Thread: Iwb

Iwb

I have been CCing for 10 years now and now considering OCing. Can you OC with a IWB holster? With just the grip showing? I have used IWB holsters almost the entire time. What are your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Ktmden View Post
    I have been CCing for 10 years now and now considering OCing. Can you OC with a IWB holster? With just the grip showing? I have used IWB holsters almost the entire time. What are your thoughts?
    It is debatable. I think there was a case where a person was using an IWB holster and was popped for CCW. if you have a CPL you would be ok unless you went into a pfz OCing in the IWB. I personally think you would be fine, however IANAL and nothing I say should be taken as gospel.
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

Clearly you have a CPL. That being the case, carry the way you want. IWB is the closest to OC a CC can get. I say go for it.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Raggs View Post
    It is debatable. I think there was a case where a person was using an IWB holster and was popped for CCW. if you have a CPL you would be ok unless you went into a pfz OCing in the IWB. I personally think you would be fine, however IANAL and nothing I say should be taken as gospel.
    I agree. Although I recommend OC with an OWB holster that has at least level 2 retention. Much harder for someone to take your gun from you.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Quote Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
    I agree. Although I recommend OC with an OWB holster that has at least level 2 retention. Much harder for someone to take your gun from you.
    Yes... I have my CPL. Thanks for the comments. I am most comfortable IWB but will be looking to testing a OWB holster I have had for a while.
    Last edited by Ktmden; 02-08-2014 at 10:37 PM.

Speaking strictly in terms of legality, I would not hesitate to wear a IWB holster outside the waistband, tucked outside my pants but inside my belt. You would have to have a situation with criminal cops and a judge as well as a blatantly incompetent lawyer and maybe a really stupid jury to get popped for carrying concealed that way.

Speaking in terms of safety, do not carry openly without a retention holster. Some people fancy themselves martial arts experts and opt to carry with a level one holster, and while I would never suggest it, I'm also not here to argue. But in your case, having to ask suggests to me you aren't at that level.

So, my thought is this, if you want to OC, buy a Safariland level 2 or 3, and research and practice weapon retention techniques, as well as making sure you are squared away with conflict communication techniques as well as knowing pre attack indicators, (in addition to the retention shooting techniques I hope you already practice for your CCing needs). OCing generally isn't something which attracts danger, rather it repels it, but once in a great while you can and may encounter a lunatic, so it's best to be ready.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Well clearly, we want people to be safe...the OP has CC'd to our knowledge safely for 10 years. I give him the benefit of doubt that: he understands basic weapon retention techniques & situational awareness. Folks - we want to welcome people from the CC club to ours, not discourage them IMHO. If he reads through the threads he will gain a good basic knowledge of when IWB carry may not be ideal. So WELCOME OP - carry the way you want. If you have questions - ask - the good, yet at times gruff people here will give you there best ideas and practices they know of.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi