• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Firearms Prohibited" sign at the Washoe County Sheriff's Office

rickyray9

I talked to Lt. Greene at the WCSO and he said (politely) that it's the Sheriff's policy, since the sheriff's office is attached to the jail. There are, however, no metal detectors at the door, and the jail is not accessible from the Sheriff's office side by civilians. I tried calling the DA's office for their take on the issue, and the operator said they don't give legal advice and I need to call a lawyer... any advice from people who have done this stuff before?

Attachments

• IMAG0037.jpg
    IMAG0037.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 189

rickyray9

that law is for concealed carry, I'm talking about open carry. The sign makes a blanket statement of "no firearms," not "no concealed firearms"

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to our world. The enforcement of the sign against openly carried firearms is a direct violation of state law. We live with it here, too.

There is no penalty clause to our state preemption laws on regulation of firearms possession. Our sheriff is among the biggest lawbreakers in the county.

They will first ask politely that you obey the sign. Once they realize you actually know the law, they will get nasty. They will intimidate you. They will harass you. They will blatantly refuse to conduct your lawful business. They will NOT cite you. They will NOT arrest you.

jfrey123

The sign has weight of law for CCW permit holders actively concealing (as shown in the NRS above). By all interpretation by us Internet statute readers, it would be a violation of state preemption for them to prohibit OC. I don't have the money to be a test case. One of the members here got tossed for OC at the NHP facility south on Kitezkie (video floating around somewhere...)

I'll go on record saying we might see some OC restrictions get proposed next session if we all decide to start pushing the issue on their home turf... Not seeing the benefit to the community here.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
Hi RickyRay9,

Didn't you used to work there as a deputy?

A few years back when I went to submit my CCW application I tried to open carry inside.

Basically, after 45 minutes, the guy at the info desk noticed, and when I tried to explain that OC was legal, he called down some deputies. I showed the first deputy, a nice young guy, the law as written, and he agreed with me and walked off. But then as I sat down getting ready to do fingerprinting, if I recall correctly, two more deputies came, told me to stand up, grabbed me and moved me to the entry room between the double doors, where I was questioned for a considerable duration. Quite a few deputies were there, and the highest ranking one at the time was telling me I needed to put it in my car, then I could come back and fill out my application. He said my alternative was to be arrested. They went into the hall and talked amongst themselves for a while about whether to arrest me or not, and when they put the cuffs on I decided at that time I'd rather not be arrested if I could help it, so they let me put my gun in the car and come back and fill out my application.

So, that was an interesting way to spend my 21st birthday. Well, I think my birthday was the day before, but that was the day for my celebration :)

I was supposed to get contacted by a higher ranking officer there, but when I never heard back I called and found out he retired. Later I got a call from the Assistant District Attorney who basically said she agreed with me on my interpretation of the law, but she said she would stand with the deputies in preventing armed people from entering. On the phone, I told her that the DMV agreed that people could open carry past their signs, and she said she would have liked to see something in writing to that point from the DMV. Perhaps I should have tried to do just that, but at the time I was concerned that if I tried to get something from the DMV in writing that the DMV might try and use the DA's stance on the matter as an excuse to try and restrict guns themselves. But in retrospect, it probably would have been a good idea to try. The DMV is a state agency, so they should care more about the opinion of the Attorney General of Nevada than a county prosecutor.

So basically they don't care what the law says, they won't let people in with guns. That was the last I heard about the matter, anyway.

For a while after the incident I think they were definitely investigating me, squad car at the edge of my street, following me to work, etc. But I guess they forgave me, because they let me be a CCW instructor.

Last edited:

rickyray9

Hi RickyRay9,

Didn't you used to work there as a deputy?

A few years back when I went to submit my CCW application I tried to open carry inside.

Basically, after 45 minutes, the guy at the info desk noticed, and when I tried to explain that OC was legal, he called down some deputies. I showed the first deputy, a nice young guy, the law as written, and he agreed with me and walked off. But then as I sat down getting ready to do fingerprinting, if I recall correctly, two more deputies came, told me to stand up, grabbed me and moved me to the entry room between the double doors, where I was questioned for a considerable duration. Quite a few deputies were there, and the highest ranking one at the time was telling me I needed to put it in my car, then I could come back and fill out my application. He said my alternative was to be arrested. They went into the hall and talked amongst themselves for a while about whether to arrest me or not, and when they put the cuffs on I decided at that time I'd rather not be arrested if I could help it, so they let me put my gun in the car and come back and fill out my application.

So, that was an interesting way to spend my 21st birthday. Well, I think my birthday was the day before, but that was the day for my celebration :)

I was supposed to get contacted by a higher ranking officer there, but when I never heard back I called and found out he retired. Later I got a call from the Assistant District Attorney who basically said she agreed with me on my interpretation of the law, but she said she would stand with the deputies in preventing armed people from entering. On the phone, I told her that the DMV agreed that people could open carry past their signs, and she said she would have liked to see something in writing to that point from the DMV. Perhaps I should have tried to do just that, but at the time I was concerned that if I tried to get something from the DMV in writing that the DMV might try and use the DA's stance on the matter as an excuse to try and restrict guns themselves. But in retrospect, it probably would have been a good idea to try. The DMV is a state agency, so they should care more about the opinion of the Attorney General of Nevada than a county prosecutor.

So basically they don't care what the law says, they won't let people in with guns. That was the last I heard about the matter, anyway.

For a while after the incident I think they were definitely investigating me, squad car at the edge of my street, following me to work, etc. But I guess they forgave me, because they let me be a CCW instructor.

Wow! what an experience! I worked there in 2009 - 2010 or so and haven't been back since, and it just had the "no concealed carry" sign on the door citing NRS. I was surprised to see that they remodeled and added that sign. I got a bad vibe working there pretty quickly seeing as the sheriff himself didn't even show up to my class's graduation ceremony (even though he was in town and working.) We got unofficially sworn in by a lieutenant, and then had to fit ourselves into the schedule of the sheriff a couple weeks later... left a bad taste in my mouth and it wasn't hard for me to quit when the bureaucratic stuff got too ridiculous. I could go on about the drama though, I'll just say that if the Undersheriff has Haley's endorsement for Sheriff in the next election, I'll be sure to vote against him.