Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: CA bill proposes kill-switch on smartphones and tablets [and smart-guns too?]

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,148

    CA bill proposes kill-switch on smartphones and tablets [and smart-guns too?]

    " Politicians and law enforcement officials in California will introduce a bill on Friday that requires all smartphones and tablet PCs sold in the state be equipped with a digital “kill-switch” that would make the devices useless if stolen. The bill is a response to a rise in thefts of portable electronics devices, often at knife or gunpoint, being seen across the state. Already half of all robberies in San Francisco and 75 percent of those in Oakland involve a mobile device and the number is rising in Los Angeles, according to police figures. [my emphasis]"

    http://www.pcworld.com/article/20956...d-tablets.html

    Brings "kill-switch" to a whole new level when applied to a "smart gun." Government agents might be given the secret code to the smartphone smartgun smart-killswitch app on their smartphones. "Holy Smart-app, Batman!"
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  2. #2
    Regular Member DrakeZ07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Lexington, Ky
    Posts
    1,107
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    " Politicians and law enforcement officials in California will introduce a bill on Friday that requires all smartphones and tablet PCs sold in the state be equipped with a digital “kill-switch” that would make the devices useless if stolen. The bill is a response to a rise in thefts of portable electronics devices, often at knife or gunpoint, being seen across the state. Already half of all robberies in San Francisco and 75 percent of those in Oakland involve a mobile device and the number is rising in Los Angeles, according to police figures. [my emphasis]"

    http://www.pcworld.com/article/20956...d-tablets.html

    Brings "kill-switch" to a whole new level when applied to a "smart gun." Government agents might be given the secret code to the smartphone smartgun smart-killswitch app on their smartphones. "Holy Smart-app, Batman!"
    You should probably emphasis the difference between the article and you're own thoughts, because it looked like you was talking about the article involving a kill switch for "smart guns", which it does not mention, at all. Misleading post can be misleading, brah [On par for this forum, though].
    Last edited by DrakeZ07; 02-08-2014 at 05:40 PM.
    I'm a proud openly gay open carrier~
    Trained SKYWARN spotter, and veteran Storm Chaser.
    =^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=
    Beware the Pink Camo clad gay redneck.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    For what purpose? Its not going to get the phone back ...

  4. #4
    Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,318
    Yeah, nothing to do with guns other than the fact that they're being used to perform robberies, which is nothing new.

    Bill is of course a bad idea, for all of the normal reasons. <insert free market principles, etc.>

    Maybe they should pass constitutional carry and let people defend themselves against the robbers instead of telling the people who sell the phones to make a way to render the device 'useless' after the device has completely left their control and responsibility.

    Problem - people getting robbed. Solution - don't stop the robberies, just force manufacturers to make a way to render their products useless once they've been stolen? Wait.. What?
    Last edited by stealthyeliminator; 02-09-2014 at 02:17 AM.
    Advocate freedom please

  5. #5
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pleasant Grove, Utah, USA
    Posts
    3,828
    Biggest problem with the "kill switch if stolen" is once YOUR PHONE HAS BEEN STOLEN HOW ARE YOU TO NOTIFY YOUR CARRIER THAT YOUR PHONE IS NO LONGER IN YOUR POSSESSION!? (Shouting directed towards the ignorant politician (is that most of them in California) who even suggested this stupid idea!)
    Last edited by JoeSparky; 02-09-2014 at 02:46 AM.
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

  6. #6
    Regular Member 1245A Defender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    north mason county, Washington, USA
    Posts
    4,381

    Wowwie!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    Biggest problem with the "kill switch if stolen" is once YOUR PHONE HAS BEEN STOLEN HOW ARE YOU TO NOTIFY YOUR CARRIER THAT YOUR PHONE IS NO LONGER IN YOUR POSSESSION!? (Shouting directed towards the ignorant politician (is that most of them in California) who even suggested this stupid idea!)
    Not Sure If Serious,,,,

    IF your phone is Stolen,,, you wont have it At All!!!
    Borrow another phone to make the call..
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

    “If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

    Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

    All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

  7. #7
    Regular Member Gil223's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Weber County Utah
    Posts
    1,428
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeZ07 View Post
    Oh, hello there Anti-gay personal attack, been a whole 9 hours since I saw one on this forum. Hey, thanks for taking my comment on your lack of separation between article, and opinion, and responding with that lovable hate-speech all you conservatives love to throw around. It really makes me feel f*cking awesome, and welcome, and is really excellent for the un-registered public to see, because nothing attracts the Republican party, and its Conservative allies like knowing anti-gay bashing comments are welcome as a response to any comment made by a gay person.
    You paint with a very broad brush. Can you explain how your prejudgment of "Republicans" and "Conservatives" is any different than whatever prejudicial statement was made by Nightmare and deleted by Mod? Pax...
    Last edited by Gil223; 02-10-2014 at 01:48 AM.
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

  8. #8
    Regular Member DrakeZ07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Lexington, Ky
    Posts
    1,107
    Quote Originally Posted by Gil223 View Post
    You paint with a very broad brush. Can you explain how your prejudgment of "Republicans" and "Conservatives" is any different than whatever prejudicial statement was made by Nightmare and deleted by Mod? Pax...
    Nice attempt to bait me into helping you derail the thread. DENIED.
    I'm a proud openly gay open carrier~
    Trained SKYWARN spotter, and veteran Storm Chaser.
    =^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=
    Beware the Pink Camo clad gay redneck.

  9. #9
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,269
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeZ07 View Post
    Oh, hello there Anti-gay personal attack, been a whole 9 hours since I saw one on this forum.
    Off topic, thread derail.

    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeZ07 View Post
    Hey, thanks for taking my comment on your lack of separation between article, and opinion,
    On topic.

    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeZ07 View Post
    and responding with that lovable hate-speech all you conservatives love to throw around. It really makes me feel f*cking awesome, and welcome, and is really excellent for the un-registered public to see, because nothing attracts the Republican party, and its Conservative allies like knowing anti-gay bashing comments are welcome as a response to any comment made by a gay person.
    Off topic, thread derail.

    Another clear example of a liberal who sprinkles in just a smidge of relevancy over the top of their liberalism cake.

    The op postulates, rightly so, whether or not the "kill switch" concept could be applied to a weapon. California is the micro-stamping state, is it not?

  10. #10
    Regular Member DrakeZ07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Lexington, Ky
    Posts
    1,107
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    The op postulates, rightly so, whether or not the "kill switch" concept could be applied to a weapon. California is the micro-stamping state, is it not?
    On topic.

    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Another clear example of a liberal who sprinkles in just a smidge of relevancy over the top of their liberalism cake.
    Off topic.


    Perfect example of a Conservative who takes someone's response to a personal attack on themselves, and spins it into something they can use to attack the person who was originally attacked without cause.

    You seem to have a problem with micro-stamping, but I take it you don't have a problem with your cell phone [assuming you have one], being tracked by the NSA, fedgov, stategov, and the maker of the phone? I don't hear stories of people not only in California, but in other states, protesting micro-stamping, and loudly telling their respective state legislatures to "don't you even think about putting this crap in our state", maybe it's something the majority of the people in that state want. We may not be a democracy, but if the majority of people don't speak out about something, or if those majority told their representatives they like something, it's going to out-weigh a minority number of people who scream against it.

    On the part of the Kill-switch, well, there are, believe it or not, plenty of good applications with such a thing. Putting a kill switch on your vehicle, that could be electronically controlled by you, could make it a lot harder for criminals to steal it and take off with it while you rely on by-stander reports and a lazy LEA to get it back. But then it'd have its problems, where if the .gov got a hold of the control schematics, they could shut off your vehicle whenever they wanted. A kill switch on a phone isn't that bad of an idea. If you're in a state where you cannot legally carry a firearm, concealed or openly, loaded or unloaded, and someone robs you, it's not going to matter if you're a 2A activist or not, you follow the law while you work to get it changed and that may involve not carrying; Would you rather a criminal getting your phone, and jail breaking any security you have and getting access to personal E-data, or would you rather have the opportunity to engage a kill-switch to render it useless. You may never see your phone again [doubtful, most phones have GPS tracking abilities], but at least your e-data would be somewhat safe.

    Although the kill-switch on a firearm is pointless, and stupid, because a firearm is meant to be used as a tool to further destroy any threats to the user. I don't even understand how a kill-switch on a firearm would work, unless the trigger and firing mechanism was push-button like, and like in modern aircraft that are fly-by-wire, the input of the user goes through a computer before being sent out to the plane. Pulling a trigger would have to not do anything at all useful by itself, the signal would have to travel through a computer via wiring, past a micro-processor, through on-board RAM, and would have to by-pass back-up computers as safety, before telling a micro-piston or accurator(sp?), to extend at a rapid force to hit and strike the primer. All that within a micro-second. And 100% fail proof. And that's not even taking into consideration the mechanics,a nd electronics for a kill switch to work. You can't just put a kill switch on a strictly mechanical device, and expect it to disable fully the device, even through tampering.

