• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

?? about inheriting handguns

Show-me_Greg

My dad, who was a Kansas resident, passed away this past summer. My mom wanted to get his guns out of the house and she gave them to me. Several handguns and long guns.

By law, am I required to file any paperwork, or am I ok?

I don't want any issues like are being discussed under a separate topic.

Thanks

Redbaron007

My dad, who was a Kansas resident, passed away this past summer. My mom wanted to get his guns out of the house and she gave them to me. Several handguns and long guns.

By law, am I required to file any paperwork, or am I ok?

I don't want any issues like are being discussed under a separate topic.

Thanks

My quick recollection is, as long as you are legally able to own the firearms and no consideration is being made, they don't have to pass through an FFL. Disclosure....I am not an dealer with a FFL. Please feel free to correct me.

OC for ME

...shall not preclude any person who lawfully acquires a firearm by bequest or intestate succession in a State other than his State of residence from transporting the firearm into or receiving it in that State, if it is lawful for such person to purchase or posses such firearm in that State...

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/uscode/18/I/44/922

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Intestate+Succession
Loose lips sink ships. ;)

Technically, being his son, and direct heir, absent a Last Will and Testament, the executor is responsible for the proper disposition of the estate. Kansas may be like the majority of states where the spouse, absent a will, is the defacto executor and may dispose of the estate's property as she sees fit. All she has to "say" is; "Dad wanted you to have these."