• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Noob Here. Questions on OC regarding residency.

paskeeter

Hello All,

Im originally from PA but was posted to Ft Bragg about 6 years ago and stayed here when I left the Army. I kept my PA residency so I am not a NC resident. My question is am I legal to OC?

I have read many of the laws pertaining to OC in NC but never found anything pertaining to this. I had a CCW permit from PA but unfortunately it expired.

I have been OC lately while walking my dog at night due to strays and some recent criminal activity but because I couldn't find it anywhere online I thought I would ask here.

Thanks

solus

welcome to the forum and hope you enjoy your OC'g in the best spot in the nation to OC...

primer for you to 'browse over' please take a look at section IIID in which the NC AG's staff discusses a lack of consensus of specific statute guidance for carrying firearms within vehicles.

speaking of vehicles, remember to put your firearm in plain and open sight as if you buckle up w/your firearm on it could be considered concealed. there are some who recommend carrying a lockable box to put your firearm in if stopped by LE.

enjoy the reading and welcome...

ipse

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Welcome to OCDO paskeeter.

There is no requirement to be a resident nor have a permit to OC in NC. There are a few circumstances where OC or any carry is limited however.
A handy reference guide is the "North Caolina Flyer" which has been updated.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?101135-North-Carolina-Flyer-March-22-2012

I think that being non-military now, maintain a home and are employed in NC, you are considered a resident. Might want to look into that as it will impact many other things. As examples: Driving license, vehicle registration.

"Upon moving to North Carolina from another state, you must register your motor vehicle at the expiration of the time granted by the reciprocity agreement between North Carolina and your prior state of residence (usually 30 days) or when gainful employment is accepted, whichever occurs first. You should obtain a North Carolina driver license prior to registering a vehicle."
http://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/moving/

paskeeter

Thanks guys, good reading. I tried to follow a link to the pamphlet earlier but it must have been a dead link. The pamphlet is great, answered questions and I plan on printing it and carrying a copy in my wallet with me.

This is all very comforting as now I know myself or my wife can OP when walking around the neighborhood. Up until a couple months ago I never felt the need for anything other then stray dogs which have always been a problem here. Unfortunately there have been multiple vehicle break ins as well as a B&E very close to home recently.

So again thanks for the welcome and info.

heckle

I think that being non-military now, maintain a home and are employed in NC, you are considered a resident. Might want to look into that as it will impact many other things. As examples: Driving license, vehicle registration.
That is correct. The basics are like this: If you are no longer in the military (your home of record when you joined was PA I assume) and you "own property" in NC (or any other state in which you live) such as a house (paid for or paying a mortgage), car/vehicle that is registered in NC, etc then you are now a resident of NC. Things may be different if your spouse is active duty military though.

I did 15 years in the Army and went back to CT when I got out.