Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: False impressions conquered again by a fun day of shooting :)

  1. #1
    Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,318

    False impressions conquered again by a fun day of shooting :)

    Tactical Tunes (fxhummel1) teaches a hipster chick to shoot
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiaYkbY1nHA
    Love this video.

    Edit note this is one of several vids
    Last edited by stealthyeliminator; 02-09-2014 at 07:30 PM.
    Advocate freedom please

  2. #2
    Regular Member Rusty Young Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Árida Zona
    Posts
    1,648
    She's a cutie. I may have to steal fxhummel1's idea, in the interest of educating people.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

    “Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

    "When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

  3. #3
    Regular Member HPmatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    1,597
    Sent a link of this to my daughter & roommates in school in VA. I'll see if they want to do some target shooting over their springbreak.
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

  4. #4
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,627
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    Tactical Tunes (fxhummel1) teaches a hipster chick to shoot
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiaYkbY1nHA
    Love this video.

    Edit note this is one of several vids
    He would have done her an immense favor teaching her a good stance in the beginning.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,095
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    He would have done her an immense favor teaching her a good stance in the beginning.
    Only watched a little, but it appears he did. I saw/heard him correct on her stance a couple times. "Remember we talked about that aggressive stance? Push into the gun."

  6. #6
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,627
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    He would have done her an immense favor teaching her a good stance in the beginning.
    Quote Originally Posted by notalawyer View Post
    Only watched a little, but it appears he did. I saw/heard him correct on her stance a couple times. "Remember we talked about that aggressive stance? Push into the gun."
    Both feet together and standing bolt upright or leaning back is not IMHO a good stance. ymmv
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,095
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Both feet together and standing bolt upright or leaning back is not IMHO a good stance. ymmv
    Yes, she lapsed into bad form, but what new shooter (this was her first time out, right?) do not?

  8. #8
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,627
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Both feet together and standing bolt upright or leaning back is not IMHO a good stance. ymmv
    Quote Originally Posted by notalawyer View Post
    Yes, she lapsed into bad form, but what new shooter (this was her first time out, right?) do not?
    Oh I complete understand lapsing into bad form and yes I heard a weak reference correcting that, but I never did see reasonably good, stable form - not at any time.

    The best time to set the correct stance/position is in the beginning. It's easier then, than to correct it later on down the line. You'll note that she was rocked back several times by a light recoil gun.

    I fear that I will be perceived as being uber critical - that is not my desire/goal. I recognize that this was her first time shooting and that the object was to have fun. To that regard, I think the mission was accomplished.


    Two good examples of sold, stable body position.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  9. #9
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,274
    First time? AK? Not the weapon I would use for a first timer.

    To each their own.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    northern wis
    Posts
    3,202
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    First time? AK? Not the weapon I would use for a first timer.

    To each their own.
    .
    .He started with a pistol and work up to the AK

    From what I saw from watching all four of them she had the same bad stance in all four. It is a fairly typical first time shooters stance leaning away from the gun. Just a little bit of instruction on her stance before she fired the first round would have been a big help

    I have found that women can be very excellent shots and learn fast most do not have bad habits to break.

    But we have to give the guy credit for taking a new shooter out even if his instruction wasn't perfect. I am sure she well be in the pro camp now instead of the anti camp.
    Last edited by Firearms Iinstuctor; 02-10-2014 at 09:42 AM.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

    Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

  11. #11
    Regular Member Rusty Young Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Árida Zona
    Posts
    1,648
    Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    .
    .He started with a pistol and work up to the AK

    From what I saw from watching all four of them she had the same bad stance in all four. It is a fairly typical first time shooters stance leaning away from the gun. Just a little bit of instruction on her stance before she fired the first round would have been a big help

    I have found that women can be very excellent shots and learn fast most do not have bad habits to break.

    But we have to give the guy credit for taking a new shooter out even if his instruction wasn't perfect. I am sure she well be in the pro camp now instead of the anti camp.
    That's the most important part. And now that she is more familiarized with firearms, the next few sessions can be to work on fixing that unstable stance she keeps using.
    In some cases she did seem to pivot unnecessarily, but I atribute it mostly to first-time-jitters.
    Even this girl STARTED somewhere:

    You should see how she shoots these days.
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 02-10-2014 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Video, grammar
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

    “Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

    "When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    northern wis
    Posts
    3,202
    Hot brass in the flip flop well get them every time. In the bra is even worse.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

    Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

  13. #13
    Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,318
    Yeah, the stance thing reminded my of the first time I took my wife shooting... Tell her to lean into it and 2 shots later she's leaning back again. lol. At least this girl did not move the butt of the rifle to the center of her chest when he turned around. Thankfully my wife was shooting .22 and not 7.62x39.

