• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Iwb

Ktmden

I have been CCing for 10 years now and now considering OCing. Can you OC with a IWB holster? With just the grip showing? I have used IWB holsters almost the entire time. What are your thoughts?

Raggs

I have been CCing for 10 years now and now considering OCing. Can you OC with a IWB holster? With just the grip showing? I have used IWB holsters almost the entire time. What are your thoughts?

It is debatable. I think there was a case where a person was using an IWB holster and was popped for CCW. if you have a CPL you would be ok unless you went into a pfz OCing in the IWB. I personally think you would be fine, however IANAL and nothing I say should be taken as gospel.

FreeInAZ

Clearly you have a CPL. That being the case, carry the way you want. IWB is the closest to OC a CC can get. I say go for it. :)

xmanhockey7

It is debatable. I think there was a case where a person was using an IWB holster and was popped for CCW. if you have a CPL you would be ok unless you went into a pfz OCing in the IWB. I personally think you would be fine, however IANAL and nothing I say should be taken as gospel.

I agree. Although I recommend OC with an OWB holster that has at least level 2 retention. Much harder for someone to take your gun from you.

Ktmden

I agree. Although I recommend OC with an OWB holster that has at least level 2 retention. Much harder for someone to take your gun from you.

Yes... I have my CPL. Thanks for the comments. I am most comfortable IWB but will be looking to testing a OWB holster I have had for a while.

Last edited:

Michigander

Speaking strictly in terms of legality, I would not hesitate to wear a IWB holster outside the waistband, tucked outside my pants but inside my belt. You would have to have a situation with criminal cops and a judge as well as a blatantly incompetent lawyer and maybe a really stupid jury to get popped for carrying concealed that way.

Speaking in terms of safety, do not carry openly without a retention holster. Some people fancy themselves martial arts experts and opt to carry with a level one holster, and while I would never suggest it, I'm also not here to argue. But in your case, having to ask suggests to me you aren't at that level.

So, my thought is this, if you want to OC, buy a Safariland level 2 or 3, and research and practice weapon retention techniques, as well as making sure you are squared away with conflict communication techniques as well as knowing pre attack indicators, (in addition to the retention shooting techniques I hope you already practice for your CCing needs). OCing generally isn't something which attracts danger, rather it repels it, but once in a great while you can and may encounter a lunatic, so it's best to be ready.

FreeInAZ

Well clearly, we want people to be safe...the OP has CC'd to our knowledge safely for 10 years. I give him the benefit of doubt that: he understands basic weapon retention techniques & situational awareness. Folks - we want to welcome people from the CC club to ours, not discourage them IMHO. If he reads through the threads he will gain a good basic knowledge of when IWB carry may not be ideal. So WELCOME OP - carry the way you want. If you have questions - ask - the good, yet at times gruff people here will give you there best ideas and practices they know of. :cool: