Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: Iraq War Veteran Kicked Out of Pick-N-Save For Open Carry

  1. #1
    Opt-Out Members scm54449's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Marshfield, WI
    Posts
    221

    Iraq War Veteran Kicked Out of Pick-N-Save For Open Carry

    The title pretty much says it all. The incident occurred in Weston. Here is the rest of the story:

    http://www.wausaudailyherald.com/art...firearm-column

    If the first link gives you problems, try this one:

    http://www.wausaudailyherald.com/apps/p ... ck_check=1
    Last edited by scm54449; 02-08-2014 at 03:39 PM.
    Member of Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultus habebunt...

  2. #2
    Regular Member MKEgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    in front of my computer, WI
    Posts
    4,426
    I think this is the right store:
    2806 Schofield Ave.; Schofield, WI; 54476
    715-359-9123

    And here's their corporate contact us page:
    http://www.picknsave.com/Contact/
    Last edited by MKEgal; 02-08-2014 at 03:28 PM.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,095
    Please help us understand why his veteran status has anything to do with the story?

    Simonsmeier said he believes his rights were violated when he was asked to leave a local grocery store because he was openly carrying a gun.
    He's wrong!

    The cold had numbed my arms and severely restricted the movement of my hands and fingers. If I had needed to draw my weapon in the Pick ’N Save parking lot, I would have been unsuccessful.
    He's stupid!

    He then asked me to leave the store.
    I asked him if he wanted to get law enforcement involved; he said that he would not have an issue if law enforcement showed up. I talked with my friend a little, asking her if she needed anything else from the store.
    He's ignorant of the law.

    I think that about covers it: Stupid, ignorant, and wrong!

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Ellsworth Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,213
    Roundy's also own rainbow grocery stores. They carry Roundy's generic products. I have had a similar situation happen to me a while back at our local store in Ellsworth called Nilssen's who owns ones in clear lake, baldwin and Turtle lake. In my case they wouldn't let me come in. I called the owner and he said if I could only CC he would be fine. I don't shop there except to pick up an onoin or garlic on emergency basis.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Sheboygan
    Posts
    72
    I was carrying in the Sheboygan north side Pick N Save with my jacket over my pistol and I went to use the blood pressure machine and I exposed the gun for several minutes. I saw the manager look at me but he never said a word to me.

  6. #6
    Regular Member MKEgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    in front of my computer, WI
    Posts
    4,426
    Quote Originally Posted by notalawyer
    He's wrong!
    He's stupid!
    He's ignorant of the law.
    I think that about covers it: Stupid, ignorant, and wrong!
    Forum rules: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

    (6) NO PERSONAL ATTACKS


    (9) HATE IS NOT WELCOME HERE:
    Any posts attacking others based upon race, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender-identity, or anything other than opposition to gun rights is NOT WELCOME HERE! We reserve the right to impose immediate bans for such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

  7. #7
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,870
    Quote Originally Posted by notalawyer View Post
    Please help us understand why his veteran status has anything to do with the story?
    He's wrong!
    He's stupid!
    He's ignorant of the law.
    I think that about covers it: Stupid, ignorant, and wrong!
    wow, notalawyer, now you have moved over to yet another thread to belittle folk, nice touch!!

    and you stated we on the NC thread initiated and engaged in childish name calling...Really!!

    this should be two specific strikes against you for violating forum protocols..well perhaps three if you count your misrepresentation through misquoting a cite. let's just keep that instance our little secret shall we!!

    and you stated you didn't care if this one individual, me, felt your integrity was zero in my estimation, so you are now proving to the whole membership your how good your integrity truly is...let me know how this works out for you will ya...

    i do sincerely apologize to the WI members for intruding from the tarheel state...

    ipse
    Last edited by solus; 02-11-2014 at 04:53 PM.
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  8. #8
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,870
    and the reason i stopped in the first place...

    sounds like the young man handled the situation appropriately with a minor exception - i might not have put the notion of police into the conversation.

    i'm impressed the manager 'waited outside' also...what a moron...

    ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,095
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    wow, notalawyer, now you have moved over to yet another thread to belittle folk, nice touch!!

    and you stated we on the NC thread initiated and engaged in childish name calling...Really!!

    this should be two specific strikes against you for violating forum protocols..well perhaps three if you count your misrepresentation through misquoting a cite. let's just keep that instance our little secret shall we!!

    and you stated you didn't care if this one individual, me, felt your integrity was zero in my estimation, so you are now proving to the whole membership your how good your integrity truly is...let me know how this works out for you will ya...

    i do sincerely apologize to the WI members for intruding from the tarheel state...

    ipse
    wow, notalawyer, now you have moved over to yet another thread
    So are you stalking me?

    Do you have anything to add to this discussion?

    childish name calling
    As previously stated, if it's the truth it's not name calling.

    let me know how this works out for you will ya...
    Been here for a while. You?

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,095
    Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    Forum rules: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

    (6) NO PERSONAL ATTACKS


    (9) HATE IS NOT WELCOME HERE:
    Any posts attacking others based upon race, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender-identity, or anything other than opposition to gun rights is NOT WELCOME HERE! We reserve the right to impose immediate bans for such behavior.
    Intentional misquoting of forum rules should be a banable offense!
    (6) NO PERSONAL ATTACKS: While you may disagree strongly with another poster based upon their opinion, we will NOT tolerate any personal attacks or general bashing of groups of people based upon race, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender-identity or choice of occupation (e.g., being a law enforcement officer, in the military, etc). NOTE THAT THIS RULE APPLIES TO PMs AS WELL AS FORUM POSTS!!!

    Statements of fact can never be considered attacks!

    The subject of the OP IS wrong about his rights being violated.
    The subject of the OP IS stupid to spend any significant amount of time outdoors in very cold weather without protection.
    The subject of the OP IS ignorant of the trespass law.
    Last edited by notalawyer; 02-11-2014 at 05:57 PM.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    popple butte
    Posts
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    wow, notalawyer, now you have moved over to yet another thread to belittle folk, nice touch!!

    and you stated we on the NC thread initiated and engaged in childish name calling...Really!!

    this should be two specific strikes against you for violating forum protocols..well perhaps three if you count your misrepresentation through misquoting a cite. let's just keep that instance our little secret shall we!!

    and you stated you didn't care if this one individual, me, felt your integrity was zero in my estimation, so you are now proving to the whole membership your how good your integrity truly is...let me know how this works out for you will ya...

    i do sincerely apologize to the WI members for intruding from the tarheel state...

    ipse
    No apology needed. notalawyer is very much correct with his/her analysis of the subject in the posted news article.

  12. #12
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,272
    (5) CITE TO AUTHORITY: If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.
    Citing Forum Rules (laws?) is addressed in the forum rules.

    The fella in the op linked article is, if anything, a dude who needs to join OCDO and educate himself. The first thing he may learn is that we OCers need to have documented proof of any slights we may encounter so as to seek a redress of wrongs if redress is appropriate.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Sheboygan
    Posts
    72

    what is the?

    Does anyone know what the corporate policy is for Roundy's? Do they follow state law or do they forbid carry as a policy.
    At the Pick and Save in Sheboygan there is no posting of any kind that I can see on the door and believe me I look every time I enter the premises. If I was asked to leave I would do so but I would inquire as to the corporate policy after asking for the name of the manager. I would then contact corporate H.Q. and see what was going on.
    Last edited by cheezhed; 02-15-2014 at 11:57 PM.

  14. #14
    Opt-Out Members scm54449's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Marshfield, WI
    Posts
    221
    UPDATE: The author of the original letter was one of three people detained for threatening a man at gunpoint:
    http://www.wausaudailyherald.com/art...nclick_check=1
    Member of Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultus habebunt...

