Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: The Antis Won't like this.

  1. #1
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,616

    The Antis Won't like this.

    A DOJ Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) "special report" shows that "firearm-related" homicides fell by 39 percent between 1993 and 2011.

    It also showed that violent crime -- or "nonfatal firearm-related violent victimization against persons aged 12 or older"-- declined by 70% over the same time period.

    http://jpfo.org/alerts2014/alert20140204.htm
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 02-04-2014 at 07:16 PM.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  2. #2
    Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,318
    Whoa, is it just me or is 39% and 70% pretty huge? How about that...
    Advocate freedom please

  3. #3
    Regular Member Primus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    4,216
    Won't the antis just say those drops correspond with all the stupid laws they've passed?

    Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

  4. #4
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    Won't the antis just say those drops correspond with all the stupid laws they've passed?

    Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    And I will quickly point out the stupid laws that were sunsetted, (like the AWB ban). That the there has been a huge increase in gun ownership.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  5. #5
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,616
    Also this occurred during a period of unprecedented growth in the quantity of guns purchased and the number of people carrying.

    More Guns Equals Less Crime
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Maverick9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Mid-atlantic
    Posts
    1,505
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    A DOJ Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) "special report" shows that "firearm-related" homicides fell by 39 percent between 1993 and 2011.

    It also showed that violent crime -- or "nonfatal firearm-related violent victimization against persons aged 12 or older"-- declined by 70% over the same time period.

    http://jpfo.org/alerts2014/alert20140204.htm
    That's kind of a naive comment. Since when have 'antis' looked at statistics? Or statistics that don't support their views? Or fail to twist statistics to make it seem their emotional tirades are what does the job?

    It's like arguing with your crazy M-i-L. You just can't win, Grape. Don't even try. Have to say VCDL did a bang up job this session.

  7. #7
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,616
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    A DOJ Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) "special report" shows that "firearm-related" homicides fell by 39 percent between 1993 and 2011.

    It also showed that violent crime -- or "nonfatal firearm-related violent victimization against persons aged 12 or older"-- declined by 70% over the same time period.

    http://jpfo.org/alerts2014/alert20140204.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick9 View Post
    That's kind of a naive comment. Since when have 'antis' looked at statistics? Or statistics that don't support their views? Or fail to twist statistics to make it seem their emotional tirades are what does the job?

    It's like arguing with your crazy M-i-L. You just can't win, Grape. Don't even try. Have to say VCDL did a bang up job this session.
    "Naive" - really? Not sure who (DOJ or myself?) you think is lacking in experience or ability to recognize facts as presented. Never said that the antis would like the reports - said the polar opposite.

    The antis are blind to the truth and asleep at the throttle of a train speeding down the only track they know......into a dead end tunnel.

    They remind me of an old, bad joke: What is the last thing that goes through a bug's mind when he hits your windshield? Ans: His azz.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  8. #8
    Regular Member DW98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    267
    And here we are down here with ever-increasing crime rates and still no talk of self-defense....

  9. #9
    Regular Member Maverick9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Mid-atlantic
    Posts
    1,505
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    "Naive" - really? Not sure who (DOJ or myself?) you think is lacking in experience or ability to recognize facts as presented. Never said that the antis would like the reports - said the polar opposite.

    The antis are blind to the truth and asleep at the throttle of a train speeding down the only track they know......into a dead end tunnel.

    They remind me of an old, bad joke: What is the last thing that goes through a bug's mind when he hits your windshield? Ans: His azz.
    Imprecise on my part. Should read 'naive title' - they ...won't like this. Heck, they just spin and spin (and can sit on it and spin for all I care). But your content was priceless. So, mea culpa

  10. #10
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849
    Anti's keep screaming about how easy it is to get guns. How just anybody can walk into a gun store or a gun show and come out with an arsenal (their words). Well this is patently untrue. It is much harder to buy guns today than it was 60 years ago.

    When I was growing up in the 50's, firearms could be purchased at gas stations, hardware stores, department stores, of course gun stores, and even drug stores. And there was no paper work. Your receipt was not different than the one you would be handed if you bought a watch or a hammer.

    These people both don't know and don't realize this because: A) most weren't alive back then; B) those that were alive didn't grow up in that climate, or; C) are lying because to do otherwise subverts their agenda.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  11. #11
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,273
    All of those businesses would be selling common guns today, big money in guns, if the feds didn't make it so freaking impossible to do business in selling guns. It is far easier to sell, gum, TP, milk, lipstick, shampoo, and candy bars than it is to sell a gun.

  12. #12
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,278
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    Anti's keep screaming about how easy it is to get guns. How just anybody can walk into a gun store or a gun show and come out with an arsenal (their words). Well this is patently untrue. It is much harder to buy guns today than it was 60 years ago.

    When I was growing up in the 50's, firearms could be purchased at gas stations, hardware stores, department stores, of course gun stores, and even drug stores. And there was no paper work. Your receipt was not different than the one you would be handed if you bought a watch or a hammer.

