run-ins. For the most part, including in-laws, I believe they're either 'indifferent' or better.

mjf55

Other than the rant, I hope your wife had a good birthday.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Logan 5

MILs and rational thought...oh gawd! That's hilarious! Any more jokes? :rolleyes:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
It would be interesting to pose the question that lives in my sig below to your mother-in-law.... IF you were of a mind to do this and she of a mind to listen. Bet she would struggle with an answer that doesn't compromise her stance on the issue. But reality bites very hard at times and when it does, let's see who the real rational individual really is.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
My MIL is a Brit. She was very upset when she realized that I always had a holstered pistol on my hip.
When I explained that my purpose was to prevent any harm, by anybody, from happening to her daughter, the Love of my Life, she backed off. Now she even supports it.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
My MIL is a Brit. She was very upset when she realized that I always had a holstered pistol on my hip.
When I explained that my purpose was to prevent any harm, by anybody, from happening to her daughter, the Love of my Life, she backed off. Now she even supports it.

You see, with this you caught her in the perfect bind. If she still is upset about you carrying, then she as much as admits that her daughter's life is less valuable to her than her hard held beliefs. You effectively have her between a rock and a hard place with this one.

HPmatt

My MIL is a Brit. She was very upset when she realized that I always had a holstered pistol on my hip.....

Being a MIL I thought she was going to say ...that hip s/b for the grandbabies.
Perhaps those ride on the 'soon-to-be-strong side' - your other hip.:rolleyes:

stealthyeliminator

I'd like to become a rational thinker. Can you please ask your MIL just exactly how anti-gun I must become in order to be a rational thinker? lol

HPmatt

I'd like to become a rational thinker. Can you please ask your MIL just exactly how anti-gun I must become in order to be a rational thinker? lol

What was that Jack Nicholson quote - As Good As It Gets - "How do you write women so well?" He responds: "First, I think of man; then, I take away reason and accountability."

Aknazer

I actually did respond to her (the same day she sent the message to my wife). In it I included this bit "The fact that you wouldn't want your family able to protect themselves should they be targeted for a random act of violence is just mind boggling."

It has been a few days since I sent the message and she hasn't responded. If she responds with anything relating to the whole gun bit I'll be sure to post it. Note that it was a 2.5 page response to her, and the gun section was but a single paragraph. So if she ever responds I don't know if she will comment on that section or simply choose to ignore it.

sudden valley gunner

Your MIL even had some good conversations about how the rights of English are the foundation of many of our "Amercian Rights". Thanks to your efforts she has no problem with my OC as far as I can tell.

Freedom1Man

A little off topic, but about raitonal thought.

If she is your MIL, then would that make your wife your sister in law? If she is your sister (in law) then would you not be her brother (in law)?

IF the law views you as brother and sister then, why is the law allowing for you to be married?

7om5hipp

My mother in law is slightly like that, one minute she thinks I am stupid for wearing a gun and than another moment she is glad that I can protect my family. Now my wife's aunt on the other hand, hippy tree hugging anti gunner right there. She says that I will make people pick on my kids because their daddy wears a gun, and that guns are evil because they kill people. Needless to say I have fun when around them...

Aknazer

If she is your MIL, then would that make your wife your sister in law? If she is your sister (in law) then would you not be her brother (in law)?

IF the law views you as brother and sister then, why is the law allowing for you to be married?

Ahh, but I don't think the law itself views her has my mother, my BIL as my brother, nor my wife as my sister. Also since it is through my wife that she is my MIL, the title of wife comes first and thus overrides any other titles such as SIL. Now if my sister married her brother, then there might be something there (and I would be sure to give her crap about being my wife and SIL), but in the eyes of the actual law, she would still just be my wife.

My mother in law is slightly like that, one minute she thinks I am stupid for wearing a gun and than another moment she is glad that I can protect my family. Now my wife's aunt on the other hand, hippy tree hugging anti gunner right there. She says that I will make people pick on my kids because their daddy wears a gun, and that guns are evil because they kill people. Needless to say I have fun when around them...

Heh, my wife actually doesn't like confrontation. As such I've been biting my tongue for years when dealing with this person. Due to my wife not wanting to deal with the fallout for so many years I can only imagine all the fun that I've missed out on.