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,153
    Thank you. Very interesting.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    popple butte
    Posts
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by scm54449 View Post
    UPDATE: The author of the original letter was one of three people detained for threatening a man at gunpoint:
    http://www.wausaudailyherald.com/art...nclick_check=1
    Thank you very much. I kinda figured after reading the ridiculous statements made by Derek in his news article he would end up getting spanked. Just did not think it would be this quick. Bye bye to his Wisconsin carry rights and probably more.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,153
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky View Post
    Thank you very much. I kinda figured after reading the ridiculous statements made by Derek in his news article he would end up getting spanked. Just did not think it would be this quick. Bye bye to his Wisconsin carry rights and probably more.
    from the article; "In his Feb. 9 guest column, Simonsmeier, who holds a concealed carry permit, said he was carrying a Remington 1911 “in plain view” on his belt when he was asked to leave Pick ’N Save. His column attracted nationwide attention and drew dozens of comments from readers. The incident will not prompt a suspension of Simonsmeier’s permit unless felony charges are filed or if a judge orders Simonsmeier not to own any firearms."
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    popple butte
    Posts
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    from the article; "In his Feb. 9 guest column, Simonsmeier, who holds a concealed carry permit, said he was carrying a Remington 1911 “in plain view” on his belt when he was asked to leave Pick ’N Save. His column attracted nationwide attention and drew dozens of comments from readers. The incident will not prompt a suspension of Simonsmeier’s permit unless felony charges are filed or if a judge orders Simonsmeier not to own any firearms."
    Very much correct. 2nd page the Schofield Kid's chick friend made a statement to police that he volunteered to help "remove" the roomie and would be carrying guns to help "keep the peace" in case the roomie caused problems. I think that may weigh heavily with da DA.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,153
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky View Post
    Very much correct. [ ... ]. I think that may weigh heavily with da DA.
    If there were to be charges for this individual, as there have already been charges for the others involved, why would you think the DA is delaying? I will be surprised if Simonsmeier is charged, and disappointed.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  20. #20
    Regular Member MKEgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    in front of my computer, WI
    Posts
    4,426
    Quote Originally Posted by cheezhed
    Doe's [sic] anyone know what the corporate policy is for Roundy's?
    Nik of WI Carry has posted an email he received from some honcho (not just a customer service drone) at Roundy's HQ saying that they welcome lawfully-armed customers, do not prohibit open or concealed carry.

    No PnS I've been in has had any "keep out" signs, nor have I had any problem with staff or customers.
    Last edited by MKEgal; 02-17-2014 at 12:30 AM.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    popple butte
    Posts
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    If there were to be charges for this individual, as there have already been charges for the others involved, why would you think the DA is delaying? I will be surprised if Simonsmeier is charged, and disappointed.
    I will be a watchin the dead trees.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,153
    Watching the Wisconsin Circuit Court Access site is more effective, more accurate, lower bandwidth and higher signal to noise ratio.

    http://wcca.wicourts.gov/index.xsl "Case Search Results You searched for: Party Name Simonsmeier, derek Your search returned no results
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  23. #23
    Opt-Out Members scm54449's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Marshfield, WI
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Watching the Wisconsin Circuit Court Access site is more effective, more accurate, lower bandwidth and higher signal to noise ratio.
    http://wcca.wicourts.gov/index.xsl "Case Search Results You searched for: Party Name Simonsmeier, derek Your search returned no results
    In the original letter the author spells his first name, "Dereck". There is a Dereck James Simonsmeier in Marathon County who received one citation for operating a motor vehicle without insurance and another citation for "License Restriction Violation - Class D or M Vehicle".
    Member of Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultus habebunt...

  24. #24
    Founder's Club Member bnhcomputing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,709
    OK, it's been over a year, and google doesn't show me anything more. Anybody know what the outcome of this was/is?

  25. #25
    Regular Member 1FASTC4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Tomahawk
    Posts
    510
    I have to admit... I would have done it diffrerently. January.... I would have waited in the running, and toasty warm, car.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •