• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Paper CPL

Ktmden

I am new to the forum. Good to be here. I would like to find out if there has ever been any talk of doing away with the B.S. paper CPL here in Michigan that you have to laminate yourself and have something put on your drivers license like a cycle endorsement? Has this ever been talked about?

Fallschirjmäger

Something more professional would be good, but trust me, you do NOT want an endorsement on your license.
That's just an open invitation to being 'investigated' for a crime you're not committing. For that matter you don't want an remotely accessible database of your license either (but that's what most states seem to like doing.)

xmanhockey7

Depending on the county some licenses are like driver licenses, like Kalamazoo. Mecosta still does paper, but they laminate for you for free. Also I would NOT want my DL to show that I have a CPL.

Last edited:

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
I am new to the forum. Good to be here. I would like to find out if there has ever been any talk of doing away with the B.S. paper CPL here in Michigan that you have to laminate yourself and have something put on your drivers license like a cycle endorsement? Has this ever been talked about?

oakland county issues a plastic CPL. and yes, the DL endorsement idea was floated sometime in the past by a previous secretary of state. but it never went anywhere.

ATM

Campaign Veteran
Ok, Why would it be bad to have an endorsement on the DL?

I know that when similar discussion crops up on other forums, there are a number of "concealed means concealed" proponents who go on and on about it being nobody's business that they own or carry a gun and wouldn't want that knowledge revealed to anyone when they need to use their DL as identification for other purposes.

Open carriers, who generally make little or no attempt to hide their armed status, seem to care less.

Fallschirjmäger

a) You're stopped because an officer confused your car with one of the same color that was speeding. He gets a case of the ****** because you've already interrupted his day. Now he looks at your license and sees you may be armed. Instead of acting rationally he goes all Daniel Harless

b) You're visiting relatives, a new employer, an old flame, whatev's and happen to cross into Maryland. A Maryland Transit Authority officer stops you and sees that you have a pistol license. He goes ballistic.

c) You loose your wallet with your specially marked license inside. It's found by your local gang-banger. Guess who's home he can now reasonably suspect has a firearm for the thieving? Alternately, he may impersonate a good neighbor and offer to return it to you at a neutral location. While there your home is unattended or you may be meeting at what you think is a rendezvous but is actually an ambush.

I have long wondered at the government's insistence at putting a citizen's address on Everything it can, while at the same time doing as much as it can to ensure that it's employee's addresses, car licenses and other documents are shielded.

Aside from the convenience to the government, I can't think of any reason at all why a citizen's address should appear on his license, that information is available at a moment's notice from centralized records.

Raggs

a) You're stopped because an officer confused your car with one of the same color that was speeding. He gets a case of the ****** because you've already interrupted his day. Now he looks at your license and sees you may be armed. Instead of acting rationally he goes all Daniel Harless

b) You're visiting relatives, a new employer, an old flame, whatev's and happen to cross into Maryland. A Maryland Transit Authority officer stops you and sees that you have a pistol license. He goes ballistic.

c) You loose your wallet with your specially marked license inside. It's found by your local gang-banger. Guess who's home he can now reasonably suspect has a firearm for the thieving? Alternately, he may impersonate a good neighbor and offer to return it to you at a neutral location. While there your home is unattended or you may be meeting at what you think is a rendezvous but is actually an ambush.

I have long wondered at the government's insistence at putting a citizen's address on Everything it can, while at the same time doing as much as it can to ensure that it's employee's addresses, car licenses and other documents are shielded.

Aside from the convenience to the government, I can't think of any reason at all why a citizen's address should appear on his license, that information is available at a moment's notice from centralized records.

Because my CPL would not lead to the same problem? I generally carry my DL and my CPL in the same wallet. I often open carry as do many on this forum.

xmanhockey7

a) When the officer runs your name he'll know you have a CPL also if you're armed when stopped you're required to inform. One time me and my friend were stopped after leaving a bar over a banner that was stolen from the bar. 10 minutes into the 30 minute stop (and about 10 cops from 3 different departments standing around) I was asked where the gun was. Now nothing had been mentioned at this point about a gun except when we were first stopped we were asked if we had any guns or knives. The fact I had a CPL didn't even cross my mind. I asked "What gun?" The cop said I had a CCW so he wanted to know where my gun was. I told him it was at home. He took my word for it and didn't search me or anything.

b) Agreed

c) Agree with the post above me. If they go through my wallet they'll find my CPL.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
I wouldn't want it, because many people look at a GL for ID purposes and some of them may treat you different or make decisions not in your favor because they see you have a CPL

Doctor office
lab blood work
traffic stop
employment
Insurance
Banking
ETC.

I just would want it for those people to see.