• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Iraq War Veteran Kicked Out of Pick-N-Save For Open Carry

notalawyer

Please help us understand why his veteran status has anything to do with the story?

Simonsmeier said he believes his rights were violated when he was asked to leave a local grocery store because he was openly carrying a gun.
He's wrong!

The cold had numbed my arms and severely restricted the movement of my hands and fingers. If I had needed to draw my weapon in the Pick ’N Save parking lot, I would have been unsuccessful.
He's stupid!

He then asked me to leave the store.
I asked him if he wanted to get law enforcement involved; he said that he would not have an issue if law enforcement showed up. I talked with my friend a little, asking her if she needed anything else from the store.
He's ignorant of the law.

I think that about covers it: Stupid, ignorant, and wrong! :cool:

Law abider

Roundy's also own rainbow grocery stores. They carry Roundy's generic products. I have had a similar situation happen to me a while back at our local store in Ellsworth called Nilssen's who owns ones in clear lake, baldwin and Turtle lake. In my case they wouldn't let me come in. I called the owner and he said if I could only CC he would be fine. I don't shop there except to pick up an onoin or garlic on emergency basis.

cheezhed

I was carrying in the Sheboygan north side Pick N Save with my jacket over my pistol and I went to use the blood pressure machine and I exposed the gun for several minutes. I saw the manager look at me but he never said a word to me.

MKEgal

notalawyer said:
He's wrong!
He's stupid!

Forum rules: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

(6) NO PERSONAL ATTACKS

(9) HATE IS NOT WELCOME HERE:
Any posts attacking others based upon race, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender-identity, or anything other than opposition to gun rights is NOT WELCOME HERE! We reserve the right to impose immediate bans for such behavior.

solus

Please help us understand why his veteran status has anything to do with the story?
He's wrong!
He's stupid!

wow, notalawyer, now you have moved over to yet another thread to belittle folk, nice touch!!

and you stated we on the NC thread initiated and engaged in childish name calling...Really!!

this should be two specific strikes against you for violating forum protocols..well perhaps three if you count your misrepresentation through misquoting a cite. let's just keep that instance our little secret shall we!!

and you stated you didn't care if this one individual, me, felt your integrity was zero in my estimation, so you are now proving to the whole membership your how good your integrity truly is...let me know how this works out for you will ya...

i do sincerely apologize to the WI members for intruding from the tarheel state...

ipse

Last edited:

solus

and the reason i stopped in the first place...

sounds like the young man handled the situation appropriately with a minor exception - i might not have put the notion of police into the conversation.

i'm impressed the manager 'waited outside' also...what a moron...

ipse

notalawyer

wow, notalawyer, now you have moved over to yet another thread to belittle folk, nice touch!!

and you stated we on the NC thread initiated and engaged in childish name calling...Really!!

this should be two specific strikes against you for violating forum protocols..well perhaps three if you count your misrepresentation through misquoting a cite. let's just keep that instance our little secret shall we!!

and you stated you didn't care if this one individual, me, felt your integrity was zero in my estimation, so you are now proving to the whole membership your how good your integrity truly is...let me know how this works out for you will ya...

i do sincerely apologize to the WI members for intruding from the tarheel state...

ipse

wow, notalawyer, now you have moved over to yet another thread
So are you stalking me? :eek:

Do you have anything to add to this discussion?

childish name calling
As previously stated, if it's the truth it's not name calling.

let me know how this works out for you will ya...
Been here for a while. You?

notalawyer

Forum rules: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

(6) NO PERSONAL ATTACKS

(9) HATE IS NOT WELCOME HERE:
Any posts attacking others based upon race, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender-identity, or anything other than opposition to gun rights is NOT WELCOME HERE! We reserve the right to impose immediate bans for such behavior.

Intentional misquoting of forum rules should be a banable offense!
(6) NO PERSONAL ATTACKS: While you may disagree strongly with another poster based upon their opinion, we will NOT tolerate any personal attacks or general bashing of groups of people based upon race, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender-identity or choice of occupation (e.g., being a law enforcement officer, in the military, etc). NOTE THAT THIS RULE APPLIES TO PMs AS WELL AS FORUM POSTS!!!

Statements of fact can never be considered attacks!

The subject of the OP IS wrong about his rights being violated.
The subject of the OP IS stupid to spend any significant amount of time outdoors in very cold weather without protection.
The subject of the OP IS ignorant of the trespass law.

Last edited:

Franky

ipse

No apology needed. notalawyer is very much correct with his/her analysis of the subject in the posted news article.

OC for ME

(5) CITE TO AUTHORITY: If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.
Citing Forum Rules (laws?) is addressed in the forum rules.

The fella in the op linked article is, if anything, a dude who needs to join OCDO and educate himself. The first thing he may learn is that we OCers need to have documented proof of any slights we may encounter so as to seek a redress of wrongs if redress is appropriate.

cheezhed

what is the?

Does anyone know what the corporate policy is for Roundy's? Do they follow state law or do they forbid carry as a policy.
At the Pick and Save in Sheboygan there is no posting of any kind that I can see on the door and believe me I look every time I enter the premises. If I was asked to leave I would do so but I would inquire as to the corporate policy after asking for the name of the manager. I would then contact corporate H.Q. and see what was going on.

Last edited:

Franky

Franky

from the article; "In his Feb. 9 guest column, Simonsmeier, who holds a concealed carry permit, said he was carrying a Remington 1911 “in plain view” on his belt when he was asked to leave Pick ’N Save. His column attracted nationwide attention and drew dozens of comments from readers. The incident will not prompt a suspension of Simonsmeier’s permit unless felony charges are filed or if a judge orders Simonsmeier not to own any firearms."

Very much correct. 2nd page the Schofield Kid's chick friend made a statement to police that he volunteered to help "remove" the roomie and would be carrying guns to help "keep the peace" in case the roomie caused problems. I think that may weigh heavily with da DA.

MKEgal

cheezhed said:
Doe's [sic] anyone know what the corporate policy is for Roundy's?
Nik of WI Carry has posted an email he received from some honcho (not just a customer service drone) at Roundy's HQ saying that they welcome lawfully-armed customers, do not prohibit open or concealed carry.

No PnS I've been in has had any "keep out" signs, nor have I had any problem with staff or customers.

Last edited:

Franky

If there were to be charges for this individual, as there have already been charges for the others involved, why would you think the DA is delaying? I will be surprised if Simonsmeier is charged, and disappointed.

I will be a watchin the dead trees.:)

scm54449

Opt-Out Members
Watching the Wisconsin Circuit Court Access site is more effective, more accurate, lower bandwidth and higher signal to noise ratio.
http://wcca.wicourts.gov/index.xsl "Case Search Results You searched for: Party Name Simonsmeier, derek Your search returned no results

In the original letter the author spells his first name, "Dereck". There is a Dereck James Simonsmeier in Marathon County who received one citation for operating a motor vehicle without insurance and another citation for "License Restriction Violation - Class D or M Vehicle".