Thread: Cased pistol with loaded mags in case?

Cased pistol with loaded mags in case?

My friend has an TN permit and often carries a pelican case with a pistol or two and half a dozen loaded mags in it. Does anyone know if this is legal in Tn and can support with the state statute? He is from MA and is worried he may get in trouble here

Quote Originally Posted by Kopis View Post
    My friend has an TN permit and often carries a pelican case with a pistol or two and half a dozen loaded mags in it. Does anyone know if this is legal in Tn and can support with the state statute? He is from MA and is worried he may get in trouble here
    His TN carry permit is a defense to the charge of 1307. Unless an argument is made that the extra magazines are in constructive possession of another person in the vehicle without a carry permit, I'm not aware of any prohibition on a permit holder having multiple loaded magazines.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer. None of the above information is, or should be construed as, legal advice. I accept no liability for any actions that any person may or may not take based on this information. For legal advice, consult an attorney licensed to practice law in your jurisdiction.
    "Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty."
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

There is nothing in Tennessee law that imposes limitations on what a carry permit holder can have in his/her possession. If you can place/carry 100 loaded handguns or magazines on your person, you can do so under Tennessee law with a carry permit (issued by any state).

So your question seems to be whether or not he can carry multiple handguns and whether he can carry extra mags. Did I get that right?

If so, then the problem with giving you a cite is that none exists. Which is a good thing, actually. 1351 is a defense to 1307 but there are no restrictions listed on how many guns or mags you can carry.

So the reason he can carry an extra gun and mags is because of the absence of a law, rather than the existence of one.

Make sense?

Sent from an app instead of a browser simply because browsers on mobile devices are incapable of basic usability by design so that people can sell apps.
    Last edited by independence; 02-07-2014 at 11:59 AM.
    Open means open...