• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hello i'm new new here with something a tad curious to say

Vagrant

I have been in this forum constantly for the past 3 weeks just reading stories, learning opinions, and understanding the mindset of people who daily OC. Personally i do not own any guns yet (Sadly, 25 year old Triple Majoring Poor College Student) but i expect in the next month or two I will be buying one of my own. My mind has recently been awash as I have watched The Largest Gang in America and alot of Open Carry youtube videos, and i've just felt some sort of way about it.

In my mind as far as I know it I am glad for Open Carriers as quite a few people get to feel something that they may not have been unhappily "privy" to, and that is being discriminated against, which is effectively what OC reports really boil down to. I've seen so many videos of it, and they usually churn my stomach, just because its so easy for someone who doesnt know you to disrespect you and try to put his hands on you with you effectively being helpless in the situation.

I've come from three different countries so I guess it might give me maybe a little different perspective of how things are in different locations. But for now honestly for quite some time I have not felt safe, its only been recently (maybe the past 9-12 months) that I have felt like I expect more of myself, and would never want an unfortunate situation to happen in my presence and I am just at the whims of someone else.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
A hearty welcome to OCDO Vagrant. We are just common folks here from all walks of life that happen to take personal responsibility for our own safety and that of our loved ones. We educate, lobby, and otherwise oppose those that would take away our RKBA.

Take the opportunity to get to attend one of the local meet n' greets - see the Events sub-forum at the top of the NC section. Face time is worth 10 times the impersonal contact here. Also look for the NC flyer which will contain a synopsis of the NC laws - knowing the laws and where, when, & how you can carry is paramount. Trust the good advice you will get, but always verify/confirm.

Congrats on getting a solid academic education - a triple major is outstanding.

Last edited:

Vagrant

A hearty welcome to OCDO Vagrant. We are just common folks here from all walks of life that happen to take personal responsibility for our own safety and that of our loved ones. We educate, lobby, and otherwise oppose those that would take away our RKBA.

Take the opportunity to get to attend one of the local meet n' greets - see the Events sub-forum at the top of the NC section. Face time is worth 10 times the impersonal contact here. Also look for the NC flyer which will contain a synopsis of the NC laws - knowing the laws and where, when, & how you can carry is paramount. Trust the good advice you will get, but always verify/confirm.

Thanks for the warm welcome :)

Kopis

Welcome. If youre looking for your first firearm, i would encourage you to go to a range. They will often let you "try on" some pistols to see what seems to fit your grip well. You can then rent a few of the ones that seem to fit you well and see what you like best.

With regard to the OC videos, they do seem to show the worst of it. I have been OCing for about six months or so i believe. It definitely felt uncomfortable at first but if you dress well and have a decent looking holster, no one even seems to notice. Ive never had an LEO ask me for my permit. I was stopped by LEOs while driving an inordinate amount of times last year and only one cared that i had a firearm. The others were like.. so? Having an HCP/CCW permit shows you are the best in our society from my point of view. You dont have any felony convictions, DWIs, drug charges, domestic charges etc. You have to be quite clean to get a permit. i think it actually puts a lot of LEOs at ease (im not an LEO tho and cant say for sure) and it gives me a great talking point with the LEO (besides my speeding!).

There are times where i dont think it is appropriate and therefore CC. Only you can decide what works best for you but i do encourage you to try it at least 3x if it is legal in your state.

Horsegal984

Also just wanted to stop in and say hello and welcome! I'm still relitively new to OC compared to some of these guys and I have found this forum to be a wealth of information, as well as meeting some cool people.

Good luck on your upcoming purchase!

Horsegal984

Ive never had an LEO ask me for my permit. I was stopped by LEOs while driving an inordinate amount of times last year and only one cared that i had a firearm. The others were like.. so? Having an HCP/CCW permit shows you are the best in our society from my point of view.

I'm going to assume you're from out of state and dropped by to welcome the OP.

OP- NC does not require nor even have a carry permit unless you want to carry concealed. For the purpose of open carry you do not even have to provide ID (unless you are actually being detained). Simply OCing is not RAS for an officer to detain you and you have no obligation to interact with them anymore than you choose to.

On that note, I would rccomend some sort of audio recording device easily accessable at all times when you OC just to CYA in the event of an officer overstepping his bounds.

solus

wait grapeshot are you calling me 'common'...where's the moderator when i need them to splite thee from the forum for insults...:shocker:

welcome, as grapeshot our quiet and reserve moderator has already volunteered we are humble folk who enjoy open carrying...

you will find a wealth of information...just use your critical thinking skills to wade through the material to make up your own mind up.
ipse...

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I've come from three different countries so I guess it might give me maybe a little different perspective of how things are in different locations. But for now honestly for quite some time I have not felt safe, its only been recently (maybe the past 9-12 months) that I have felt like I expect more of myself, and would never want an unfortunate situation to happen in my presence and I am just at the whims of someone else.

Many of us have had a similar "awakening". I recall the specific day I became aware that I needed to be responsible for my own defense, as nobody else could.

I pretend I respect those who've never had this realization, but the truth is I do not.

papa bear

I'd like to say welcome to both VAGRANT and HORSEGAL. you have come to the right place.

as a fellow NC i have been carrying for 30 years.

we have a few meet and greets in the triad and triangle area. HORSEGAL i think we have a few in your area also. i know i have been to a couple. hope to see y'all at one of these

if you haven't already, check out GRNC, this is a grass roots organization. supossedly for the preservation of RTKB arms in NC.

WalkingWolf

I'm going to assume you're from out of state and dropped by to welcome the OP.

OP- NC does not require nor even have a carry permit unless you want to carry concealed. For the purpose of open carry you do not even have to provide ID (unless you are actually being detained). Simply OCing is not RAS for an officer to detain you and you have no obligation to interact with them anymore than you choose to.

On that note, I would rccomend some sort of audio recording device easily accessable at all times when you OC just to CYA in the event of an officer overstepping his bounds.

Thank you, you saved me some keystrokes.

To the OP, welcome to OCDO!

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States

+100

What HE said! :D

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
... My mind has recently been awash as I have watched The Largest Gang in America and alot of Open Carry youtube videos, and i've just felt some sort of way about it...

Welcome aboard!

Also remember that the vast majority of us have never made a YouTube video, nor have need to...

Vagrant

Welcome aboard!

Also remember that the vast majority of us have never made a YouTube video, nor have need to...

True I am sure many people might not have to make a youtube video, but honestly if you ever get profiled by a police officer you will feel very differently about the advantages of how open and heavy youtube can impact a police station.