Thread: Wal-Mart again! Study shows drop in crime rates are less where Wal-Mart builds.

Wal-Mart again! Study shows drop in crime rates are less where Wal-Mart builds.

"Communities across the United States experienced an unprecedented decline in crime in the 1990s. But for counties where Wal-Mart built stores, the decline wasn't nearly as dramatic. "The crime decline was stunted in counties where Wal-Mart expanded in the 1990s," says Scott Wolfe, assistant professor of criminology and criminal justice at the University of South Carolina and lead author of a new study. "If the corporation built a new store, there were 17 additional property crimes and 2 additional violent crimes for every 10,000 persons in a county."

The study, titled "Rolling back prices and raising crime rates? The Wal-Mart effect on crime in the United States," released last month in the British Journal of Criminology, was co-authored with David Pyrooz, assistant professor of criminal justice and criminology at Sam Houston State University. Wolfe says the commonly known "Wal-Mart effect" is the company's overwhelming influence on numerous economic and social factors in communities, including jobs, poverty rates and retail prices.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-ssd020714.php

Paywalled at http://bjc.oxfordjournals.org/content/54/2/199.abstract
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

False attribution.

Wal-Mart happens to build in the same lower-income communities that for other reasons are also likely to have more crime (or less drop in crime).
    Last edited by MAC702; 02-07-2014 at 04:24 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

wait, so walmart builds a store in a city and the crime rate DROPS but not as much as other areas and these communiests are blaming walmart ?

Well, I guess stuff is so cheap at Walmart people don't see the need to steal, plus how much government money is spent at Walmart though the welfare program. So they are really stealing from the tax payer, so doesn't crime go up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shoot low boys, their ridin' shetland ponies"

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McLintock View Post
    Well, I guess stuff is so cheap at Walmart people don't see the need to steal, plus how much government money is spent at Walmart though the welfare program. So they are really stealing from the tax payer, so doesn't crime go up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oh, how I wish that were true. Ultimately though, I think, for most of "those" people, it really has nothing to do with what they're capable of or how much they can afford, it's more about a mindset of entitlement and laziness. Perhaps they think that they should be royalty, and they've been disenfranchised of their thrown by the rich. They should be at the top, and they've been pushed to the bottom. With bitterness in their hearts, they'll do whatever it takes to get back to where they belong, even lie, steal, cheat and kill.
    Advocate freedom please

Correlation=/=Causation

I would need to see more about it all, but given that Wal-Mart is a lower-end store it would make sense that they would be built in places that are already at risk of crime. At most, I can see a "causal" being that in counties where Wal-Mart is built, already being an at-risk place, that more people now have more items. And since there's more items in an at-risk place for crime, that crime went up. As such, Wal-Mart would only be the cause of such crime because they are supplying the items, but really "Wal-Mart" could be substituted for any store that supplies items at such cheap prices to those in at-risk areas.

Not to mention that this line of thinking seems to absolve the criminals and puts the blame for the crime on the store.