    I think that the whole getting rocked by the recoil was partially intentional... It's "cute" as they say

    Edit: More interesting to me, though, is not that another girl has been taught to shoot, but, the fact that this girl's comments have given some interesting insight into the misconceptions and preconceived notions that are perpetrated by the media and antis. She does an excellent job of articulating those misconceptions and how her experience has debunked them, IMO.
    Last edited by stealthyeliminator; 02-12-2014 at 07:08 PM.
    Advocate freedom please

  14. #14
    Regular Member mobiushky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Alaska (ex-Colorado)
    Posts
    840
    Watch the one he posted today. He addresses the stance a lot. In fact, once he gets her to move to a staggered stance, she looks pretty good.

    One thing to remember is she says at the beginning that she was most heavily influenced by TV and movies. Isosceles isn't a commonly depicted stance in movies. It's not cool or tough looking to the average person. Funny thing is as soon as she staggers she adopts the "TV tactical" stance almost without thinking.

    I know a lot of people have been complaining about fxhummel doing this because he's not a "certified trainer" but that shouldn't matter. Some people want to learn but are very nervous about an official classroom thing. This is a great way to get her started. Get her over the nerves and apprehension. She's learning. Then she can take the official classes.

  15. #15
    Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,318
    I don't care much of anything about "official" classes. Who determines which classes are official and which aren't? Who's the ultimate authority on teaching others how to shoot? Who has the authority to regulate it or to classify some classes as official and others not? Nobody. Lacking any "teacher certification" he may very well be more qualified than many with certification. [/minirant]

    I just saw a couple of the videos which you're referring to (such as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hyfu1Afkw7o). I couldn't help but notice the lack of flinching when a malfunction/dummy round was encountered. I'm shocked. This chick is well on her way to being a better shooter than I! I can't help but think that there were way too many malfunctions, though. I'm guessing not a firm enough grip? Notice the huge difference in muzzle flip between her shooting and fxhummel. I think that stuck out to me because I suffer from weak grip issues. But, never the less, he does address the stance issue that was apparent in the first videos.
    Advocate freedom please

  16. #16
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    He would have done her an immense favor teaching her a good stance in the beginning.
    Quote Originally Posted by notalawyer View Post
    Only watched a little, but it appears he did. I saw/heard him correct on her stance a couple times. "Remember we talked about that aggressive stance? Push into the gun."
    I have discovered that by giving a simple yet physics-based demonstration of why exactly a good stance is important (see, this is what a 12 ga. does to a person afraid of the gun, leaning back away from it...) boosts compliance through the roof.

    After my demo, I've actually had to tell a couple folks I'm training to be less aggressive in stance.

    There is a lot of information to process in a short time period when you're going to the range for the first time, and in such a circumstance showing-not-telling is extremely important.
    Last edited by marshaul; 02-16-2014 at 03:46 PM.

  17. #17
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487
    Quote Originally Posted by mobiushky View Post
    I know a lot of people have been complaining about fxhummel doing this because he's not a "certified trainer" but that shouldn't matter.
    The day a "certified trainer" shows up at range day with me and the friends, and offers his services for free, is the day I don't teach newbies the basics.

  18. #18
    Regular Member mobiushky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Alaska (ex-Colorado)
    Posts
    840
    Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    The day a "certified trainer" shows up at range day with me and the friends, and offers his services for free, is the day I don't teach newbies the basics.
    I am happy to take anyone who asks to the range and walk them through all they want to hear. There are some courses I feel are beneficial to shooters if they choose, but I'm not one to tell people they have to take X class. I've taken several families to the range and walked them and their kids through the basics of shooting and safety. Always a fun time.

    I think what fxhummel is doing is great.

  19. #19
    Regular Member Kopis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    727
    Hey, at least he is taking her shooting! I think the best time you can spend with an anti gun person is to take them to the range, give them instruction and show them how firearms can be used safely and effectively against those who choose to ignore/break laws and wish to cause you harm.

  20. #20
    Regular Member CDT COX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Oh I complete understand lapsing into bad form and yes I heard a weak reference correcting that, but I never did see reasonably good, stable form - not at any time.

    The best time to set the correct stance/position is in the beginning. It's easier then, than to correct it later on down the line. You'll note that she was rocked back several times by a light recoil gun.

    I fear that I will be perceived as being uber critical - that is not my desire/goal. I recognize that this was her first time shooting and that the object was to have fun. To that regard, I think the mission was accomplished.


    Two good examples of sold, stable body position.

    yeah great stance lol

    All that effort to look cool with their plate carriers and they aren't even facing their protection at the threat.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,095
    Quote Originally Posted by CDT COX View Post
    yeah great stance lol

    All that effort to look cool with their plate carriers and they aren't even facing their protection at the threat.
    I was going to paste the same thing, but was distracted.

    Yep, great stance for a photo op.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •