• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A gun safe to appeal to technology lovers...

stealthyeliminator

http://www.thegunbox.com/

I love the idea of it.. But there are a few design features I'm just unsure of. Like, the failsafe... Remove one screw to open the safe? I don't think so... http://www.thegunbox.com/faqs.php#13 At least it can be "disabled" of sorts.

I mean, it looks decent enough to keep the kids out. Hopefully the electronics are reliable.

Edit: I like that it has an audible alarm that will sound when it's moved/picked up. Could it cause a common thief to ditch it maybe in favor of less-noisy loot? Maybe not, but maybe.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

That is the nice thing about DA revolvers, a HD padlock behind the trigger. Wear the key around your neck, I used this system for years, it was the recommended way to secure a DA revolver by the department. Chaining it to a stud in the wall keeps it from being removed easily. Low tech but only about 30 bucks. I am betting a decent DA revolver is cheaper than the safe in the video.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
No need for any of that ... kept my guns loaded ready to go ... occupants knew how to use guns .. respect them too.

I sleep well.

Maverick9

Ditto!
With the exception of the kitchen and dining room, I'm within 10 feet of a gun at all times.

If you're living somewhere 'dangerous, or have a need for a firearm, this is a fairly poor strategy. If, like many who live in a fantasy world (yay!).

So, curious why kitchen and DR gun-free zones? How do you keep within 10 in bath?

Since you don't mention if you have kids, live alone, are a bartender, zookeeper, sorry this post is almost zero informational assistance. :)

Thanks for sharing; why not OC on your person in the house?

WalkingWolf

OC for ME

My Walmart sucks then, just those cheap plastic gun cases with a hole to put a padlock on. I got mine on special $19.99 (+ tax) during a Xmas sale some years back.

georg jetson

Why a lock for my self defense gun? If I'm sleeping, it's under my pillow. If I'm awake, it's on my side. I don't understand how a lock would help.

WalkingWolf

My Walmart sucks then, just those cheap plastic gun cases with a hole to put a padlock on. I got mine on special $19.99 (+ tax) during a Xmas sale some years back.

I'll look for the item sku, but it was not plastic, but steel just like the 35 dollar bulldog 1150. The difference was no bracket just a tether cable. The company makes two models that are similar, one opens electronically and the other opens with a key. We have the one with a key. As far as our trunk it is not plastic either and opens both electronically and with a key. Plus has the cables through the trigger guards.

Will not stop a expert thief who has planned, but then most thieves are subjects of opportunity. Make it more difficult and they find a less difficult object to steal.

WalkingWolf

Why a lock for my self defense gun? If I'm sleeping, it's under my pillow. If I'm awake, it's on my side. I don't understand how a lock would help.

All my guns except for a couple are in a safe at home. When I go to the doctor(hospital/educational) property it is illegal to carry. The guns get locked up in the car. But daytime locked up IMO there is less chance of someone yanking and beating on handgun safe in a busy parking lot.

The last two doctors visits the offices were not in the hospital and we both carried.

Last edited:

stealthyeliminator

I will never sleep with a gun under my pillow... Too much tossing, turning, etc.

Also, not everyone is able to simply "leave out" their handgun without dangers or carry it on their person whenever they're awake. I don't carry at work, for instance. What do I do then? Just leave it under my pillow? That is not an option. Cheaper gun safes? Yes, absolutely. However, like I said, this is one to appeal to the technology lovers like myself :)

I would very likely buy this just for the cool factor, as long as it's reliable.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I will never sleep with a gun under my pillow... Too much tossing, turning, etc.

Also, not everyone is able to simply "leave out" their handgun without dangers or carry it on their person whenever they're awake. I don't carry at work, for instance. What do I do then? Just leave it under my pillow? That is not an option. Cheaper gun safes? Yes, absolutely. However, like I said, this is one to appeal to the technology lovers like myself :)

I would very likely buy this just for the cool factor, as long as it's reliable.

What's a pillow? Nice cold steel ... best pillow you'll need.

I picked up a gun lock, they were free, being given away. Used it to lock up other things. So gun locks have their uses, just not on guns.

mpguy

If you're living somewhere 'dangerous, or have a need for a firearm, this is a fairly poor strategy. If, like many who live in a fantasy world (yay!).

So, curious why kitchen and DR gun-free zones? How do you keep within 10 in bath?

Since you don't mention if you have kids, live alone, are a bartender, zookeeper, sorry this post is almost zero informational assistance. :)

Thanks for sharing; why not OC on your person in the house?

What, don't shower with yours? :p

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk