Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31

Thread: Justice Antonin Scalia says World War II-style internment camps could happen again

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,148

    Justice Antonin Scalia says World War II-style internment camps could happen again

    "Justice Antonin Scalia predicts that the Supreme Court will eventually authorize another a wartime abuse of civil rights such as the internment camps for Japanese-Americans during World War II. "You are kidding yourself if you think the same thing will not happen again," Scalia told the University of Hawaii law school while discussing Korematsu v. United States, the ruling in which the court gave its imprimatur to the internment camps."

    http://washingtonexaminer.com/justic...rticle/2543424

    A Discredited Supreme Court Ruling That Still, Technically, Stands
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/28/us...u-verdict.html
    Internments can happen again, Scalia warns http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/h...l?id=243454461
    G00gle Real time coverage - 54 articles ATM
    https://news.google.com/news/rtc?ncl...huser=0&ned=us

    A warning threat to Ohana?
    Last edited by Nightmare; 02-04-2014 at 06:10 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    idaho
    Posts
    760
    with 2.2 million full time prison inmates and another 1 million people arrested annually.....don't we already have that now ?

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    The court case that went all the way to SCOTUS regarding the Jap. interment has never been overturned; so its still the "law of the land".

    Which shows why I don't take SCOTUS opinions as gold.

  4. #4
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Subtle threat to ohana and anyone looking for sovereign identities.

    I have great conversations when I am back in Hawaii, by bringing up if the Hawaiins under the monarchy were allowed to keep and bear arms, do they think a small handful of haoles would have been able to overthrow the Queen?
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,148
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Subtle threat to ohana and anyone looking for sovereign identities.

    I have great conversations when I am back in Hawaii, by bringing up if the Hawaiins under the monarchy were allowed to keep and bear arms, do they think a small handful of haoles would have been able to overthrow the Queen?
    +1 Thank you. Mahalo.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    idaho
    Posts
    760
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Subtle threat to ohana and anyone looking for sovereign identities.

    I have great conversations when I am back in Hawaii, by bringing up if the Hawaiins under the monarchy were allowed to keep and bear arms, do they think a small handful of haoles would have been able to overthrow the Queen?
    There was a significant amount of support among Hawaiians for getting rid of the Queen.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    City of Seattle
    Posts
    33
    Smallpox killed 98% of the native population by 1850. There is only a handful of natives left in that state.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    idaho
    Posts
    760
    Quote Originally Posted by Around Here View Post
    Smallpox killed 98% of the native population by 1850. There is only a handful of natives left in that state.
    are you talking about Hawaii ?

    the natives were killing themselves are pretty good rate before Cook got there.

    about 15 years before Cook first landed there the population of Maui had been cut in half in a 2 year war with the other islands.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,148
    Quote Originally Posted by Around Here View Post
    Smallpox killed 98% of the native population by 1850. There is only a handful of natives left in that state.
    No. It took a century, from 1780 - 1880, for the kama'aina to dwindle from 500,000 to 50,000 when Queen Liliʻuokalani was deposed. Your concept of native is Western and awry. The Polynesians are a melange of island cultures. ATM 'native' Hawaiians are about 10% of 1.5 million.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  10. #10
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by onus View Post
    There was a significant amount of support among Hawaiians for getting rid of the Queen.
    There was not much support among the indigenous to be ruled by foreigners.

    A Southern senator, condemned the actions of the Americans who were plotting to overthrow the sovereignty of Islands in the late 19th century.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  11. #11
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,270
    Quote Originally Posted by onus View Post
    with 2.2 million full time prison inmates and another 1 million people arrested annually.....don't we already have that now ?
    No, and you should know better.

    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Subtle threat to ohana and anyone looking for sovereign identities.

    I have great conversations when I am back in Hawaii, by bringing up if the Hawaiins under the monarchy were allowed to keep and bear arms, do they think a small handful of haoles would have been able to overthrow the Queen?
    One of the great benefits of being a powerful, and sometimes colonial, power, is that we get what we want when we want it.

    Though, it seems some liberal judge(s) may go along with the feds giving virtually all of Wyoming back to those Siberian interlopers.

  12. #12
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    No, and you should know better.

    One of the great benefits of being a powerful, and sometimes colonial, power, is that we get what we want when we want it.

    Though, it seems some liberal judge(s) may go along with the feds giving virtually all of Wyoming back to those Siberian interlopers.
    I think that is why the politician from the south who the yankees thought would be on their side since they were taking over a brown nation was adamant against their imperialistic actions, he was all too familiar with it.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    idaho
    Posts
    760
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    There was not much support among the indigenous to be ruled by foreigners.

    A Southern senator, condemned the actions of the Americans who were plotting to overthrow the sovereignty of Islands in the late 19th century.

    I'm not sure what you mean by "indigenous" and "foreigner".

    I'm pretty sure based on your history of posts here that you wouldn't claim anyone "owns" land. I'm pretty sure you have been very supportive of people who are citizens of Mexico coming into America (illegally) and staying here (illegally).

    The history of the Hawaiian islands shows that essentially no one was "indigenous" to the islands. The people known as "Hawaiians" migrated from other nations very very late in the historical context of the worlds.

    The populating of Hawaii by human beings came later than almost every single land area in the world.

    The Hawaii islands were created by underwater volcanos and are some of the youngest land masses on earth.

  14. #14
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766
    Quote Originally Posted by onus View Post
    SNIP I'm pretty sure based on your history of posts here that you wouldn't claim anyone "owns" land.
    I foresee trouble over that conclusion.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  15. #15
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    I foresee trouble over that conclusion.
    +1 I am a strong supporter of property rights so I have no idea where he'd get that idea, unless he is thinking a government owning land since I am opposed to that.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    idaho
    Posts
    760
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    +1 I am a strong supporter of property rights so I have no idea where he'd get that idea, unless he is thinking a government owning land since I am opposed to that.
    I guess I don't understand your opposition to some people moving to a geographical location and then having a say in the government.

  17. #17
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,270
    Quote Originally Posted by onus View Post
    I guess I don't understand your opposition to some people moving to a geographical location and then having a say in the government.
    You do not understand because you have a very poor understanding of property rights. If you move to someone else's "property", without their permission to enter upon their property, and a subsequent invitation to remain as a member of that society, you have no right to have a "say" in their governance of their property.

    Your naivete knows no bounds.

    American "colonial" expansion (colonialism, Manifest Destiny). Google them and learn. I have no problem with our colonial past. Now, different issue.

  18. #18
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    You do not understand because you have a very poor understanding of property rights. If you move to someone else's "property", without their permission to enter upon their property, and a subsequent invitation to remain as a member of that society, you have no right to have a "say" in their governance of their property.

    Your naivete knows no bounds.

    American "colonial" expansion (colonialism, Manifest Destiny). Google them and learn. I have no problem with our colonial past. Now, different issue.

    +1 And you definitely don't have a right to overthrow the government of the peoples land you moved to.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    idaho
    Posts
    760
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    You do not understand because you have a very poor understanding of property rights. If you move to someone else's "property", without their permission to enter upon their property, and a subsequent invitation to remain as a member of that society, you have no right to have a "say" in their governance of their property.

    Your naivete knows no bounds.

    American "colonial" expansion (colonialism, Manifest Destiny). Google them and learn. I have no problem with our colonial past. Now, different issue.
    As far as I know everyone who moved to Hawaii did so lawfully.

    Once in Hawaii, they participated in the government.

    Some people falsely believe that "outsiders" illegally overthrew the ruling party in Hawaii. That's not true.

    There were people in Hawaii who wanted the ruling party removed and there were people who wanted it to stay.

    Almost every single person involved in the process were either born in Hawaii or moved there at some time.

    So again I ask what is the problem with people in Hawaii having a say in the government ?

    Suddens stance on the issue seems to be at odds with his stance on illegal aliens coming into America illegally and participated in government here.

  20. #20
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,270
    Quote Originally Posted by onus View Post
    As far as I know everyone who moved to Hawaii did so lawfully.

    Once in Hawaii, they participated in the government.

    Some people falsely believe that "outsiders" illegally overthrew the ruling party in Hawaii. That's not true.

    There were people in Hawaii who wanted the ruling party removed and there were people who wanted it to stay.

    Almost every single person involved in the process were either born in Hawaii or moved there at some time.

    So again I ask what is the problem with people in Hawaii having a say in the government ?

    Suddens stance on the issue seems to be at odds with his stance on illegal aliens coming into America illegally and participated in government here.
    Non sequitur. I addressed your overly broad statement. Your example above reaffirms my point.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    idaho
    Posts
    760
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Non sequitur. I addressed your overly broad statement. Your example above reaffirms my point.
    okay. I don't know what point you were making though

  22. #22
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by onus View Post
    As far as I know everyone who moved to Hawaii did so lawfully.

    Once in Hawaii, they participated in the government.

    Some people falsely believe that "outsiders" illegally overthrew the ruling party in Hawaii. That's not true.

    There were people in Hawaii who wanted the ruling party removed and there were people who wanted it to stay.

    Almost every single person involved in the process were either born in Hawaii or moved there at some time.

    So again I ask what is the problem with people in Hawaii having a say in the government ?

    Suddens stance on the issue seems to be at odds with his stance on illegal aliens coming into America illegally and participated in government here.
    You lack an understanding of what happened in history, it wasn't a legal participation of government that overthrew the Queen, it was a violent coercive attack.

    Please cite where I have said "illegals" can participate in government here?
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    idaho
    Posts
    760
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    You lack an understanding of what happened in history, it wasn't a legal participation of government that overthrew the Queen, it was a violent coercive attack.
    I think I have a good understanding of the history of Hawaii.

    I am not aware of any violent attacks in Hawaii prior to or during the "overthrow" of the Queen.

  24. #24
    Campaign Veteran Cavalryman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    308
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    +1 And you definitely don't have a right to overthrow the government of the peoples land you moved to.
    That is a very recent attitude (i.e., the latter half of the 20th century) and can't rationally be used to examine the behaviors of people in the 18th and 19th centuries. Overthrowing the government and taking the property was exactly the reason for moving to another land.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    idaho
    Posts
    760
    Keep in mind Queen Lili wasn't exactly the nicest person in the world and didn't exactly believe in democracy and treating the "underclass" very well.

    Also keep in mind how people like her and her family kept the power they had. More than a few people had to lose their heads and more than a few THOUSAND people died in battles......long before the white man "overthrew" her.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •