• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cased pistol with loaded mags in case?

Kopis

My friend has an TN permit and often carries a pelican case with a pistol or two and half a dozen loaded mags in it. Does anyone know if this is legal in Tn and can support with the state statute? He is from MA and is worried he may get in trouble here

Nascar24Glock

My friend has an TN permit and often carries a pelican case with a pistol or two and half a dozen loaded mags in it. Does anyone know if this is legal in Tn and can support with the state statute? He is from MA and is worried he may get in trouble here

His TN carry permit is a defense to the charge of 1307. Unless an argument is made that the extra magazines are in constructive possession of another person in the vehicle without a carry permit, I'm not aware of any prohibition on a permit holder having multiple loaded magazines.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer. None of the above information is, or should be construed as, legal advice. I accept no liability for any actions that any person may or may not take based on this information. For legal advice, consult an attorney licensed to practice law in your jurisdiction.

WCrawford

There is nothing in Tennessee law that imposes limitations on what a carry permit holder can have in his/her possession. If you can place/carry 100 loaded handguns or magazines on your person, you can do so under Tennessee law with a carry permit (issued by any state).

independence

So your question seems to be whether or not he can carry multiple handguns and whether he can carry extra mags. Did I get that right?

If so, then the problem with giving you a cite is that none exists. Which is a good thing, actually. 1351 is a defense to 1307 but there are no restrictions listed on how many guns or mags you can carry.

So the reason he can carry an extra gun and mags is because of the absence of a law, rather than the existence of one.

Make sense?

Sent from an app instead of a browser simply because browsers on mobile devices are incapable of basic usability by design so that people can sell apps.

Last edited: