Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: A gun safe to appeal to technology lovers...

  1. #1
    Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,318

    A gun safe to appeal to technology lovers...

    http://www.thegunbox.com/

    I love the idea of it.. But there are a few design features I'm just unsure of. Like, the failsafe... Remove one screw to open the safe? I don't think so... http://www.thegunbox.com/faqs.php#13 At least it can be "disabled" of sorts.

    I mean, it looks decent enough to keep the kids out. Hopefully the electronics are reliable.

    Edit: I like that it has an audible alarm that will sound when it's moved/picked up. Could it cause a common thief to ditch it maybe in favor of less-noisy loot? Maybe not, but maybe.
    Last edited by stealthyeliminator; 02-04-2014 at 07:58 PM.
    Advocate freedom please

  2. #2
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,275
    That is the nice thing about DA revolvers, a HD padlock behind the trigger. Wear the key around your neck, I used this system for years, it was the recommended way to secure a DA revolver by the department. Chaining it to a stud in the wall keeps it from being removed easily. Low tech but only about 30 bucks. I am betting a decent DA revolver is cheaper than the safe in the video.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 02-04-2014 at 09:13 PM.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    No need for any of that ... kept my guns loaded ready to go ... occupants knew how to use guns .. respect them too.

    I sleep well.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Maverick9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Mid-atlantic
    Posts
    1,505
    Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    Ditto!
    With the exception of the kitchen and dining room, I'm within 10 feet of a gun at all times.
    If you're living somewhere 'dangerous, or have a need for a firearm, this is a fairly poor strategy. If, like many who live in a fantasy world (yay!).

    So, curious why kitchen and DR gun-free zones? How do you keep within 10 in bath?

    Since you don't mention if you have kids, live alone, are a bartender, zookeeper, sorry this post is almost zero informational assistance.

    Thanks for sharing; why not OC on your person in the house?

  5. #5
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,272
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...Tz_stype%3DGNU

    $279 or $35?

    Cheaper and no batteries required.

  6. #6
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,275
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...Tz_stype%3DGNU

    $279 or $35?

    Cheaper and no batteries required.
    We bought our keyed safe from Walmart for 20 dollars shipping included. It secures with a cable. It is what my wife uses to store her 380 when it is not on her. In the trunk I have two cables to secure two handguns through the trigger guards.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  7. #7
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,272
    My Walmart sucks then, just those cheap plastic gun cases with a hole to put a padlock on. I got mine on special $19.99 (+ tax) during a Xmas sale some years back.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Posts
    2,464
    Why a lock for my self defense gun? If I'm sleeping, it's under my pillow. If I'm awake, it's on my side. I don't understand how a lock would help.

  9. #9
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,272
    It's a legal thing.....depending on where you live.....or travel through.

  10. #10
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,275
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    My Walmart sucks then, just those cheap plastic gun cases with a hole to put a padlock on. I got mine on special $19.99 (+ tax) during a Xmas sale some years back.
    I'll look for the item sku, but it was not plastic, but steel just like the 35 dollar bulldog 1150. The difference was no bracket just a tether cable. The company makes two models that are similar, one opens electronically and the other opens with a key. We have the one with a key. As far as our trunk it is not plastic either and opens both electronically and with a key. Plus has the cables through the trigger guards.

    Will not stop a expert thief who has planned, but then most thieves are subjects of opportunity. Make it more difficult and they find a less difficult object to steal.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  11. #11
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,275
    Quote Originally Posted by georg jetson View Post
    Why a lock for my self defense gun? If I'm sleeping, it's under my pillow. If I'm awake, it's on my side. I don't understand how a lock would help.
    All my guns except for a couple are in a safe at home. When I go to the doctor(hospital/educational) property it is illegal to carry. The guns get locked up in the car. But daytime locked up IMO there is less chance of someone yanking and beating on handgun safe in a busy parking lot.

    The last two doctors visits the offices were not in the hospital and we both carried.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 02-05-2014 at 11:36 AM.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  12. #12
    Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,318
    Quote Originally Posted by georg jetson View Post
    Why a lock for my self defense gun? If I'm sleeping, it's under my pillow. If I'm awake, it's on my side. I don't understand how a lock would help.
    I will never sleep with a gun under my pillow... Too much tossing, turning, etc.

    Also, not everyone is able to simply "leave out" their handgun without dangers or carry it on their person whenever they're awake. I don't carry at work, for instance. What do I do then? Just leave it under my pillow? That is not an option. Cheaper gun safes? Yes, absolutely. However, like I said, this is one to appeal to the technology lovers like myself

    I would very likely buy this just for the cool factor, as long as it's reliable.
    Advocate freedom please

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    I will never sleep with a gun under my pillow... Too much tossing, turning, etc.

    Also, not everyone is able to simply "leave out" their handgun without dangers or carry it on their person whenever they're awake. I don't carry at work, for instance. What do I do then? Just leave it under my pillow? That is not an option. Cheaper gun safes? Yes, absolutely. However, like I said, this is one to appeal to the technology lovers like myself

    I would very likely buy this just for the cool factor, as long as it's reliable.
    What's a pillow? Nice cold steel ... best pillow you'll need.

    I picked up a gun lock, they were free, being given away. Used it to lock up other things. So gun locks have their uses, just not on guns.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Suffolk Virginia
    Posts
    699
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick9 View Post
    If you're living somewhere 'dangerous, or have a need for a firearm, this is a fairly poor strategy. If, like many who live in a fantasy world (yay!).

    So, curious why kitchen and DR gun-free zones? How do you keep within 10 in bath?

    Since you don't mention if you have kids, live alone, are a bartender, zookeeper, sorry this post is almost zero informational assistance.

    Thanks for sharing; why not OC on your person in the house?
    What, don't shower with yours?

    Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •