Thread: U.S. Army vet faces Canadian prison time over gun mistake at border

U.S. Army vet faces Canadian prison time over gun mistake at border

Louis DiNatale says he forgot the gun was inside his wife’s car that he was driving on a weekend getaway to Vancouver when his GPS gave him faulty directions, landing him at the Canadian border, Fox News reported. When a border agent asked him when the last time he had a weapon on him, Mr. DiNatale responded “earlier that week,” The Los Angeles Times reported. The border agent searched his wife’s car and found a .380 handgun.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...e-over-gun-mi/

https://news.google.com/news?ned=us&...nG=Search+News

https://news.google.com/news/rtc?ncl...syzZr3LI7Jj0UM
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Banned
    Answering questions can get you obstruction charges ... going to a boarder? No rights there .. searched car, found gun; gun not allowed in our 51st state...not 2nd amendment issue .. natural right issue but our 51st state infringes on that one.

A U.S. Army vet is facing three years in prison in Canada after mistakenly bringing a gun to the border.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...#ixzz2slesy1c4
    Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

This happened outside the USA ...should have made a run for the US boarder..

I doubt he'll serve much time in prison.....

he'll probably plead out to some charge, forfeit his wife's gun to the smelter, be barred from entering the true north for... about forever, and be home poorer and smarter. oh and I'm sure a canadian attorney will appreciate the work.

and a canadian conviction cannot result in loss of his gun rights. so....
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    [ ... ]and a canadian conviction cannot result in loss of his gun rights. so....
    18 USC 922 says "any court," not merely US courts.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Kangaroo court?

I think one would default to a US court without further clarification, but I am not an expert here.

Surely there are lots of courts in other countries whose judgments we would not hold valid here.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Kangaroo court? I think one would default to a US court without further clarification, but I am not an expert here. Surely there are lots of courts in other countries whose judgments we would not hold valid here.
    See Chief Justice Rehnquist critical comment in Daryl Renard Atkins, Petitioner v. Virginia, 536 U.S. 304, citing an amicus brief from the European Union, denouncing the "Court's decision to place weight on foreign laws."

322 I write separately, however, to call attention to the defects in the Court’s decision to place weight on foreign laws, the views of professional and religious organizations, and opinion polls in reaching its conclusion.
    http://supreme.justia.com/cases/fede...6/304/case.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    United States v. Small

Petitioner Small was convicted in a Japanese Court of trying to smuggle firearms and ammunition into that country. He served five years in prison and then returned to the United States, where he bought a gun. Federal authorities subsequently charged Small under 18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(1), which forbids “any person … convicted in any court … of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year … to … possess … any firearm.” (Emphasis added.) Small pleaded guilty while reserving the right to challenge his conviction on the ground that his earlier conviction, being foreign, fell outside §922(g)(1)’s scope. The Federal District Court and the Third Circuit rejected this argument.

Held: Section 922(g)(1)’s phrase “convicted in any court” encompasses only domestic, not foreign, convictions. Pp. 2—9.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    It happens here more than people think.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Boycott Canada.

Who really forgets that they have a .380 in the glove box?? I would think being a responsible gun owner would include at least knowing where the hell all of your guns are. And maybe if people stopped being 100% dependent on that little voice in the car telling you where to go instead of actually planning your route ahead of time and reading the freaking signs, taking a wrong turn into another country would be less likely to happen.

This is on par with the idiots that get caught trying to bring a gun onto a commercial airline and then saying "oh crap I forgot that was in there...duhhhh".

You can stick your middle finger up at Canada all you want, but it's their country and their laws. Can't deal with it...don't go.

Well,,,

Sooo this fool was Planning to go to VANCOUVER!!!
    BUT,,, he couldnt tell the difference between going south to a place near Oregon,,, or
    going north to a place in a FOREIGN efing Country!!!

I think he is a liar!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Quote Originally Posted by cjasper View Post
    <snip> Can't deal with it...don't go.
    What do you think the term "boycott Canada" means?

boy·cott - transitive verb \ˈbȯi-ˌkät\ - :to refuse to buy, use, or participate in (something) as a way of protesting : to stop using the goods or services of (a company, country, etc.) until changes are made

Full Definition of BOYCOTT - :to engage in a concerted refusal to have dealings with (as a person, store, or organization) usually to express disapproval or to force acceptance of certain conditions

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    It happens more than people think. The Border to newbies up here can be confusing and if you get off on the wrong side you are crossing it even if by mistake.

Had a friend threatened with prison time, because he forgot about an empty magazine in his glove box.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cjasper View Post
    Who really forgets that they have a .380 in the glove box?? I would think being a responsible gun owner would include at least knowing where the hell all of your guns are. And maybe if people stopped being 100% dependent on that little voice in the car telling you where to go instead of actually planning your route ahead of time and reading the freaking signs, taking a wrong turn into another country would be less likely to happen.

This is on par with the idiots that get caught trying to bring a gun onto a commercial airline and then saying "oh crap I forgot that was in there...duhhhh".

You can stick your middle finger up at Canada all you want, but it's their country and their laws. Can't deal with it...don't go.
    You lost me at "responsible gun owner" ....

I've crossed the 51st state's boarder hundreds of times with my gun ... no issues.