    Even kill switches on old cars work because old cars, and even lawn mowers, operate with electricity in the functionality.

    I'm not a mechanically oriented person, but common sense and an understanding of how analog, and digital machinery works tells ya a kill switch on a gun is useless with our current technology level. The only reasonable kill switch on any firearm that is proven to work, is the safety mechanism on a friggen 1911.

    Every one is just getting worked up over something that would take a couple decades to implement, and another couple to get all the bugs and glitches out, in a state whose very population is as anti-gun as it's legislators. I say to the gun people there to just move to Nevada, or Oregon, or Arizona, or whatever, where your voice would be heard without a thousand opposition people drowning it out. Think of it this way, modern fighter aircraft have computers the size of a typical cable/DSL modem, with four or five extras just to act as back-ups, to control an entire aircraft. even micro-computer technology today, is no smaller than our cell phones. A pistol would have to have a cell phone sized mini computer built in just to enable a kill switch to work, AND it has to be VERY shock and heat resistant, which is nigh impossible with our technology at present. So let the anti gunners have their kill switch bill, it'll give Californians fifty years to repeal it, and even then I'd bet a federal judge would laugh at the whole thing and give an instant stay on it.

    By the way, OC, I'm not a liberal, I hate them as much as I hate conservatives... which is a metric F-bomb tonne.
    I'm a proud openly gay open carrier~
    Trained SKYWARN spotter, and veteran Storm Chaser.
    =^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=
    Beware the Pink Camo clad gay redneck.

  11. #11
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,269
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeZ07 View Post
    <snip> Perfect example of a Conservative who takes someone's response to a personal attack on themselves, and spins it into something they can use to attack the person who was originally attacked without cause.
    Your propensity to take the low road is well known. Shotgun insults based only on your liberal proclivities is also well known.

    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeZ07 View Post
    You seem to have a problem with micro-stamping, but I take it you don't have a problem with your cell phone [assuming you have one], being tracked by the NSA, fedgov, stategov, and the maker of the phone?<snip>
    Correct and then incorrect. The tracking of any citizen by a cellphone is being conducted. The false choice of cellphone, or no cellphone, is what liberals routinely resort to, to bolster their false premises.

    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeZ07 View Post
    On the part of the Kill-switch, well, there are, believe it or not, plenty of good applications with such a thing. <snip>
    As a concept, you are correct, a "kill-switch" can be a valuable tool. However, when a kill-switch is mandated by the state, liberty demands that we reject the premise. Kill-switches should not be the norm, kill-switches must only be a luxury item, purely optional, and not installed as standard OEM. Let the citizen choose.

    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeZ07 View Post
    Although the kill-switch on a firearm is pointless, and stupid, because a firearm is meant to be used as a tool to further destroy any threats to the user.
    It matters not what the tool/device is meant to be used for, it only matters that the state desires to legislate that a kill-switch be installed, without the owners consent, onto their property. Obviously, retrofitting tools/devices with a kill-switch is problematic. New tools/devices reduces consumer choice to old tools/devices (grandfathered). Businesses may be compelled to install kill-switches to mitigate the risk of state interference in their business.

    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeZ07 View Post
    Even kill switches on old cars work because old cars, and even lawn mowers, operate with electricity in the functionality.
    Kill-switches on lawn mowers does mitigate the risk of injury. This is a good thing. I choose to own a lawn mower that has such a kill-switch instead of installing one myself.

    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeZ07 View Post
    I'm not a mechanically oriented person, but common sense and an understanding of how analog, and digital machinery works tells ya a kill switch on a gun is useless with our current technology level. The only reasonable kill switch on any firearm that is proven to work, is the safety mechanism on a friggen 1911.
    You may be surprised at how easy it would be to instal a "fail-safe" device, a kill-switch if you will. Off the top of my head I can think of one method. Cost would be the only limiting factor. But, when has the cost burden to the citizenry been a deterrent to the state where "safety" is concerned.

    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeZ07 View Post
    Every one is just getting worked up over something that would take a couple decades to implement,.....<snip>
    Google RFID to see where the technology is today. Micro technology is down to the grain of rice, or smaller.

    By the way, OC, I'm not a liberal, I hate them as much as I hate conservatives... which is a metric F-bomb tonne.[/QUOTE]You claiming that you are not a liberal is typical of liberals. It is the rare liberal who will admit that they are a liberal.

    It's a free country and you have the right to diminish the value of your opinions/positions by the words you choose to use when communicating your opinion/position.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,148
    A true anti-progressive conservative, I do not have a smartphone, but a minimalist dumb-cellphone which leaves the junk drawer and battery is charged only for long bicycle rides.

    My lawn mower is a push reel-type mower with no kill-switch, a Fiskars, with which I mow my quarter-mile of roadside, taking four hours per week, all the whilst I wave at the passing tourists ogling my OCW SA1911A1 (neighbors don't even notice).

    FedGov may mandate autos have blackboxes installed to try to make them Smart®-cars. My diesel VW is eleven years old this spring and still going strong. My guru says we can keep it going for as long as my money holds out barring accidents/catastrophic failures. It has already been 'totalled' once by the 2011 Ringgold, Georgia tornado event causing $10K body damage only. Mechanically sound, it was a real sight crabbing along the freeway as I drove the wreckage home to Wisconsin. An uncle has a VW diesel Rabbit L with well over a half-million miles.

    Liberal versus conservative is apples versus oranges. The proper conflict is progressive (that can be liberal or conservative) versus anti-progressive. See what corruption does to our language, having to differentiate conservative from anti-progressive. Oh, w'at tangled webs we weave when first we practice to deceive
    .
    Last edited by Nightmare; 02-11-2014 at 08:37 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  13. #13
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,269
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    A true anti-progressive conservative, I do not have a smartphone, but a minimalist dumb-cellphone which leaves the junk drawer and battery is charged only for long bicycle rides.

    My lawn mower is a push reel-type mower with no kill-switch, a Fiskars, with which I mow my quarter-mile of roadside, taking four hours per week, all the whilst I wave at the passing tourists ogling my OCW SA1911A1 (neighbors don't even notice).

    FedGov may mandate autos have blackboxes installed to try to make them Smart®-cars. My diesel VW is eleven years old this spring and still going strong. My guru says we can keep it going for as long as my money holds out barring accidents/catastrophic failures. It has already been 'totalled' once by the 2011 Ringgold, Georgia tornado event causing $10K body damage only. Mechanically sound, it was a real sight crabbing along the freeway as I drove the wreckage home to Wisconsin. An uncle has a VW diesel Rabbit L with well over a half-million miles.

    Liberal versus conservative is apples versus oranges. The proper conflict is progressive (that can be liberal or conservative) versus anti-progressive. See what corruption does to our language, having to differentiate conservative from anti-progressive. Oh, w'at tangled webs we weave when first we practice to deceive
    .
    You too have succumbed to the PC language bug.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,011
    I have an app by Avast that allows you to get access to your phone from a web browser. You can make it ring, take a photo, locate it (if GPS is on) or disable the phone.
    http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/sma...android-phone/

  15. #15
    Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,318
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    A true anti-progressive conservative, I do not have a smartphone, but a minimalist dumb-cellphone which leaves the junk drawer and battery is charged only for long bicycle rides.

    My lawn mower is a push reel-type mower with no kill-switch, a Fiskars, with which I mow my quarter-mile of roadside, taking four hours per week, all the whilst I wave at the passing tourists ogling my OCW SA1911A1 (neighbors don't even notice).

    FedGov may mandate autos have blackboxes installed to try to make them Smart®-cars. My diesel VW is eleven years old this spring and still going strong. My guru says we can keep it going for as long as my money holds out barring accidents/catastrophic failures. It has already been 'totalled' once by the 2011 Ringgold, Georgia tornado event causing $10K body damage only. Mechanically sound, it was a real sight crabbing along the freeway as I drove the wreckage home to Wisconsin. An uncle has a VW diesel Rabbit L with well over a half-million miles.

    Liberal versus conservative is apples versus oranges. The proper conflict is progressive (that can be liberal or conservative) versus anti-progressive. See what corruption does to our language, having to differentiate conservative from anti-progressive. Oh, w'at tangled webs we weave when first we practice to deceive
    .
    And would I be labeled a progressive by you?

    I can't remember.
    Advocate freedom please

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •