• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

For the "I'm shooting whatever comes through that door" people (happened to me)

509rifas

For the "I'm shooting whatever comes through that door" people (happened to me)

I hear a lot of (or read, more correctly) how people are going to shoot whoever comes crashing through the door without knocking first.
Well, it kinda happened to me (my house, I was at work, fortunately) and my wife was pulled out of bed at gunpoint.
I know it's the toughest pro-2A/4A stance to take, but how many of you would actually do it?

The way my house was you can't really hear knocking on the door from the downstairs corner where the room is, though I would've noticed someone walking upstairs. And if you call out and police believing they are interrupting a burglary tell you to come out with your hands up, and say they are responding to an alarm and you don't have an alarm, what do you think? Burglars pretending to be cops?
Turned out the dispatch had hit the wrong button, and instead of the house across the street, they came to mine.

No, no claim was filed, it was an honest mistake. Though there may be for other stuff done (see my other videos.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln2u7_Apa70

stealthyeliminator

I hear a lot of (or read, more correctly) how people are going to shoot whoever comes crashing through the door without knocking first.
Well, it kinda happened to me (my house, I was at work, fortunately) and my wife was pulled out of bed at gunpoint.
I know it's the toughest pro-2A/4A stance to take, but how many of you would actually do it?

The way my house was you can't really hear knocking on the door from the downstairs corner where the room is, though I would've noticed someone walking upstairs. And if you call out and police believing they are interrupting a burglary tell you to come out with your hands up, and say they are responding to an alarm and you don't have an alarm, what do you think? Burglars pretending to be cops?
Turned out the dispatch had hit the wrong button, and instead of the house across the street, they came to mine.

No, no claim was filed, it was an honest mistake. Though there may be for other stuff done (see my other videos.)

I don't think in the least that I'd ever intentionally shoot a cop, but I will NOT assume that the unidentified person crashing through my door in the early morning is an officer. If I don't have sufficient reason/evidence to know they're a cop by the time they come into my line of fire, I'm firing. No hesitation, nor remorse, I'm guessing. Never been there so I guess I can't say for sure.

davidmcbeth

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRL_WSaMy_E

I like this video better ^^^

He's not stupid .. so he says in the video ... just saying it does not make it so lol

I would not give my life for "my castle" but have no doubt that I would not allow one into my castle unless I desire them there ... and that may result in other folks endangering my life ... and I will defend my life anywhere against any and all who would be willing to harm me.

509rifas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRL_WSaMy_E

I like this video better ^^^

He's not stupid .. so he says in the video ... just saying it does not make it so lol

I would not give my life for "my castle" but have no doubt that I would not allow one into my castle unless I desire them there ... and that may result in other folks endangering my life ... and I will defend my life anywhere against any and all who would be willing to harm me.

Yeah that was certainly a memorable day, another one in many of my interesting relationship with the local PD.

Thread on that one:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?116541-I-was-arrested-for-filming-police-tonight

On the bright side, they don't seem to give a crap about open carry. I see people OCing pretty regularly, even people that doofuses would say "oh no he might be a gang member and/or a convicted felon" because they don't conform to sterotypes of what gun people should look like. I've never heard of a problem with anyone, though one guy was OCing outside that house when SWAT hit it and he got the cuffs put on a little too tight. (The SWAT raid was for a misdemeanor, which I *think* has since been dropped.)

Last edited:

OC for ME

Honest mistake? How many honest mistakes before you take action to mitigate honest mistakes. What justification/authorization does LE cite permitted them to enter upon your property?

Your wife pulled out of bed. How many BGs are sleeping in your bed?

You have made your choice to not hold LE accountable.

So be it.

509rifas

Honest mistake? How many honest mistakes before you take action to mitigate honest mistakes. What justification/authorization does LE cite permitted them to enter upon your property?

Your wife pulled out of bed. How many BGs are sleeping in your bed?

You have made your choice to not hold LE accountable.

So be it.

Usually one honest mistake. I'm limiting what I'm saying on other mistakes as per advice of counsel. (see the video that davicmcbeth liked better.)

509rifas

A community of a few thousand and we have several "isolated incident" what are the odds?

Do we have a collection of these isolated incidents anywhere? It seems it would be useful to have in one place a reference center for the hundreds of isolated incidents that have happened with OCDO members. I've got two myself.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Do we have a collection of these isolated incidents anywhere? It seems it would be useful to have in one place a reference center for the hundreds of isolated incidents that have happened with OCDO members. I've got two myself.

Radley Balko has performed the most thorough research to date:

Overkill: The Rise of Paramilitary Police Raids in America

Of course, the research isn't OC members in particular - and why should it be? The problem certainly is not limited to OCers. That said, those who intend to defend their homes are among the most harmed by the practice of these raids.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Radley Balko has performed the most thorough research to date:

Overkill: The Rise of Paramilitary Police Raids in America

Of course, the research isn't OC members in particular - and why should it be? The problem certainly is not limited to OCers. That said, those who intend to defend their homes are among the most harmed by the practice of these raids.

Don't worry, we still have the right to petition our governments for relief. Just like the Germans had in the 1930's and 40's and the Russians in the mid-1900's....they also had constitutions that stated people could petition their gov't, just like ours.

sudden valley gunner

Might be a good idea.

I haven't had my home invaded but have had several "isolated incidents". Then after me MSGlagae had an isolated incident from some of the same officers.

OC for ME

Police misconduct is not a cop violating the law as would any other citizen. Sex assault, DUI (even on duty), spousal abuse.

Police misconduct is a cop using his authority (color of law) that is contrary to the law.