    These people both don't know and don't realize this because: A) most weren't alive back then; B) those that were alive didn't grow up in that climate, or; C) are lying because to do otherwise subverts their agenda.
    Before the 68 GCA there was a grocery store I remember selling handguns. YET still the store never got robbed.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  13. #13
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,616
    As a young teen, I was given a hangun by a dear ol' lady, a neighbor - there was only one rule: my parents had to agree first - they did.

    My parents never felt the need to tell me when, where or how to handle it - that had already been done quite effectively.

    Had several long guns too. Mom "borrowed" one after asking me to teach her how to clean it. She sat on the front steps in full view of our Peeping Tom neighbor cleaning that shotgun - never had any similar problems with him.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  14. #14
    Regular Member DW98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    As a young teen, I was given a hangun by a dear ol' lady, a neighbor - there was only one rule: my parents had to agree first - they did.

    My parents never felt the need to tell me when, where or how to handle it - that had already been done quite effectively.

    Had several long guns too. Mom "borrowed" one after asking me to teach her how to clean it. She sat on the front steps in full view of our Peeping Tom neighbor cleaning that shotgun - never had any similar problems with him.
    God, that depressed me.

    Hang onto your rights at all costs....

  15. #15
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Before the 68 GCA there was a grocery store I remember selling handguns. YET still the store never got robbed.
    We had a little place called the "Swap Shop" in our town. I'm pretty sure they also had some firearms there. Definitely remember our local hardware store carrying firearms. I bought my first gun on Friday, April 5, 1968, the day after MLK was killed. It was a new Ruger Super Single Six convertible and the transaction was simple. Just paid my $78 plus tax and took it home. That little local gun shop did a hell of a business that day.

    The next gun I got was a Ruger Blackhawk .357 6 1/2" barrel just two weeks before the '68 GCA took effect. Got in in mid December, 1968 from a gun store in Maryland; it was legal then to buy handguns across state lines.
    Last edited by SouthernBoy; 02-06-2014 at 08:20 AM.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  16. #16
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    Won't the antis just say those drops correspond with all the stupid laws they've passed?...
    Exactly. The big Assault Weapons Ban, with its magazine limit on all detachable mags for all firearms was 1994-2004.

    This data is over too long a period that saw too many things happen to credit anything for it.

    There are three ways to mislead people: White Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  17. #17
    Campaign Veteran MSG Laigaie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Philipsburg, Montana
    Posts
    3,137
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    More Guns Equals Less Crime
    This is Truth! I do not understand why this does not sink in tio the minds of the "antis".



    Quote Originally Posted by DW98 View Post
    And here we are down here with ever-increasing crime rates and still no talk of self-defense....
    I feel badly for your situation mate. Only the People of Oz can take them back.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

  18. #18
    Campaign Veteran deepdiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Southeast, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    5,974
    Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. -John Adams

    Unfortunately for the sake of a national dialogue, that ubiquitous thing of which we often hear but rarely witness, facts are not part of the anti's wheelhouse. They rely on emotion and hyperbole instead.

  19. #19
    Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,318
    Quote Originally Posted by deepdiver View Post
    Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. -John Adams

    Unfortunately for the sake of a national dialogue, that ubiquitous thing of which we often hear but rarely witness, facts are not part of the anti's wheelhouse. They rely on emotion and hyperbole instead.
    Or just outright lies. It amazes me the lies that people may tell, even on a national stage, and largely get away with it.
    Advocate freedom please

  20. #20
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,616
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    Or just outright lies. It amazes me the lies that people may tell, even on a national stage, and largely get away with it.
    Hopefully not on our watch.

    Not too many years ago, in the historical sense, the penalty for bearing false witness was extreme - those convicted had not the means to repeat the offense.

    Now we, being more civilized, do battle armed with facts/truth in the courtrooms and legislatures across this country.

    Rest well lads, for tomorrow we fight again.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  21. #21
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,273
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    We had a little place called the "Swap Shop" in our town. I'm pretty sure they also have some firearms there. Definitely remember our local hardware store carrying firearms. I bought my first gun on Friday, April 5, 1968, the day after MLK was killed. It was a new Ruger Super Single Six convertible and the transaction was simple. Just paid my $78 plus tax and took it home. That little local gun shop did a hell of a business that day.

    The next gun I got was a Ruger Blackhawk .357 6 1/2" barrel just two weeks before the '68 GCA took effect. Got in in mid December, 1968 from a gun store in Maryland; it was legal then to buy handguns across state lines.
    Kingstree True Value Hardware, 110 S LONGSTREET STREET, Kingstree, SC 29556-3903

    Google Map it and see where I buy ammo. No firearms now, used to have some .22LRs and shotguns. Not much ammo it goes quick when they get some in, times are tough out in the country.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •