• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

We must bans sodas - 5 yr old girl dies from drinking some - murder charge

OC for ME

I agree. What is the lowest chargeable offense in TN when a citizen dies at the hands of another? Even that would be a stretch.

Slippery slope.

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
A MURDER charge? lol Its not even manslaughter.

I disagree. Left to his/her own devices, a sane person will not drink enough of any "normal" liquid (an obvious exception being alcohol because it impairs judgment) to cause injury. If a person is compelled to drink too much of anything, including water, over too short a period of time it may kill them. If you are the one who compelled the drinking, then you murdered that person. This is not a case where a kid voluntarily drank a lot of soda and got fat. She was forced to drink the soda as punishment. The fact that they called it a punishment proves they knew it could be dangerous or at the very least quite uncomfortable. They killed her. They should burn.

Running Wolf

Campaign Veteran
The girl was forced to drink the soda. It's certainly manslaughter, no matter how loud DM laughs at this. Obviously the soda was not at fault, which was the point in the OP. It's also pretty obvious the girl was not at fault either. What should be outlawed is cruel and unusual punishment . . . oh yeah, it already is. Guess that explains the criminal charges.

Doh!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
a girl should not fie(sic) from drinking 3 qts of liquid ... usually takes 2 gallons ... not anything criminal
I'm sure that there is a relationship to quantity ingested over time versus body weight presuming an otherwise healthy individual, but found no cite.

Negligent homicide doesn't seem like an unreasonable application..

Logan 5

I'm trying to figure out how drinking that much soda can cause such an injury....

Logan 5

Dehydration could cause that, yes. At the same time I have difficulty understanding it. More so I have a hard time how any parent can do something this gross and heinous to their child.

Logan 5

Eeets for zee cheeldruun, mein fuhrer! Ziggety ziggety HII...EL! :banana:

davidmcbeth

Banned

davidmcbeth

Banned
Yesterday my neighborhood science-discussion forum met. One of our two (K - 12) school teachers of "science" joined us for the first time. He mentioned that "the immune system shuts down for about an hour after intake of sugar," in the context of cancer immunotherapy and Cherenkoscopy during external radiation therapy.

The previous time that I paid attention to him in public, some years ago, he instructed that Sucralose (Splenda) is toxic for the chlorination of sugar, substitution of hydroxy OH groups with chlorine. Ten-ish years ago he achieved national notoriety for beheading a chicken during class instruction.

9 milligrams per day per kilogram..Many of the studies were designed to identify possible toxic effects, including carcinogenic, reproductive, and neurological effects. No such effects were found, and FDA's approval

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sucralose ^^

Splenda (sucralose) is being downgraded from "safe" to "caution" after an Italian animal study linked sucralose to a higher risk of developing leukemia
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/262475.php ^^

Why is Splenda popular? Because its one sugar sub that can be used in baking.

Logan 5

I saw a guy do that once. Many years ago. He beheaded a chicken and put a sign on it calling it Ayyatolah Khomenie (sp?).
No one really cared, though a few people offered him a couple bucks for the chicken once it bled out....

mdak06

I'm trying to figure out how drinking that much soda can cause such an injury....
According to this article from Scientific American:

Every hour, a healthy kidney at rest can excrete 800 to 1,000 milliliters, or 0.21 to 0.26 gallon, of water and therefore a person can drink water at a rate of 800 to 1,000 milliliters per hour without experiencing a net gain in water, Verbalis [chairman of medicine at GWUMC] explains. If that same person is running a marathon, however, the stress of the situation will increase vasopressin levels, reducing the kidney's excretion capacity to as low as 100 milliliters per hour.

I assume that Mr. Verbalis was referring to an adult with those figures. I am not sure what they are for a child, but I'm pretty sure that a 5-year old cannot process as much fluid per hour as an adult. If she was forced to drink 2400 mL over a 1-2 hour period, that's way too much.

Water in the body is regulated by sodium. Drinking water has virtually no sodium; soda has some sodium but not as much as is in the bloodstream. When you overload someone's body with fluid that has less sodium than that in the bloodstream, water is going to seep out of the bloodstream into nearby tissues. When this happens in the brain, you can get swelling, followed by herniation and death (which is what happened here).

A criminal-negligence manslaughter charge, at a minimum, is appropriate. This was a horrible, inexcusable action by the parents that directly caused the child's death.

509rifas

Causing the death of another is homicide. Murder requires intent to kill or in some statutes reckless disregard for life.
It'll come out in the trial the details, but unless they can prove the malice aforethought thing, it looks like a manslaughter to me.
Dick move either way. How is making a kid drink a lot of pop a punishment unless you're doing something effed-up like making them hold their piss or something like that?

Freedom1Man

Causing the death of another is homicide. Murder requires intent to kill or in some statutes reckless disregard for life.
It'll come out in the trial the details, but unless they can prove the malice aforethought thing, it looks like a manslaughter to me.
Dick move either way. How is making a kid drink a lot of pop a punishment unless you're doing something effed-up like making them hold their piss or something like that?

I've heard about parents doing stupid things like that. A child asks for a soda while visiting a friend's home. The child's parent is a nut case and decides to punish the child for asking for/drinking a soda at a friend's home, by forcing that child to drink a case of soda while yelling and screaming at them.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I've heard about parents doing stupid things like that. A child asks for a soda while visiting a friend's home. The child's parent is a nut case and decides to punish the child for asking for/drinking a soda at a friend's home, by forcing that child to drink a case of soda while yelling and screaming at them.

Like smoke? Here, smoke this whole carton! I heard it was 2L .... who would think 2L would cause death? No one.