• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Long forgotten pot bust, bureacratic screwup, agents to seize California man's guns

OC for ME

Michael Merritt had all but forgotten about the pot bust way back in 1970 when state agents came knocking on the door of his Bakersfield, Calif. home.

The agents, from the state’s Department of Justice, started peppering the 61-year-old avid hunter with questions about the guns he owns. Then they told him to hand them over.

“My wife got mad and told them to get out of the house and to not come back without a warrant,” he recalled. “That’s when they got a little angry. They said to her, ‘we’ll come back with a warrant, but he will likely be arrested when we do.”

“They didn’t even do it the right way,” he said. “They violated my Fourth Amendment rights. The whole thing was upsetting. I was told that I was unable to protect my family. To go hunting, which is something I cherish. I don’t even think I would have been able to vote with the felony charge."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/02/0...agents-to-seize-california/?intcmp=latestnews
It is advised that Mr. Merritt seek a legal recourse. Though, he did "cooperate." So, a legal recourse will be virtually impossible to achieve.

I think I love his wife.

Fallschirjmäger

Is the new legal definition of "cooperate" not actively resisting when men with guns come a-knocking on your door and making demands?

I have no doubt that this will be explained away as a simple matter of 'more training being required' as 'no one was harmed' by the actions of the state.

Last edited:

onus

The police force consent by threatening arrest and they always get away with it.

I film it almost every single day.

davidmcbeth

Banned
The police force consent by threatening arrest and they always get away with it.

I film it almost every single day.

LOL ... when they threaten me .. I just say "hey, if you could have arrested me you would have!" (then slam the door in their face if possible)

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/20...onfiscation-program-hits-firearm-owners-hard/

As part of its ongoing efforts to defend gun owners from malicious and improper prosecutions, The Calguns Foundation operates a Help Hotline for firearms related legal issues. Should you be the target of the DOJ’s APPS gun confiscation efforts or any other firearms-related law enforcement encounter, detainment, or arrest while in California, the Foundation suggests the following:

● Never consent to a search

● Exercise your right to remain silent

● Contact CGF’s Help Hotline through the online form at www.calgunsfoundation.org/hotline or call (800) 556-2109, open 24/7/365

● If you need immediate legal assistance, please contact an attorney (some firearms attorneys are listed on the CGF Help Hotline web page)

Visit www.calgunsfoundation.org/hotline for more information about The Calguns Foundation’s Help Hotline and to submit requests for assistance on urgent firearms-related legal matters.

https://www.firearmspolicy.org/act/california/fix-apps/

MKEgal

I see that CA considers someone to be a user of illegal drugs if they've been convicted of it even 40 years ago.
I wonder if the guy will be facing federal charges for lying on the 4473 form, or if this will lead to an adjudication of of a time period beyond which someone is no longer an unlawful user, so not banned from possessing firearms or ammo.

Lawful Aim

LOL ... when they threaten me .. I just say "hey, if you could have arrested me you would have!" (then slam the door in their face if possible)
DO NOT OPEN THE DOOR FOR THEM! EVER! Not for ANY excuse, reason, argument, trick or deception. Watch out for them to claim that there was an accident or damage done to a car, etc. and that they want you to confirm the property belongs to you. Watch out for them to send some such as a utility worker or someone who appears to be a utility worker or delivery driver in attempt to get you to open your door. Do not go outside to talk to them thinking that you will just lock the door behind you. Do not carry on a conversation with them through the door. If you feel you must say something, keep it simple such as, "You are trespassing, please leave the property." They may test you if you begin speaking to them through the door and you may have to repeat yourself at least three times.

sudden valley gunner

DO NOT OPEN THE DOOR FOR THEM! EVER! Not for ANY excuse, reason, argument, trick or deception. Watch out for them to claim that there was an accident or damage done to a car, etc. and that they want you to confirm the property belongs to you. Watch out for them to send some such as a utility worker or someone who appears to be a utility worker or delivery driver in attempt to get you to open your door. Do not go outside to talk to them thinking that you will just lock the door behind you. Do not carry on a conversation with them through the door. If you feel you must say something, keep it simple such as, "You are trespassing, please leave the property." They may test you if you begin speaking to them through the door and you may have to repeat yourself at least three times.

+1

onus

before you ever talk to police you should have an video and audio recorder running.

in todays day and age everyone has a cell phone so there is no excuse to not have it running BEFORE you start talking to police.

make sure to use a live streaming app too, I use Bambuser